Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

No, it does not melt at those temperatures but it does sublimate.

Yes of course, though the maximum water vapour pressure with temperatures and dew points of -20°C/-25°C is very low and there is no way 19cm of snow sublimated in 24 hours! It was the blowing snow which led to those amazing photos.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ALL WEATHER, NOT THE PETTY POLITICS OF MODS IN THIS SITE

Which is precisely why refuse to be a fully paid-up member of anyone's fan club, Fred...

And, anyway, Piers's prognostications - to me at least - seem to have absolutely sod-all to do with any known branch of astrophysics...And he ain't the only one who's studied the subject???

If Solar weather-influences are - as he seems to proclaim - predictable, why do we need an array of satellites?

I think you are a tad over the top. Piers has got to where he is because he has a very good following and a very good record.

• Like 1

Posted

It’s snowing, and it really feels like the start of a mini ice age

Boris Johnson in the Telegraph today:

" I observe that something appears to be up with our winter weather, and to call it “warming†is obviously to strain the language. I see from the BBC website that there are scientists who say that “global warming†is indeed the cause of the cold and snowy winters we seem to be having."

"As a species, we human beings have become so blind with conceit and self-love that we genuinely believe that the fate of the planet is in our hands"

"Now Piers has a very good record of forecasting the weather. He has been bang on about these cold winters. Like JMW Turner and the Aztecs he thinks we should be paying more attention to the Sun. According to Piers, global temperature depends not on concentrations of CO2 but on the mood of our celestial orb."

http://www.telegraph...ni-ice-age.html

Now most of us too have now also come to the conclussion that the CO2 theory has been overplayed and still is simply; just a theory.

I missed that it was by someone as prominent as Boris Johnson until I read the full article. Shocking and rather pretentious language/references. I'm loving the irony of his use of "by my calculations" in the midst of that article when the only calculations he's made are his observations from his corner of a relatively small island. Before he challenges "warming" he should first consider the "global" definition that precedes it.

Thank god he doesn't have the foolishness to deny mainstream science outright.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think you are a tad over the top. Piers has got to where he is because he has a very good following and a very good record.

I'm only stating my opinion of a media-based LR weather-forecaster, Village...That said, I've no idea how he's achieved the degree of acclaim he obviously has; tis a mystery to me...So until he (or anyone else) is prepared to put his/their 'methods' down, in a proper scientific manner so that they can be scientifically tested, I'll carry on assuming those 'methods' to be baloney...

And why would anyone pay any attention whatever to the witterings of a politician - on scientific matters?? I don't know. But I'd be more than happy to bow-down to Mayor Johnson's far-superior fluency with the Ancient Latin. (Or is it Greek!)

Edited by Rybris Ponce

Posted

I'm only stating my opinion of a media-based LR weather-forecaster, Village...That said, I've no idea how he's achieved the degree of acclaim he obviously has; tis a mystery to me...So until he (or anyone else) is prepared to put his/their 'methods' down, in a proper scientific manner so that they can be scientifically tested, I'll carry on assuming those 'methods' to be baloney...

I would suggest his acclaim is based on, saying the same thing over and over again and by saying what a good many people want to hear, rather like the express people forget the wrong calls,. As has Joe B the man who claimed a couple of years ago that we would see the end of record summer ice melt, people forget the bad calls. I wonder how many express readers are now marvelling at the papers uncanny foresight in regards this cold spell and how many have forgotten just how many bad calls the paper has made over the last couple of years. The weather is a fickle beast it can catch out even those who back up their claims with quantifiable evidence, Piers just shows that if you say it often enough then you are bound to strike lucky, I can think of some others like that, but some would take offence. Not well know by many is that Piers was a housing and squatters' rights activist in the North Paddington area of Westminster in the mid-1970s and in 1978 was the International Marxist Group candidate for Lambeth Central.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm not sure where this idea comes from. If it comes from PC, without independent verification, it's worth the square root of b*gger all, I'm afraid.

Anyway, here's the rebuttal from the left

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/2013/jan/21/boris-johnson-snow-climate-change?CMP=twt_gu

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

@village. I wouldn't bang your anti gw drum too loud on here mate or u gona get nockt down by the pro gw police.

• Like 1

Posted

@village. I wouldn't bang your anti gw drum too loud on here mate or u gona get nockt down by the pro gw police.

Pointless statement because it works both ways, both sides hold strong views and thus we have disagreements, two sides who both think they are right will debate the matter and we have threads for that purpose so what is the point of your post, frankly it seems to me that both sides enjoy the discussion and it wouldn’t be half as much fun if people just agreed or didn’t bother to post would it.

Edited by weather eater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Well I don't know about other forums but you can bang your drum all you like on here lol!

Posted

Back to the weather in the media.....

Gatwick boss: 'Heathrow can't cope so send flights to us instead'

- Poor weather conditions hit service at Heathrow

- Motorist dies in crash in Essex

- Several Tube lines and London overground hit with delays earlier

- National overground rail services also facing disruption

Heathrow is damaging London’s reputation with its inability to cope with snowy weather and should run far fewer flights in winter, bosses at rival airport Gatwick said today.

“The way in which Heathrow chooses to respond to forecasted relatively minor snowfall is to cancel, with only 24 hours’ notice, hundreds of flights,†Stewart Wingate, chief executive of Gatwick, told Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin in a letter. “This causes a significant number of passengers to suffer days of misery, as well as damaging the reputation of London as a world city.â€

Mr Wingate’s attack came after hundreds of passengers were forced to camp out overnight at Heathrow, which had cancelled 187 flights by lunchtime today. He wrote: “Our proposal is that Heathrow refrains from over-scheduling during December, January and February. With advance notice, the airlines and the other London airports will be able to operate significantly more flights to London. This would clearly be better for passengers than mass cancellations.â€

A Heathrow spokesman said: “The Davies Commission has been set up by the Government to examine the issues of UK airport capacity. It is for the Commission to make recommendations for how the shortage of UK hub capacity should be addressed and to consider all options.†At Heathrow today, British Airways had booked an extra 2,500 hotel rooms for stranded passengers and the airline apologised to 20 customers sent to the wrong hotel who ended up sleeping on the conference room floor at another.

On the first working day since heavy snowfall hit the region, experts said disruption to Tube, rail and air travel will cost the London economy hundreds of millions of pounds. Hundreds of thousands of rail passengers suffered delays of at least an hour as trains into London Bridge, Victoria and Waterloo operated on reduced winter services. Seven out of 11 Tube lines were disrupted due mainly to overrunning engineering work. But much of the frustration was focused on Heathrow, which has spent £36 million on snowploughs since the 2010 disruption due to snow. Today’s cancelled flights, due to very low visibility, came on top of the 260 grounded yesterday.

Heathrow warned the figure could rise as other airports cancelled flights because of the weather. Paris, Madrid, Milan, Frankfurt, Manchester and Glasgow were all affected. London City Airport reopened its runway at 7am after clearing ice, but there were numerous cancellations and delays. Window cleaner Howard Allenby, 36, from Leeds, and his girlfriend Natasha were among 20 passengers who slept on the floor of the Aurora International hotel near Heathrow after their flight to Zambia was cancelled for a second day.

Mr Allenby said: “The BA procedure is there’s no procedure. You get sent from pillar to post.†The airline said: “We are extremely sorry our customers have been experiencing so much frustration and inconvenience.â€

Chris McKinnon, Jamie Shaw, Derek Hewitt, Cheryl McCue, Craig Cairney and Ashley Simpson, all friends from Glasgow, were stranded on their way home from a holiday in India. Fishmonger Mr Cairney, 30, said: “We got here at 11.30am Sunday and were due to fly at 8pm, then it was delayed until 9pm, 10pm and finally cancelled. The way we have been spoken to is a disgrace.â€

Mainline Cannon Street rail station was closed in the peak due to a broken-down train and Southeastern services were terminating and starting at London Bridge. London Overground was suspended between Surrey Quays and Clapham Junction and Willesden Junction and Richmond. There were delays or reduced services on Chiltern Railways, East Coast, Eurostar, First Capital Connect, Gatwick Express, Greater Anglia, London Midland, South West Trains, Southeastern and Southern services. Eurostar services were also delayed.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/gatwick-boss-heathrow-cant-cope-so-send-flights-to-us-instead-8459407.html

Posted

Which is precisely why refuse to be a fully paid-up member of anyone's fan club, Fred...

And, anyway, Piers's prognostications - to me at least - seem to have absolutely sod-all to do with any known branch of astrophysics...And he ain't the only one who's studied the subject???

If Solar weather-influences are - as he seems to proclaim - predictable, why do we need an array of satellites?

For what it's worth - he studied physics, not astrophysics.

As it is - his correlation of reduced solar activity with cold weather here seems a little difficult to give credence to for the current spell, given that the cold snap more or less coincided with the highest number of sunspots for several years.

• Like 3

Posted

I suggest the following - how about noting for several agencies/people providing forecasts, making a record daily of their forecasts (at various times leading up to) and their accuracy on the day and seeing who comes out on top. That said, the BBC doesn't actually seem to have noticed that it's snowing in parts of Sussex rather than the rain they predicted for this evening.

Edited by Crepuscular Ray

Posted

Having a good following (if this is true) proves nothing. Jimmy Savile had a big following. People will follow anything that moves.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

For what it's worth - he studied physics, not astrophysics.

As it is - his correlation of reduced solar activity with cold weather here seems a little difficult to give credence to for the current spell, given that the cold snap more or less coincided with the highest number of sunspots for several years.

You are misleading people with that statement. This current cycle is a very low cycle, this recent burst does not and has not made it all of a sudden a busy cycle. In fact highlighting the sudden 'burst' has only handed some credit to him as he said sudden activity would bring about recent events....so well done.Posted Image

So the bigger cycle is at work, its supposed to be maxima time and the numbers are way below what we were used to during the majority of the 20th century so your statement has no credence.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 2

Posted

Having a good following (if this is true) proves nothing. Jimmy Savile had a big following. People will follow anything that moves.

The 'great man' remind's me of P. T. Barnum's concerning another pseudoscience, astrology: "There's one born every minute."

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

An article about the so called solar forcing, the little graphs is eloquent enough I would say...

http://www.skepticalscience.com/open-letter-mayor-boris-johnson.html

Bottom line is that best qualifed people on the subject do not see any significant relation between the sun activity and our increasing temperatures. If you want to believe loonies on blogs or forums peddling their pet theories, do so but stop pretending it makes you some kind of edgy thinker, the modern heir of Galileo, etc probably means you're suffering even more of Dunning-Kruger than you have realised so far if at all Posted Image

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Human induced reduction in sea ice [REALLY?], currnetly in solar max [yes of a low solar cycle], NASA/GISS temps [yeah right o]......read enough of that article to see its certainly not unbiased, way too much the other way I think.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted

And bringing this thread back on Topic

'End in sight' for freezing weather

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21155730

Big Freeze Leads To Nine Deaths

http://news.sky.com/...-to-nine-deaths

'Snow bomb' deluge will cause new travel chaos

http://beta.dailyexp...ew-travel-chaos

BRITS TOLD TO BUILD SNOWMEN TO STOP FLOODING

http://www.dailystar...-stop-flooding/

Build a snowman by order of the GOVERNMENT! Environment Agency urges homeowners to pile up ice and prevent flooding by delaying thaw.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2IoZbgqHV

Build snowmen to fight flooding, says Environment Agency temperature to swing from minus 13C to 13C.

http://www.thesun.co...l#ixzz2IoaDEg79

Big Freeze delivers its last blast . . . now Big Thaw threatens floods

http://www.dailymail...home/index.html

Edited by Gavin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

GLACIERS MELTING

Glaciers in the tropical Andes have shrunk by 30-50% since the 1970s, according to a study.

The glaciers, which provide fresh water for tens of millions in South America, are retreating at their fastest rate in the past 300 years.

The study included data on about half of all Andean glaciers and blamed the melting on an average temperature rise of 0.7C from 1950-1994.

Details appear in the academic journal Cryosphere.

The authors report that glaciers are retreating everywhere in the tropical Andes, but the melting is more pronounced for small glaciers at low altitudes.

Glaciers at altitudes below 5,400m have lost about 1.35m in ice thickness per year since the late 1970s, twice the rate of the larger, high-altitude glaciers.

"Because the maximum thickness of these small, low-altitude glaciers rarely exceeds 40 metres, with such an annual loss they will probably completely disappear within the coming decades," said lead author Antoine Rabatel, from the Laboratory for Glaciology and Environmental Geophysics in Grenoble, France.

Water shortages

The researchers also say there was little change in the amount of rainfall in the region over the last few decades and so could not account for changes in glacier retreat.

Without changes in rainfall, the region could face water shortages in the future, the scientists say.

The Santa River valley in Peru could be most affected; its hundreds of thousands of inhabitants rely heavily on glacier water for agriculture, domestic consumption, and hydropower.

Large cities, such as La Paz in Bolivia, could also face problems. "Glaciers provide about 15% of the La Paz water supply throughout the year, increasing to about 27% during the dry season," said co-author Alvaro Soruco from the Institute of Geological and Environmental Investigations in Bolivia.

The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has pointed to the importance of mountain glaciers as sensitive indicators of climate change.

Globally, glaciers have been retreating since the early 20th Century, with a few exceptions. Himalayan glaciers are relatively poorly studied and there are suggestions that some are actually putting on mass.

Some scientists say the Chacaltaya glacier in Bolivia, which used to be the world's highest ski run, has already nearly disappeared.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onment-21163386

Edited by Barry95

Posted

I just wish that the likes of Skeptical Science received as much media-attention as the purveyors of muck-raking, scientifically-illiterate twaddle clearly do...As if Bozo The Mayor's opinion is worth the paper it's written on!

What is the Latin for 'drivel' anyway?

• Like 6

Posted

After Early January Thaw, Much of Northern Europe to Experience Deep Freeze in February

Stormy and Wet Across Southern Europe

Andover, MA, 21 January 2013 — WSI (Weather Services International) expects temperatures for the upcoming period (February-April) to average lower than normal across the Nordic regions, UK, and Iberia, with higher-than-normal temperatures expected across other regions, especially southeast Europe and western Russia.

“The very volatile European winter continues, with a recent transition back to a colder regime after a brief thaw during the first half of January. Going forward, all of the objective evidence suggests a very cold remainder of winter across the Nordic regions and northwestern Russia as atmospheric blocking re-emerges and allows for very cold Arctic high pressure and dry weather to persist over these areas, including the Scandinavia hydro basins. The easterly flow to the south of this high-pressure area will push transport the very cold air westward into parts of northern mainland Europe and perhaps the UK. To the south of this, a very active storm track will result in very wet and windy conditions across the hydro basins and wind-generation regions of southern Europe,†said Dr. Todd Crawford, WSI Chief Meteorologist. “We expect the lingering impacts of the atmospheric blocking to persist into at least March, with cold temperatures persisting across the Nordic regions. By April, more widespread above-normal temperatures are likely as the pattern relaxes.â€

In February, WSI forecasts:

Nordic Region* – Much colder than normal

UK* – Colder than normal

Northern Mainland* – Warmer than normal

Southern Mainland* – Warmer than normal, except Iberia

In March, WSI forecasts:

Nordic Region – Colder than normal, except Finland

UK – Warmer than normal

Northern Mainland – Warmer than normal

Southern Mainland – Warmer than normal

In April, WSI forecasts:

Nordic Region – Warmer than normal

UK – Warmer than normal, except Ireland

Northern Mainland – Warmer than normal

Southern Mainland – Warmer than normal, except Iberia

http://www.wsi.com/9d932f9d-565a-4423-b3b4-68d3d63fedd4/news-scheduled-forecast-release-details.htm

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I just wish that the likes of Skeptical Science received as much media-attention as the purveyors of muck-raking, scientifically-illiterate twaddle clearly do...As if Bozo The Mayor's opinion is worth the paper it's written on!

What is the Latin for 'drivel' anyway?

Bullis shatis..!! Edited by NL
  • Like 2

Posted

Big Freeze Hits UK With Final Wintry Flurry

Icy temperatures and snow flurries look set to make way for milder weather next week as the end of the cold snap raises fears of flooding. But a final heavy snowfall will hit the UK on Friday, centred around northern England and southern Scotland, which could see up to 15cm on higher ground. A sharp increase in temperature, possibly reaching 10 degrees Celcius in the south west on Sunday, will spark a rapid thaw of ice and the Environment Agency has warned of the risk of localised flooding. That will be coupled by rain crossing the south west on Friday and further showers over parts of the UK at the weekend. Sky News Weather Producer Jo Robinson said: "The weekend will mark the end of this gloomy, cold snap, but not before another transient spell of significant, possibly disruptive, snow.

“Friday brings the return of heavy snow. Scotland, north-west England and north-east Wales will be at risk first. "Other parts of England will see that snow during the late afternoon, evening and overnight as it spreads eastwards. "Over the weekend it will turn milder, windier and wetter. Snow melting will bring the risk of flooding, worsened by spells of heavy rain." The severe weather has been blamed for at least nine deaths and has caused widespread disruption across the UK. In Somerset, gritting crews have been working around the clock after nearly 15cm of snow fell in 24 hours on Wednesday. In one of the worst cases, 30 people had to spend the night in a shelter after becoming stranded when the A39 between Bridgwater and Williton became impassable.

The snow also forced the closure of hundreds of schools across Wales for a second day running on Wednesday. Meanwhile, Kent, Surrey and Sussex Air Ambulance revealed it had flown an 18-year-old man to hospital in London after a sledging accident. The victim was flown to St George's Hospital after suffering head injuries in the accident in Caterham, Surrey. The AA has said it has attended more than 160,000 breakdowns since January 11 - including around 2,200 vehicles stuck in snow or ice.

http://news.sky.com/story/1042326/big-freeze-hits-uk-with-final-wintry-flurry