Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - January 2012

Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I spotted that earlier as well but not too sure what to make of it, the SatRep website had it marked as a Polar Low earlier this morning but don't really know much about those! Anybody got an idea what that might be?

The 12z MetO Fax chart shows it as a secondary(?) low feature surrounded by a trough.

I'm only guessing this by looking at the charts. Someone with better knowledge would be best to answer what it is and what it might result in, but by looks of it so far, a rash of heavy showers heading our way! We've already had a fair few rattle through behind the cold front earlier.

post-15172-0-16562400-1325601591_thumb.p

Edited by Bugganuts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms.

The 12z MetO Fax chart shows it as a secondary(?) low feature surrounded by a trough.

Hadn't seen that fax chart. Just asked about it over on the SkyWarn forum as well and it may be an mid-upper low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Hadn't seen that fax chart. Just asked about it over on the SkyWarn forum as well and it may be an mid-upper low.

Ask the MetOffice via twitter, they always reply very quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

what would it bring? rain? snow? more severe gales?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything not grey and damp

Really glad there are some interesting features still to play out of this one. Had a really good time last night, windy enough to be fun but nothing to excessive.

Should be seeing a bit of an increase in wind this afternoon and evening. Currently its partly cloudy with 20-40mph westerlies and the temp is 7.2c.

Do have one gripe, i was hoping all that rain would wash away the mud outside, no, its still like the somme.

Posted

Quite poorly forecast by the authorities in Britain particularly the Irish Met at least had the forecast out last night.

HisRes models such as Hirlam and NAE always suggested the possibility of a sting jet in the regions it hit.

Fortunately for the Met it was hitting a location relatively used to very high winds, although some were not so fortunate.

Really underwent rapid deepening last night with the K4 buoy reporting a fall of 15MB in 3 hours last night indicating just

how quickly this thing was deepening and racing.

All time 10 minute mean windspeed record has preliminary been recorded at Malin Head @ 68KT according to Met Eireann

beating the previous record by 1kt!

Still shows that this little beast really packed a punch, most notable by having a really tight gradient around its southwest core and of course the cold front which gave my location the highest wind gusting to 58KT but with sustained 44KT winds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Little respite from the wind, further westerly gales or severe gales affecting many areas especially towards the north & west by Wednesday evening. Not as severe as today but still very windy conditions likely, 70mph gusts which will hamper any clear up or damage repair after today's storm.

Very strong winds progged for Thursday morning over the NW, 80-85km/h 10 mean speeds.

post-9615-0-56782200-1325604327_thumb.gi

post-9615-0-11305000-1325604330_thumb.gi

post-9615-0-04818600-1325604333_thumb.gi

Edited by Liam J

Posted

I thought I would head over to Hayling Island to take a look at the sea state, although I did not expect to see much excitement as the storm did not coincide with high tide. But, I did catch this! This is normally quite a busy junction but thankfully not today when this happened.

http://youtu.be/7HwYjqASvY0

I will post more video later today.

Posted

Is it possible to confirm whether we had a sting jet over central Scotland? Or were the stonger than generally forecast winds due to a slightly different shape and pressure gradient within the Low, combined with the speed at which the system itself was travelling through at?

Compliments to Roger Smith who called this pretty well last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

I thought I would head over to Hayling Island to take a look at the sea state, although I did not expect to see much excitement as the storm did not coincide with high tide. But, I did catch this! This is normally quite a busy junction but thankfully not today when this happened.

Nice capture Adi - glad no-one was under the tree as it fell! Was the sea state interesting?

Whilst it has not really stopped being windy here today I'm now watching my weather station with interest as the gusts are steadily increasing again (latest is 40.9 kmh) which I wasn't expecting having thought it was all over for now!

Posted

Interesting high resolution Modis sat. image at 1300. Courtesy "NERC Satellite Receiving Station, Dundee University, Scotland" http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/

Yes the Sat images for the last 12 hours are wonderful!

Goodness, great timing and a relief the van coming the other way wasn't a few secs earlier!

Posted

B2147 buoy in the North Sea is recording a mean of 69mph, still way behind Malin Head this morning with a mean off 77mph (gust 105mph) !!

Good video capture Adi, that could have caused a serious accident and I hope nobody got injured.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme.....

Wow, what amazing clippage. Thanks for sharing and thank god though you weren't caught up in that....Your accompanying expression and comments summed it up perfectly !!

Posted

Nice capture Adi - glad no-one was under the tree as it fell! Was the sea state interesting?

Whilst it has not really stopped being windy here today I'm now watching my weather station with interest as the gusts are steadily increasing again (latest is 40.9 kph) which I wasn't expecting having thought it was all over for now!

Hi Purplepixii

Yeah I am glad no one was under the tree when it fell, I did have a good look to make sure no one was under it and I had my medic pack in the car.

The sea was not that interesting, the wind was not blowing on shore. The wind and rain, hail and stones were more interesting than the sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold blasts, snowy Summer hot sultry thunderstorms

I think a load of posts have blown away...............................

Posted

Never have the three letters O M G been more appropriate!

Posted

Never have the three letters O M G been more appropriate!

LOL as you can hear 'OMG' was not what came to mind!

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder
Posted · Hidden by Harps, January 3, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Harps, January 3, 2012 - No reason given

Highest mean wind speed ever recorded at Malin Head last night if figures are verified, quite a storm!

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=143