Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

29th November - 6th December 2011 Atlantic Storms

Posted

Trees blown down and power cuts as Greater Manchester hit by gale force winds

Gale-force winds felled trees and caused a power cut early today. A couple had a lucky escape after high winds sent a 50ft tree crashing onto their house on Woodheys Drive in Sale. David Thomas and his partner Lisa were woken by the noise of the tree hitting their bedroom window, which remarkably, did not break the glass. IT security consultant David, 41, whose 12-year-old son Josh was in the house when the tree fell, said: "We just heard this massive, big thud and looked out of the window to see this tree. "Suffice to say, we didn't get much sleep last night. " Another fallen tree blocked Ashley Road in Hale at about 7am, causing traffic chaos and a power cut.

C_71_article_1467180_image_list_image_list_item_0_image.jpg

The electricity supply was cut at some 2,500 homes around the Altrincham area at about 7.30am. A tree fallen tree also blocked Stafford Road in Eccles. Council officials were at all three scenes this morning attempting to remove the trees. A weather observation centre at Manchester Airport recorded a 46mph gust of wind – officially regarded as gale-force - at about 8.50am.

And the Met Office today warned winds are about to get even stronger. A severe weather warning already covers Scotland and the North East because of dangerously high winds. Met office spokesman Dan Williams said: "The winds in Manchester this morning are very normal for the time of year. "In fact, tomorrow and Friday we are expecting even stronger winds. The weather warning in place doesn't cover Manchester but for a while tomorrow we are expecting a windy day across the UK with gusts of up to 60mph. There is a possibility of things like trees coming down."

C_71_article_1467180_image_list_image_list_item_2_image.jpg

A spokesman for Electricity Northwest confirmed a power cut in Altrincham at about 7.30am, saying most affected homes were automatically restored within six minutes. Engineers were sent and restored electricity to all but 20 homes by 9.41am. The spokesman said electricity generators were being scrambled to the area to get power to the remaining 20 homes.

http://menmedia.co.u...ale-force-winds

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Winds were gusting to 70-80mph up here, no warning whatsoever, Now Cumbria has an amber alert for tomorrow.... Now I'm worried! :crazy:

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16065842

"Forecasters say the central lowlands in Scotland are set to be hit by strong wings on Thursday in the latter part of the afternoon and early evening."

OK, I dont think it'll be that bad lol.

On a serious note, they say "with northern England seeing winds of up to 50mph". I think it'll be more like 60mph in northern England even inland.

Edited by chris93

Posted

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16065842

"Forecasters say the central lowlands in Scotland are set to be hit by strong wings on Thursday in the latter part of the afternoon and early evening."

OK, I dont think it'll be that bad lol.

On a serious note, they say "with Northern England seeing winds of up to 50mph ". I think it'll be more like 60mph in northern England even inland.

LOL the mean speeds will be higher than that! you'd think the BBC would have to correct info off the Meto, but that's the media for you.

Posted

is the centre of the low passing over the far north of the scottish mainland? so how windy does anyone reckon it will be here then? :)

Posted

If we look at the gust charts for 18z Thursday from the GFS & NMM models in good agrrement of the strongest gusts being over SW Scotland and NW England, which is below the red alert area on the Meto.

post-9615-0-65431400-1323263282_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-28618800-1323263293_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Snow warnings are back for Friday

Orkney & Shetland

Highlands & Eilean Siar

Grampian

Strathclyde

Central, Tayside & Fife

SW Scotland, Lothian Borders

Northern Ireland

Wales

North West England

Same for Saturday as well

Issued at - 07 Dec 2011, 12:29

Valid from - 09 Dec 2011, 00:00

Valid to - 10 Dec 2011, 23:59

A cold north northwesterly airstream will become established across the UK. Snow showers are likely to affect many parts, giving accumulations to low levels in the north. Accumulations will tend to be confined to higher ground across north Wales and much of northwest England. Untreated surfaces will also become icy at times.

Edited by Gavin D

Posted

Somewhat confused by the Met Office warning. The low moves southeast into Friday morning and yet no translation for this on the map, anyone would think the low was simply passing west to east and little change for any shift in direction south of where its being progged to cross. Given the circumstances i'd have at least lowered the amber level to across the Pennines given the altitudes and topographic enhancement.

Posted

70mph sustained winds over the Irish Sea, hammering into NW England.

Easily scope for gusts of 100mph.

post-9615-0-75291300-1323263988_thumb.gi

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Gusty morning in the fenland lowlands. Patio table took off which is a first. It's now calmed down a great deal but I suspect the worst is to come..

Posted

I notice that there is a red warning on the met office for the central belt of scotland ouchie. This really could be quite a storm here. The weather at the moment really is interesting watching at the moment. i must agree that the jet stream is doing all sorts at the moment. such a volatile situation that amazed at t96 and beyond is fi

Posted

Severe westerly gales still battering Cumbria this afternoon, gusts 65mph+

Really stormy with squally hail showers and powerful wind gusts.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Scotland's most populous area is under a Red Warning for wind.

Rush hour is going to be interesting..

Posted

Scotland's most populous area is under a Red Warning for wind.

Rush hour is going to be interesting..

the red warning is not for today but Thursday and Friday!

Posted

weatherboy, yep, eye going right over us and we'll get a hammering from nw when she passes over by the looks. Been out with my lorry ratchet straps tying the essentials down this afternoon. i'm always mostly worried what my neighbours havna tied down and comes straight for us.

Posted

The area of strongest damaging winds will be wider than the Meto red alert which understandably highlights the areas of highest population likely to be affected by the storm hence the red warning, Northern Ireland and Northerm England will be also hit hard with gusts of over 80mph.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

the red warning is not for today but Thursday and Friday!

Yup I know, that's what I meant lol

Still bravo to the Met for releasing a Red Warning.. haven't seen one of those for a while (I believe one was released for the February 2009 snow event for the SE)

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yup I know, that's what I meant lol

Still bravo to the Met for releasing a Red Warning.. haven't seen one of those for a while (I believe one was released for the February 2009 snow event for the SE)

There was one last December for Heavy snow down south can't remember the exact lotation.

Posted

There was one last December for Heavy snow down south can't remember the exact lotation.

There was one issued for Eastern Northern Ireland last winter.

Posted

Really? Down south, but not for south Yorkshire/north Midlands that got hammered by days of continuous snowfall, with some places getting 30 inches? Met Office really have their priorities wrong

Posted

What I can't understand is, model guidance is progging storm force winds affecting NW England with sustained winds of 60mph on the coast, even inland mean speeds of 45mph+ and over the Irish sea up to 70mph sustained winds. This will cause major disruption over this area but little mention on the TV forecasts of wind away from that small area of red, looking at the forecast speeds they are actually higher over SW Scotland and NW England than the red area.

post-9615-0-19572500-1323268281_thumb.pn

post-9615-0-67949900-1323268292_thumb.pn

Edited by Liam J

Posted

little mention on the TV forecasts of wind away from that small area of red,

I suspect they are monitoring the track and intensity through the afternoon and getting ready to give more advice and updates on the teatime and 10 o'clock bulletins. Best to be sure eh?