Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Temperature And Frost Watch -19th To 20th Of October 2011

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

It has fell to 2.0c again, but it should rise again imo. Should I lay ice against my grass and patio to get a ground frost?!

1.9c, let me turn this frown upside down and say sorry for bothering y'all!

A small variation in temperature, you're probably drawing moisture from the sea, how I don't know, but other people have said that. :lol:

I remember a similar thing last winter, the temperature was fluctuating between -8C and -1C. All in the space of literally minutes, in 5 minutes the temperature could increase by by 5-6C, but then fall right back down again within the space of a few minutes. All due to the breeze being much warmer than the air. The main reason being because the snow was cooling the air considerably only for it to be displaced by a warmer breeze.

6.2C now. Woop :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The temperature is falling painfully slow.. so I'll wait until tomorrow morning and check if any frost has occurred!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

A small variation in temperature, you're probably drawing moisture from the sea, how I don't know, but other people have said that. laugh.png

I remember a similar thing last winter, the temperature was fluctuating between -8C and -1C. All in the space of literally minutes, in 5 minutes the temperature could increase by by 5-6C, but then fall right back down again within the space of a few minutes. All due to the breeze being much warmer than the air. The main reason being because the snow was cooling the air considerably only for it to be displaced by a warmer breeze.

6.2C now. Woop biggrin.png

lol 2.0c here currently. Wind from the NW, so not really sea breezy, and there is no breeze either :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Currently 1.8c here in Oldham. Should be fun later in work with the damaged loading bay doors that are stuck open directly behind my office area!, I've got a chest infection as it is :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

The temperature is falling painfully slow.. so I'll wait until tomorrow morning and check if any frost has occurred!

Yep - temperatures should generally be stable overnight so it will be 50/50 for me and you to get any ground frost :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

A small variation in temperature, you're probably drawing moisture from the sea, how I don't know, but other people have said that. :lol:

6.2C now. Woop :D

How can the temperature fluctuate that quickly within minutes?

5.6c here

Posted

I'm just wondering what is causing temperatures to fall further in some areas then in others.. it seems very mixed across the country right now with no real explanation.

Posted

How can the temperature fluctuate that quickly within minutes?

5.6c here

If you would of seen my THREE weather stations reporting the same thing, you wouldn't of believed your eyes. But when you have a foot of snow, clear skies, a VERY STRONG inversion and a breeze of 5mph, it can happen!

The thing I remember most is -8.0C to -1.9C, and that was in 5-6 minutes.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow

down to 0.4 now so looks like a frost is on the cards

Posted

If you would of seen my THREE weather stations reporting the same thing, you wouldn't of believed your eyes. But when you have a foot of snow, clear skies, a VERY STRONG inversion and a breeze of 5mph, it can happen!

The thing I remember most is -8.0C to -1.9C, and that was in 5-6 minutes.

I remember last year when the temp here was falling to about -8/-9c then a breeze would stir and then cause a rise of about 1-2c but it certainly didn't fall back down to -9c within minutes even after the breeze had stopped. I've never known a huge fluctuation and a fall in temp happen within minutes as big as you claim.

Strange place Runcorn ;)

Posted

Funny how much my temperature varies from Liverpool.

Liverpool is currently the warmest place in the UK at 9C, and we are at 6.1C. That's a 3C difference over 4 miles. Wow!

Posted

Coldest we've had reported so far, and it's here in Cumbria. I'm surprised Shap has not plummeted yet.

Posted

I remember last year when the temp here was falling to about -8/-9c then a breeze would stir and then cause a rise of about 1-2c but it certainly didn't fall back down to -9c within minutes even after the breeze had stopped. I've never known a huge fluctuation and a fall in temp happen within minutes as big as you claim.

Strange place Runcorn tease.gif

I honestly wish I would of recorded it, at one point I was starting to think the snow would melt.

It absolutely plummeted after the breeze had died down, half a degree every couple of updates, truly incredible!

Coldest we've had reported so far, and it's here in Cumbria. I'm surprised Shap has not plummeted yet.

Shap is usually the frost capital of England. Must be cloudy up there atm.

Posted

I honestly wish I would of recorded it, at one point I was starting to think the snow would melt.

It absolutely plummeted after the breeze had died down, half a degree every couple of updates, truly incredible!

Shap is usually the frost capital of England. Must be cloudy up there atm.

LOL I think I can remember that night, you were having a massive panic attack! You were going mad because you thought the temp was gona rise above zero and thaw all your snow!! HAHA

I think the next update on the obvs will see Shap down to 1 or 2c

Posted

Down to the current min of 1.7c. Just... a... little... more!

You do know you can get a frost at 4C right? :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Well done, the virtual prize is yours.

Posted

LOL I think I can remember that night, you were having a massive panic attack! You were going mad because you thought the temp was gona rise above zero and thaw all your snow!! HAHA

I think the next update on the obvs will see Shap down to 1 or 2c

Hey shut up! It almost did! :rofl:

Posted

Stupid temperature, at this rage it won't be until December when we see our first frost!

Edited by Aaron

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

1.3c at 21:15 and still falling nicely. There is a big difference between my weather station and Cardiff-Wales airport 15 miles away now.

Edited by Wales123098

Posted

lol, of course, but the flow is dry, and right now there is no frost... now 1.6c...

If it stalled at 1.6C you'd get a frost due to the cooling on the surfaces!

I dare you to go watch a film & check your weather station when it's done, I bet you it will be at or below zero. :D