Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

Probably traffic jams.

I know things are looking on the mild side, but

heading for the beaches already?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Probably traffic jams.

But maybe not on this thread. :search::acute:

Oh well, it is only the weather and it is changeable as it so often is in the UK at the moment.

Perosnally I'm awaiting tonights action, let's see what it brings for this part of the world. :p

I have cross-posted the following from the Winter storms thread.

SKYWARN UK SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING #003

ISSUED: 1200UTC WEDNESDAY 4TH JANUARY 2012

SKYWARN UK HAS ISSUED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR THE FOLLOWING REGIONS:

SCOTLAND NORTHERN ENGLAND WALES MIDLANDS EASTERN ENGLAND SOUTHEASTERN ENGLAND

IN EFFECT UNTIL 1200UTC THURSDAY 5TH JANUARY 2012

A SUB-970MB LOW DEVELOPING TO THE NORTHEAST, AND ACTIVE FRONTAL ZONE WITH STRONGLY FORCED CONVECTION ALONG AND BEHIND

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS ARE EXPECTED IMMINENTLY, OR OCCURRING, SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE INDICATED REGIONS IN THE TIME PERIOD SPECIFIED. THREATS WITHIN THIS WATCH INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:

STRONG GUSTS...HEAVY RAIN...HAIL...T1/T2 TORNADOES...FLOODING

DISCUSSION:

THERE IS STRONG MODEL CONFIDENCE OF A POSSIBLE SEVERE WEATHER EVENT ACROSS NORTHERN, CENTRAL AND EASTERN PARTS OF THE UK DURING THE PERIOD. SHORTWAVES AROUND THE DEEP TROUGH TO THE NORTH ARE ENGAGED BY A VERY STRONG AND DEEP JETSTREAM FROM THE NORTHWEST, INSPIRING DEVELOPMENT OF A LOW CENTRE WHICH REINVIGORATES THE PREVIOUS LOW OVER THE NORTH SEA AND BALTIC SEA AREAS. A DISTURBED COLD FRONT SWEEPS SOUTHEAST FROM LATE EVENING WITH A SIGNIFICANT DRY AIR INTRUSION BEHIND, AHEAD OF WHICH GALES AND HEAVY RAIN ARE EXPECTED ACROSS MOST AREAS INCLUDING THOSE ADJACENT TO THE WARNING AREA. RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OVER AND IN LEE OF HIGH GROUND OF THE HIGHLANDS, SOUTHERN UPLANDS, PENNINES AND SNOWDONIA MAY BE ENHANCED BY STRONG WINDS TO EXCEED 40MM DURING THE FRONTAL PASSAGE. AREAS EAST OF HIGH GROUND MAY ALSO INCUR FOHN EFFECTS BRINGING 60KT 950MB WINDS TO SURFACE. THE DRY AIR INTRUDING INTO THE MID LEVELS ALONG AND BEHIND THE FRONT WILL GENERATE STRONG LOW TO MID LEVEL INSTABILITY, WITH THE 180KT JETSTREAM AND 60KT LOW LEVEL JET CREATING AMPLE FORCING FOR STRONG CONVECTIVE ELEMENTS. LINE CONVECTION IS POSSIBLE INTO THE EARLY HOURS, BUT THE STRONG UPPER FLOW IS EXPECTED TO BREAK THIS DOWN TO FRAGMENTS OF ORGANISED CONVECTION INTO THE MORNING. HOWEVER, GOOD DIRECTIONAL SHEAR ALONG THE FRONT COUPLED WITH INSTABILITY AND A STRONG 950MB WIND MAY SEE VERY STRONG CONVECTIVE GUSTS TO 70KTS ASSOCIATED WITH ORGANISED CONVECTION, WITH A POSSIBILITY OF TORNADOES. ALTHOUGH THE POST-FRONTAL ENVIRONMENT IS LESS SHEARED, CONTINUED STRONG INSTABILITY ALONG THE AIRMASS BOUNDARY AND FURTHER SURFACE SHORTWAVING OVER NORTHERN SCOTLAND WILL GENERATE TRAINS OF HEAVY SHOWERS WITH STRONG GUSTS MOSTLY ACROSS WESTERN COASTS THOUGH PENETRATING FAR INLAND FROM OROGRAPHIC TRIGGERING OVER HIGH GROUND, POSSIBLY WITH PRECIPITATION TURNING TO SNOW IN THE FAR NORTH. PLEASE MONITOR WEATHER AND TRAVEL INFO AS NECESSARY.

Thanks to Coast for posting the above and lets hope we get another active squall. :acute:

Something to watch.

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Something to watch.

From the shelter of my bed I think! :ph34r:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Some entertainment for tonight, maybe?

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=forecast;type=alert;reg=7;sess=

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Anyone that is in the know please can you answer this,just got back from work and have been reading posts on the atlantic storm thread,also seen the alert from netweather,are we in for more fun and games tonight? and if so what sort of winds are we talking about? thanks in advance :drinks:

Posted

Anyone that is in the know please can you answer this,just got back from work and have been reading posts on the atlantic storm thread,also seen the alert from netweather,are we in for more fun and games tonight? and if so what sort of winds are we talking about? thanks in advance :drinks:

Hi Marie, Expect wind speed of +/- 30 mph tonight into tomorrow early afternoon. Wind gusts could reach +/- 50 mph. Don't be surprised of slightly higher gusts. Also, expect heavy driving rain.

Posted

Hi Marie, Expect wind speed of +/- 30 mph tonight into tomorrow early afternoon. Wind gusts could reach +/- 50 mph. Don't be surprised of slightly higher gusts. Also, expect heavy driving rain.

Thanks Yamkin,why have the metoffice not given warnings for our area? are the wind speeds expected not fast enough to warrant warnings?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

The weather today: Default wet murky = PANTS!!!! end of. :wallbash: lol

Posted

Thanks Yamkin,why have the metoffice not given warnings for our area? are the wind speeds expected not fast enough to warrant warnings?

Marie, don't worry about the MetO and whether they have or haven't got warnings out. Re-read a few of the posts on here and over on the winter storm thread and you will find out what you need to know. :good:

Be prepared for the worst is all I can say.

Posted

I dont think the projected windspeeds warrant a warning at this stage Marie though that may change later. As Yamkins says gusts on the coast could reach 50mph+ for a time though. The poster Coast has been giving some very good updates here :

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/72127-atlantic-storms-january-part-2/page__pid__2203544__st__100#entry2203544

It looks as though in your part of the world 3am onwards is the likely timeline.

Posted

The weather today: Default wet murky = PANTS!!!! end of. :wallbash: lol

Thanks for that John. ;) Any more moaning from members and this thread will probably end up LOCKED.

I don't make the weather but it certainly is in an energetic state at the moment :diablo: BUT IT WILL CHANGE before long. :air_kiss:

Chins up people and Best Wishes

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Marie, don't worry about the MetO and whether they have or haven't got warnings out. Re-read a few of the posts on here and over on the winter storm thread and you will find out what you need to know. :good:

Be prepared for the worst is all I can say.

I dont think the projected windspeeds warrant a warning at this stage Marie though that may change later. As Yamkins says gusts on the coast could reach 50mph+ for a time though. The poster Coast has been giving some very good updates here :

http://forum.netweat...00#entry2203544

It looks as though in your part of the world 3am onwards is the likely timeline.

Thanks guys,wait and see now what occurs

Posted

I am pretty surprised at just how windy it is tonight seems a consistent wind aswell,the lamp post outside my window is swaying,could this be worse than what people are expecting? :drinks:

Posted

I am pretty surprised at just how windy it is tonight seems a consistent wind aswell,the lamp post outside my window is swaying,could this be worse than what people are expecting? :drinks:

Depends on who you listen to, what model you choose to follow etc.

My post above no.4 suggested an eventful time tonight and thats still how I see it. This is a developing situation. :air_kiss:

Latest readings from me are current temperature 8.0c, Air Pressure 1008.3hpa and falling rapidly, 2.2mm rainfall and quite a bit still to arrive. Max gust so far 36mph at 18:00 but am expecting gusts exceeding 50mph even in my sheltered locality.

What will be, will be but at least there's something to watch. Hopefully, there will be many posts tracking the potential squall over on the winter storm thread too. :good:

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted

Depends on who you listen to, what model you choose to follow etc.

My post above no.4 suggested an eventful time tonight and thats still how I see it. This is a developing situation. :air_kiss:

Latest readings from me are current temperature 8.0c, Air Pressure 1008.3hpa and falling rapidly, 2.2mm rainfall and quite a bit still to arrive. Max gust so far 36mph at 18:00 but am expecting gusts exceeding 50mph even in my sheltered locality.

What will be, will be but at least there's something to watch. Hopefully, there will be many posts tracking the potential squall over on the winter storm thread too. :good:

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Thank you,got a feeling about this one and i dont know why lol

Posted

When is this storm going to reach its peak, is it going to cause disruption tommorow morning ?

The squall is the main concern as the gusts could well bring down a few more trees and bring about flying wheelie bins, trampolines, children and the like. Ok, I jest but come tomorrow morning after the CF has cleared, it is only then that we will know of the damage inflicted. See the posts on the atlantic storm thread for clarification but I understand the squall should arrive in your region sometime around 3am. Will it show itself and will it hold itself together is a case of radar and satellite watching come the time I'm afraid. :sorry::good:

Windy Regards

gottolovethisweather

Posted

The storm force gusts are prgogressing on their way I would say.

Two recent gusts of 40mph in my sheltered locality at 22:03 and 22:05 respectively and you would usually have to add another 10-15mph on top of that to get a true reading.

Barometer is 1006.6hpa which is trending as falling rapidly (approx. 1hpa per half hour but inconsistent) having been 1021.0hpa at one point today.

It must have already gusted in the region of 50mph down sarf and I expect many stronger gusts to come from midnight onwards. :drinks:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Its been breezy in this part of London for the last 4 or 5 hours. Unlike yesterday's on and off event, with an impressive squall line thrown into the mix, this is near constant strong winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow and Hot Sun

the winds seem much stronger tonight than yesterday! I've opened my window for the full effect lol