Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Does look windy on Monday night, nothing too severe but probably gales for a brief time...

I agree with you, it seems that we will feel the worst around 4ish pm until the eairly morning. Who ever said bout riding to work then it should be fine except abit breezy!

Posted

At the moment it looks that It'll start kicking off Monday evening and then through the night clearing Tuesday daytime. (nice and ambiguous!!) The Thursday/Friday event Is looking to be an overnight as well, but we are still 96 hours away, so the beast could do anything between now and Thursday.

So it is wind for Tuesday, what is the 'Beast' on Friday, is it snow? or more wind?

Posted

So it is wind for Tuesday, what is the 'Beast' on Friday, is it snow? or more wind?

What it is is a area of very low pressure with tight isobars moving across the UK the lowest pressure is in Scotland. The isobars are still very tight down our way, tighter than Monday/Tuesday. So yes wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

At the moment it's looking like another wind event. Over on the model thread there's a lot of speculation around it potentially being more significant than Tuesday, and some ideas pointing to some colder air being sucked down following it, although this will depend on many different factors. I'm not sticking my neck out for snow just yet, more concentrating on not getting blown away!

Whatever happens, it'll certainly be a week to watch.

Jo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Hi fellow southerners!! :hi: So glad to have found this thread after finding NW a few mths ago (as a complete and utter novice!!) and reading so much good winter news for the North - ggrrr, lol!!

Just a bit about me - I love just SEASONAL weather - as we're supposed to have it and what keeps life interesting every 3mths, ha!! So a lovely hot Summer, a warm - crisp Autumn, a lovely cold n snowy Winter, followed by a nice warm/showery spring!! I'm guessing that for the best part of the year (other than the winter months where everyone seems to want snow!) we're probably the luckiest corner of the UK with our above ave temps and dryness (although too dry presently!) but we just have to hope that for Dec-Feb, somewhere along the line, something goes in our favour and we end up with a nice easterly bringing us some snowy experiences here and there - or if not, for a sustained period!! I have always loved the weather but it was only by stumbling on this forum that I've learnt quite a bit - however still have LOADS to learn and am still often reading between the abbreviations/long scientific words :huh: to try to get an idea of what might be coming up!!!

Anyway, here's hoping that somewhere along the line we get some of the white stuff... in the mean time, guess we should be looking out for the gales this week - MO currently downgraded the gales for Mon/Tues IMBY (Epsom, Surrey) so lets see what they say about the end of the week in the next couple of days....

Anyway, nice chatting with you all - also spotting there seems to be more women here??!! I thought I was on me own a bit in the scientific world of men :winky:

H.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Welcome to the forum weathergeek:) I've been lurking here for a while trying to learn something and I know much more now than when I started but not enough to make a call on a forecast! Winter is my favorite time on here and it's good that we all have these storms to talk about when there is no snow on the horizon, I love the way things can change tho, and who knows what the rest of the winter will bring:)

Posted

Ahhh, nothing like the potential for a few good storms to get me through the last week of school! Im looking forward to seeing how this will play out :) each new model run is like opening a door on me advent calender!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Looks like a pretty action packed week, even for us in the SE.

Late Monday into early Tuesday it looks like getting rather windy across the SE and through the channel especially, as a tight pressure gradient develops as a frontal system moves through during the night:

post-1052-0-82316100-1323613691_thumb.pnpost-1052-0-61089500-1323613703_thumb.pn

Cold air filters in from the west Tuesday onwards, so wouldn't be surprised if there's even some wintriness in any heavier showers or on the back edge of rain bands moving through - more particularly higher ground over 100m. Wednesday sees sub 528dam air across much of southern UK:

post-1052-0-77657700-1323613863_thumb.pn

Then the biggy looks like coming early Friday, the north looks to bear the brunt of the worst wind gusts but even down here we could see some big gusts.

Posted

What it is is a area of very low pressure with tight isobars moving across the UK the lowest pressure is in Scotland. The isobars are still very tight down our way, tighter than Monday/Tuesday. So yes wind.

Okay Thanks Liam, at least theres going to some kind of exciting weather down here even if its not snow, at least maybe this thread will become more busy if anything!

At the moment it's looking like another wind event. Over on the model thread there's a lot of speculation around it potentially being more significant than Tuesday, and some ideas pointing to some colder air being sucked down following it, although this will depend on many different factors. I'm not sticking my neck out for snow just yet, more concentrating on not getting blown away!

Whatever happens, it'll certainly be a week to watch.

Jo

Thanks 4 the info Jo, im more hoping for some kind of snow event, im sure thats quite unlikely though. Ive tried looking at that model thread before too confusing for me + they seem to argue a lot :lol: , anyway im sure you dont want it too windy, dont want trampolines rolling down your street (you might not of seen the vid).

Posted

I saw the video! I don't know if there are any 80's kids here that remember the green turtle sandpits we all used to have, but that video reminded me of when our one took off down the rows of gardens during the 87 storm.

I'd be quite partial to a snow event too, but I am not sure just how cold the end of the week will be for it. We can keep our fingers crossed!

And welcome to anyone new posting today! :)

Jo

Posted
Posted · Hidden by TomIOW, December 11, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by TomIOW, December 11, 2011 - No reason given

I live on the Isle of Wight and have been keeping my eye on this for the last 6 days. I'm a big girls blouse when it comes to rough ferries and I'm unfortunate enough to be on a course in Southampton on Monday and Tuesday, I have booked a hotel lol. Going to try and skulk back in the gap of less windy weather between wednesday and thursday night.

Having looked at models for around 7 years I am genuinaly surprised at the lack of official warnings in place. The south coast will get their first battering for a good while.

Posted

I have to say that I've found the chopping n changing of models and some peoples reactions to them sooooo confusing!!! The models say something for a couple of days and it's hyped right up and gets me dusting off my hat/scarf - dare I say snowboots :o - all for it to then fall flat when I log on the next morning for the next (not so exciting!) update!!! I now know to take it all with a pinch (or cupfull!) of salt and wait until the patterns are consistant, across all models and not more than about 3/4 days in advance - but boy did I go through some major disappointments before I learnt that one :lol: !!

As I said, still so much to learn but it's enjoyable!! I'm nowhere near expecting a white christmas down here but would like a sunny/frosty start then I need a bit of cloud cover so it gets all dull outside, cosy inside and my table candles glow nicely - too much sun and you can't see them, lol!!

Jo - I remember the turtle sandpits!! I remember the 87 storm and remember seeing whole sheds lifted up and displaced - and then funnily enough, a guy who'd put a bucket over a hole in his flat roof, woke up to find the bucket hadn't moved??!!! :o

H.

Posted

Well it's raining pretty darn hard here at the moment and has been for the past 40 minutes or so.....

A gentle lumber up before tomorrow evening? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Well its been a lovely day so far lots of sunshine , blue sky and very calm,lets see what tonight brings :smilz38:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The Radio 4 lunchtime forecast called for wintry showers 'even in Souther counties' for either tomorrow or Wednesday. I've already forgotten which! :blush:

Posted

The wind is picking up, and the pressure is dropping. Looking forward to this!

Posted

Yes, the wind has become noticeable here as well. It rained for about half an hour and has stopped again. Few gusts earlier, but now the wind is err, windier, and more sustained. A good measure will be when my boiler pilot light blows out, which it tends to do during the windiest weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Drifting Snow in easterly winds, biting wind chill!

Heavy Rain approaching on the radar, a big dollop infact! http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Wind is strong, gusty with light rain currently in Dagenham East.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Heavy Rain approaching on the radar, a big dollop infact! http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Yes, a lot of rain tonight. Welcome to the forum Gregg.

Blowing a lot here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Really getting going here now can occasionally here the wind and rain over the telly and through the double glazing and it's woken my son up twice not a night to be out. Feel for those that have to be

Posted

Wishing that radar was showing how much white stuff was falling :( - sorry, I sulk, should be glad of the water down here!

Don't understand why Meto issuing severe weather warning of snow for SE but no snow on actual forecast?!

H.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

A lot of wind and rain here, but just doesn't do it for me sorry