Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

El Gordo! - Spanish Plume Thunderstorm Discussion 2

Coast

Posted

Well the first day is drawing closer - will we get a mega-thunderstorm and all the convective chaos that comes with it? Will it be a damp squib and the French will get all the fun?

Stick to this thread for discussion, forecasts and observations on the 'fat one' El Gordo!

post-6667-0-03029500-1308899037.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

just had a shower and now the sun is out strong again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

how accurate are GFS at predicting cape 24 hours ahead? because im seeing cape of over 2000 for my area tommorow with -5/6li.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I am getting soooo excited for tomorrow. :D The Met Office have even mentioned Gloucestershire for thundery rain. I am very confident this will all happen.:D Again I will say good luck to all of you. Briiinggg on the storms....:drunk:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

how accurate are GFS at predicting cape 24 hours ahead? because im seeing cape of over 2000 for my area tommorow with -5/6li.

Terrible as are the rain precipitations :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

I am getting soooo excited for tomorrow. :D The Met Office have even mentioned Gloucestershire for thundery rain. I am very confident this will all happen.:D Again I will say good luck to all of you. Briiinggg on the storms....:drunk:

I noticed that Jane, Gloucester, Wiltshire and dorset according to them!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Sheffield shield will deal with any attempts at proper T storm. Although it managed to let one Thundery shower through and allowed a storm to build within the confines of the shield. That caused flooding at Hillsborough as the shield prevented it from escaping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

I noticed that Jane, Gloucester, Wiltshire and dorset according to them!

I really hope everyone has a chance of seeing something.:)I know how disheartening it can be when a storm doesn't happen. :( Surely we all stand a chance.:) It seems so rare nowadays to even get a Spanish Plume and this is of course is what makes it so special. :)

Posted

just had a shower and now the sun is out strong again.

Sorry didn't reply on the previous thread Chris .... too busy watching the weather :whistling:

Anyway you've answered your own question, could be the start of something big this evening .... especially if I go and fire up the BBQ, bound to happen :D

Posted

Some odd weather phenomena out there on the Eastbourne coast this afternoon. Confined to the area from Pevensey Bay to Beachy Head, a terrific thick sea harr was just on the shore and no more than 2 miles out. Must have been the damp air over the Channel and the heat from the lovely sun this afternoon - not seen this for a while (I hope it is an omen for tomorrow!!)

post-6667-0-96807600-1309104573_thumb.jp

post-6667-0-35324200-1309104626_thumb.jp

and then the model glider boys were mixing it with the seagulls with some incredible thermals off the Downs. Must be a good sign of rising warm air surely?? :unknw:

post-6667-0-18906000-1309104602_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Slight downgrade for the Norwich area tomorrow, looks like I might have to drive somewhere after all...westwards in all probability....tsk! nonono.gifrolleyes.gif

Still, might get upgraded again later unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

chucking it down. I'm out in the garden and it's so refreshing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Some odd weather phenomena out there on the Eastbourne coast this afternoon. Confined to the area from Pevensey Bay to Beachy Head, a terrific thick sea harr was just on the shore and no more than 2 miles out. Must have been the damp air over the Channel and the heat from the lovely sun this afternoon - not seen thsi for a while (I hope it is an omen for tomorrow!!)

and then the model glider boys were mixing it with the seagulls with some incredible thermals off the Downs. Must be a good sign of rising warm air surely?? :unknw:

Nice pics looks like your camera needs a clean though. Well at least some are getting a cooling shower

Posted

now stopping and no more thunder but what a nice surprise. It feels even more humid now

Posted

Yes, the best line for storms looks like starting at Crosby, through Preston, lancs; over the pennines, Darlington Co Durham and out over to Middlesborough...... signing out but certainly back later :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

chucking it down. I'm out in the garden and it's so refreshing

Think that's heading my way. I've been watching the radar and that big heavy blob of precip seems to have appeared from nowhere.

Posted

Update from the Met office for tomorrow for west mids guys.

Another hot and humid day across the region. After a bright start, it will turn increasingly cloudy through the day, with heavy, potentially thundery showers breaking out through the afternoon.

Maximum Temperature 27 C.

Posted

I will be looking out for AltCas tomorrow morning as a sign of the possible thundery activity later in the day.

It might be earlier than that Andy

As far as I can tell a small area of low pressure will form tonight over Biscay and move N to reach us by early AM. I'm expecting things to kick off for us early with a possible threat later on Monday as well from a French MCS - although this may be too far east.

The area concerned can be seen over Portugal at the moment having moved up from the Canaries

Edited by chapmanslade

Posted

Think it's a tad further north from Boro TBH. I am watching a storm here thats currently in the Houghton area and very impressive cloud burst just watched it get heavier and heavier and now the odd flicker of lightning. I am on a top floor flat btw thats how I can see! Very impressive although wouldn't like to be out in that downpour. I am about 7 miles away from the CB and it's still muggy and sticky here.

Sudden and brief downpours tend not to clear the air at all. You really need quite a long period of heavy to moderate rain to gradually cool things down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

The way things are going with the storms today Leeds is going to miss out

Posted

Some odd weather phenomena out there on the Eastbourne coast this afternoon. Confined to the area from Pevensey Bay to Beachy Head, a terrific thick sea harr was just on the shore and no more than 2 miles out. Must have been the damp air over the Channel and the heat from the lovely sun this afternoon - not seen thsi for a while (I hope it is an omen for tomorrow!!)

No it wasnt confined to just that area Coast.. Had the same here at Fairlight/ Pett Level/ Winchelsea Beach/ Rye Harbour and Camber Sands. It cam about a hundred metres inland for most of the day, beyond that, clear blue skies all the way

Posted

Nice pics looks like your camera needs a clean though.

Ha, just doing it now! (thanks!) :lol:

Posted

Cheers PP take it that it didn't last long? Wish it would clear the air a bit its really muggy as I am sure it is un Durham!

Aye, it's not pleasant.