Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What Have You Taught Your Children About Thunderstorms And What Were You Told When You Were Younger?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I know when my girls were young I used to tell them that the clouds were bumping into each other and god was moving his furniture (although not religous mind you!)

Another one was calculating how far away the storm was done by counting the seconds from when the lightning strikes to when the thunder was heard .

Telling children cute stories about storms may help them not to be afraid. Some choose to make up stories about the Angels bowling or playing other fun games. It's said to avoid telling stories that involve arguments and anger, as this will perpetuate the negative emotions that the storm creates in the children.....

Fire away :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

I was always told it was god shifting his furniture around.

Posted

I was told that if a storm went away and then thunder etc started again it's because it couldn't clear through/over the Salisbury Plain

so had come back again.

I realise now what a load of nonsense that is, those occasions were probably the result of an MCS, several single cell storms or a

stationary/slow moving front/trough with a number of storms running along it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

:lol: Pete.I never though of using that one.

Well Louise, a thunder box isn't so-named for nothin'... :D

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I was always told it was god shifting his furniture around.

Me too, despite not coming from a religious family.

Apparently I answered this one day with 'Why does he need to push it? He's God, can't he just magic it to a new place'

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temps under 25 degrees and Disruptive Heavy Snowfall any other time

I dont think I've ever been afraid of storms/thunder/lightening etc., and have always found them very exciting. I'm now a mum to a nearly 3 year old who goes to nursery and sadly so many of his little friends are afraid of them.

I told my son that it was clouds bumping into each other making electicity which creates noise and lightening. We had a really great evening recently where thunder and lightening lasted for a good couple of hours and we both sat and enjoyed the view from the window.

Its great that we can both delight in the British weather together from such a young age :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I always taught my girls from a young age not to fear storms. I must admit though, back then when we had a powerful storm I was rather fearful myself but never showed it lol.smile.png

Posted

I was always told God(not religious)had dodgems,I remember my mum saying the lightning was the flashing lights and the thunder was when he crashed into the angels.THATS IT!!! thats why i dont get thunderstorms God hasn't paid his electricity bill lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

I was always told it was the clouds rubbing together.

I was terrified of storms as a young 'un, especially at night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I was always told that it was a competition between the thunder and the lightning to see 'who' or more suitably which one was more impressive.