Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring Snowfall

leicsnow

Posted

March 2013 should be remembered for a long time, it will have changed many people's perceptions that the chances of decent snowfalls and long lasting snow in March can't occur any more. Indeed March 2013 ended up being colder and snowier than many a December, January and February between 1988-2008.

I compare March 2013 to December 2010, an exceptionally cold snowy month - and very unexpected. We seem to be a very different place compared to where were 10 years ago.

• Like 3

Posted

I don't know whether I dreamt this, and my Mum does back me up on this. But when I was 6 in 1991, I remember it snowing in May - we were living in Birmingham at the time. Is this really a true event?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I don't know whether I dreamt this, and my Mum does back me up on this. But when I was 6 in 1991, I remember it snowing in May - we were living in Birmingham at the time. Is this really a true event?

I dont really remember May 1991..dont remember any snow..i do remember that May 89, 90 and 92 were all warm and sunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

I dont really remember May 1991..dont remember any snow..i do remember that May 89, 90 and 92 were all warm and sunny

1995 i think we had many ground frosts and i remember we had more than a week where we had  snow flurries.1996 was even colder with some frosts

1995 i think we had many ground frosts and i remember we had more than a week where we had  snow flurries.1996 was even colder with some frosts

in may that is

• Like 1

<...> I compare March 2013 to December 2010, an exceptionally cold snowy month - and very unexpected. We seem to be a very different place compared to where were 10 years ago.

I would agree with that. Between 1996-2006 we saw some very lean years of snow, and very warm summers. Snow disappeared completely 3 times from Scotland between these dates, where it had only done so twice in the few hundred years before this. Since then, though, there's been a return to more unpredictable and generally cooler winters.The big question is, of course, is this itself a blip on an otherwise warming picture?
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

20 years ago

wow really...seems like yesterday..where does the time go!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

archives-1991-5-1-0-0.png?

• Like 1

Posted

The latest snowfall I've recorded here was on May 4th 2010. This was exceptional given that only 4 days earlier the temperature had hit 29c. Several cold records were broken across this region aswell as towards Carcassonne.

post-1206-0-98090200-1425298267_thumb.gi

It's not that unusual to get snow in the Pyrenees in May however the altitude here is only 1,250 feet, snow was also recorded further east at lower elevations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

The greatest setups for blizzards snow drifting etc always from this direction,spring included.

Even though uppers are not low at all.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/archive/ra/2001/Rrea00120010317.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

3 years ago today a real surprise snowfall. A week before it had been 20C, and there had been practically no snow all "winter", including one day when it managed to rain at -1C. So it was really surprising to wake up to a blanket of white on April 4th 2012. Forecasts the night beforehad been for rain with "a bit of wintriness possible" sort of thing. We got 2-3cm of snow that lasted till around midday, making it the biggest snowfall of 2011-12. Anyone else get this?

Edited by Summer of 95
  • Like 1

Posted

3 years ago today a real surprise snowfall. A week before it had been 20C, and there had been practically no snow all "winter", including one day when it managed to rain at -1C. So it was really surprising to wake up to a blanket of white on April 4th 2012. Forecasts the night beforehad been for rain with "a bit of wintriness possible" sort of thing. We got 2-3cm of snow that lasted till around midday, making it the biggest snowfall of 2011-12. Anyone else get this?

We got this the day before on the 3rd of

April. post-2744-0-60235300-1428148352_thumb.jppost-2744-0-61843500-1428148366_thumb.jppost-2744-0-62034500-1428148380_thumb.jp

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

We had about an inch on that day in April 2012, but it was far from our biggest snowfall of the winter, as we had 15cm in February.