Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere 2011/12

Posted

Morning all!

Nice bit of ice growth since yesterday, here's today'a and yeasterday's for comparison......

25thsept2011.gif

24thsept2011.gif

And also last year's to see how we are doing......

25thsept2010.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Yeah, I'd say were a fair bit behind now on last year, both in terms of snow, and ice joining up to the coast line.

I think this time next week we will be a long way behind :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yeah, I'd say were a fair bit behind now on last year, both in terms of snow, and ice joining up to the coast line.

I think this time next week we will be a long way behind sad.png

And this is why all the cold fan's shouldn't get too excited about our winter or they could end up with egg on there faces

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I dont know why some people think it must be the same or better than previous years right now. Its early autumn and of course there are always going to be variations year on year. No one year is going to be exactly the same really. There is such a long way to go yet why not just sit back and enjoy the ride because it will all get going soon enough. Just because there is an extra pixel of snow or ice doesnt mean were in for a mild winter all the same. Not that anyone in here seems like this way exactly but you can sense it amongst a couple that this could happen.

Posted

I dont know why some people think it must be the same or better than previous years right now. Its early autumn and of course there are always going to be variations year on year. No one year is going to be exactly the same really. There is such a long way to go yet why not just sit back and enjoy the ride because it will all get going soon enough. Just because there is an extra pixel of snow or ice doesnt mean were in for a mild winter all the same. Not that anyone in here seems like this way exactly but you can sense it amongst a couple that this could happen.

Yeah, I think some are thinking if we get a high Arctic ice extent or early snowcover then theres more chance of our winter becoming colder or vice versa if there is less snowcover/Arctic ice. I don't think there is any link between the two and upper air temperatures will natrually cool down that far up North so you know.

Despite less Arctic sea ice, the early part of September still attracted cold uppers and they were quite widespread aswell hence the fairly early minimum ice extent and early snow cover so imo, it makes very little difference and our weather will be more determined what happens to our South West in the Pacific regarding La Nina, El Nino's etc.

Still nothing wrong with comparing year by year but don't compare them to the sence that more snowcover over Russia = a colder winter for us. Not at least in September anyways.

Posted

Afternoon all!

Well here is today's image.

I suppose seeing as we have such a lovely spell of weather coming up, it forgives the lack of winter's approach :D

26thsept2011.gif

Posted

Morning all!

Wow! there's been a fair amount of activity on the snow front since yesterday!

Look at Canada and Northern Russia!!

27thsept2011.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Its looking good! I would say we are very close now to what we were this time last year! is it likely to last though?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

GFS 12Z brings in a potent northerly again in Scandi beginning at +156 (day 6-7) of the run - some real beauties of early October charts for even Lapland in there:

gfs-0-192.png?12

gfs-1-192.png?12

Widespread snowfall for Northern/North-eastern (in higher ground) Sweden and North-western Finland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Hello all. Just a quick one to say so pleased this thread is up and running and will be regularly checking in. I love it.

Posted

GFS 12Z brings in a potent northerly again in Scandi beginning at +156 (day 6-7) of the run - some real beauties of early October charts for even Lapland in there:

gfs-0-192.png?12

gfs-1-192.png?12

Widespread snowfall for Northern/North-eastern (in higher ground) Sweden and North-western Finland.

Hope at last !!!

Can't abide all this unseasonal heat nonsense !!

Posted

Morning all!

Know what you mean T O N A, really does feel 'odd' doesn't it?

Anyways, here's today's image, we've had a bit more action in Siberia and Canada has really woken up!

28thsept2011.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Okay I have to admit that I've been a lurker on this board for a while but I finally got round to registering so I can post my excitement in this thread when the snow builds and comes closer rofl.gif .Going to Gothenburg in two weeks, doubt it'll be snowing that far down by that point but hoping it'll whet my appetite for the months ahead. w00t.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Okay I have to admit that I've been a lurker on this board for a while but I finally got round to registering so I can post my excitement in this thread when the snow builds and comes closer rofl.gif .Going to Gothenburg in two weeks, doubt it'll be snowing that far down by that point but hoping it'll whet my appetite for the months ahead. w00t.gif

Well, FI brings in a quite plausible cool NW flow into Scandi in 10-14 days on the GFS model - cold rain and some sleet/snow for higher parts around Southern Sweden, but it's quite unlikely as it's a long way away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Well, FI brings in a quite plausible cool NW flow into Scandi in 10-14 days on the GFS model - cold rain and some sleet/snow for higher parts around Southern Sweden, but it's quite unlikely as it's a long way away.

Yeah, I know. I think I'd even be chuffed if I went over there and there was some frost- love the cold weather :)

Posted

I cant believe its a year passed on this thread already, its seems like yesterday that the build up of snow and ice in the north was just beginning, and thats another year gone...!!! WoW. A fourth harsh winter... ???

Posted

Thanks matey! I'm really chuffed at all the positive comment this thread has attracted, it's really uplifting to read all the comments every morning and afternoon....thanks everyone else too :)

I was wondering whether people think I should continue the thread 365 days of the year?

Last year I only did it as far as the start of the melt season because I hate to see the winter 'dying' lol!

But I'd be willing to carry on if you guys think it's worth it?

I cant believe its a year passed on this thread already, its seems like yesterday that the build up of snow and ice in the north was just beginning, and thats another year gone...!!! WoW. A fourth harsh winter... ???

I really do think we're in for a hard one this winter (matron!) well i hope so, I've been telling everyone it's going to get really hard this winter, with loads of the white stuff at both the start and the end! wink.pngwink.png

Posted
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]
  • Location: Queensbury, West Yorkshire. 327m (1,072ft) [top of road = 406m (1,332 ft)]

N_stddev_timeseries.png

These past few weeks has seen a very abrupt halt to the melt season, and quite a rapid increase in ice cover! I know we're still well below average but it seems to be picking up at a good rate :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Lovely and cyclonic Id prefer up to the melt season as you have done I don't like it going either :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Its looking great tbh! And yeah stick to just up to the melt season, as when this comes back in september you know winter is on the way, which it won't be the same if its all year round! :)

Posted

Good morning everyone!

Last year some of you may remember I made a web application to display historical images from the Naval Ice Center (the same source as the images you've been seeing in this thread)

I have updated the app here

What the app enables you to do is enter in a year to start from and a start and end day and it will fetch the images from http://www.natice.noaa.gov/ and display them in rows and tables... It makes it very easy to compare previous years.

Once again you can check it out here: http://www.snowicecheck.co.uk/

Regards, Matt

(PS - cyclonic happiness - you might want to edit your original post for this thread (if possible) and add a link to the checker so people are aware of it?)