Welcome To The Netweather Forum!

Sign In or Register for full access to the community - including the regional forums.

Photo
* * * * - 8 votes

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

• Please log in to reply
3653 replies to this topic

#1321 Summer Sun

Summer Sun
  • Members
  • 15,760 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:35

UK FACES ICY BLAST AS SANDY BLOWS IN SNOW

HURRICANE Sandy is set to trigger an Arctic blast in Britain this weekend, bringing bitter gales and snow.

The superstorm has caused a shift in weather systems, allowing freezing air from the North Pole to flood in.

The Met Office warned Scotland will get snow flurries today. North Wales, the Pennines and Cumbria face a dusting tomorrow on high ground.

It will be England’s second snowfall this autumn.

Spokesman Dan Williams said the rest of this month is expected to be colder than average.

He said: “The pattern for the next few days is looking quite unsettled with some strong winds expected from Friday, rain and the chance of thundery showers and hail.

"Clear skies mean temperatures will drop overnight. Over high ground there could be snow showers in Scotland

and parts of North Wales. It is looking like this into Saturday and Sunday.”

Leon Brown, meteorologist at The Weather Channel, said Hurricane Sandy had reinforced high pressure, which was helping block our usual mild Atlantic flow.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said the rest of the month is likely to be hit by bitter winds, frosts and snowfall with unsettled weather until December.”

The Met Office has forecast “slightly below average” temperatures until the end of January.

http://www.express.c...y-blows-in-snow

3416922926.png

sunrise and sunset times for April in Darlington

Latest sunrise 06:39 Earliest sunrise 05:30

Earliest sunset 19:43 Latest sunset 20:38

Shortest day 13 hours 04 minutes

Longest day 15 hours 08 minutes

#1322 Summer Sun

Summer Sun
  • Members
  • 15,760 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 09:59

Thunderstorms and gale-force winds set to batter Britain on this side of the Atlantic bringing strong seas and heavy rain

Thunderstorms, hail, and gale-force winds are set to batter Britain on this side of the Atlantic over the next few days.

Winds as strong as 55mph and intensifying heavy rainfall will hit swathes of the country while the remnants of Superstorm Sandy die a death across the other side of the ocean.

Blustery winds will be strong enough to cause rough seas - with waves already beginning to build in parts of southern England.

Forecasters predict a wintry flavour to the stormy weather with snow and wet sleet expected to fall this morning in northern England and Scotland.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2Axnsj5iR

3416922926.png

#1323 snowking

snowking

Kris Surtees

• Members
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 20:37

Thunderstorms and gale-force winds set to batter Britain on this side of the Atlantic bringing strong seas and heavy rain

Thunderstorms, hail, and gale-force winds are set to batter Britain on this side of the Atlantic over the next few days.

Winds as strong as 55mph and intensifying heavy rainfall will hit swathes of the country while the remnants of Superstorm Sandy die a death across the other side of the ocean.

Blustery winds will be strong enough to cause rough seas - with waves already beginning to build in parts of southern England.

Forecasters predict a wintry flavour to the stormy weather with snow and wet sleet expected to fall this morning in northern England and Scotland.

Wet sleet is a pain but you know, its nothing compared to that dry sleet we get so often.

Really wish tabloids would get people who know what they're talking about to write these articles, as opposed to the current crop of morons who so elegantly pull this boll....balls out of their backside.

SK

#1324 No-Time Toulouse

No-Time Toulouse

It's the Russian steam-pipes, stupid!

• Forum Team
  • 38,338 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 20:44

I know it's only the Daily Mail but, how could Britain get battered on the other side of the Atlantic?

Pete

Non cogito ergo non sum; et, merda taurorum animus conturbit!

We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world. (Professor Stephen Hawking)

Views and opinions expressed in this or any other of my posts are my own.

#1325 No-Time Toulouse

No-Time Toulouse

• Forum Team
  • 38,338 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:26

Oh dear!

http://www.weatherac...e.asp?a=501&c=5

Pete

We go about our daily lives understanding almost nothing of the world. (Professor Stephen Hawking)

#1326 Coast

Coast

Rider on the storm

• Members
  • 33,294 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:06

UK Weather: Warning Over Flooding Risk After High Rainfall Over Summer

Britain is at a high risk of flooding this autumn and winter after a washout summer, the Environment Agency and Met Office have warned.

Posted Image

The record-breaking rainfall from April to June, followed by more wet weather, has left river levels full, the ground saturated and groundwater exceptionally high. A house in Dura Den in Fife was almost swept away by the weight of the flood water after almost 36 hours of rain in October.

Householders and emergency services are being advised to be prepared for flooding, which with saturated conditions, could occur with relatively small amounts of rain. Paul Mustow, head of flood incident management at the Environment Agency, said: "This year our flood defences have protected over 119,000 properties, but we cannot prevent flooding entirely. The floods washed away material around the foundations as a waterfall surged through the backgarden at a block of flats in Newcastle in October. "With one in six homes at risk of flooding, the most important step people can take in protecting themselves from the worst impacts is to find out if they are at risk, and sign up to the Environment Agency's free flood warnings service.

"As winter approaches we'd encourage everyone to take this one step to help protect themselves from what is recognised as the country's number one natural hazard."

Posted Image

The Environment Agency and Met Office are warning that:

The South West of England is of particular risk of flooding from rivers in November and December with northern and western parts of England at Wales at increased risk after recent heavy rainfall.

Unseasonably high groundwater levels mean there is increased risk of flooding in the south and east of England with Devon, Dorset and Hampshire particularly at risk. Flooding from surface water, where the amount of rainfall overwhelms the drainage network, is more likely as the ground is already saturated. The risk of coastal flooding also increases at this time of year, especially during periods of high spring tides from November 12-18 and and December 12-18.

Posted Image

Sarah Jackson, the Met Office's chief adviser to the Government, said: "We are heading into the winter period which is traditionally the wetter period of the year in the UK. "Because the ground is so wet, if we do have any prolonged heavy rainfall in any part of the country, there is going to be heightened risk of flooding. "We recommend that everyone keeps up-to-date with the latest forecasts and warnings in periods of wet weather to be prepared."

More than 1.1 million people are signed up to receive Environment Agency flood warnings - which can be sent by email, text, or a message to a landline or mobile phone. This summer, 100,000 households were warned of potential flooding, giving people essential time to protect their homes and possessions. Households and businesses can check their flood risk and sign up to receive free flood warnings at www.environment-agency.gov.uk/flood.

http://www.huffingto..._n_2062347.html

SAAB Convertible

Posted Image

Now, you listen here:'e's not the Messiah,'e's a very naughty boy!
Views & opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own - but the voices made me do it

#1327 AVFC.

AVFC.

syed2878

• Members
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:36

although i don't agree whith piers c's forecasts i must say i'm glad that he is sticking to his guns about the globle warming crap that every1's trying to force down our throte. I for1 don't beleave in man made gw and never will. How ever i do beleave in climate change and they r 2 different thing.
UP WITH THE VILLA, AND DOWN WITH THE BLUES!!!...

#1328 Summer Sun

Summer Sun
  • Members
  • 15,760 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:05

HERE COMES THE SNOW: SUPERSTORM TO BRING UK ARCTIC BLAST THIS WEEKEND

BRITAIN is braced for a bitter Arctic blast to send temperatures plunging to below -5C (23F) this ­weekend.

Forecasters warned that most of the country faces freezing winds and harsh frosts with snow likely on high ground.

People waking up in Scotland, Wales, northern England and the South-west were yesterday greeted with wintry scenes after the second snowfall of the year.

Experts say the fallout from Hurricane Sandy in the US has triggered a shift in weather ­systems allowing freezing air to flood in from the North Pole.

They said the rest of this month is likely to be a straight run of wintry gales, snow and below-average temperatures kicking in today.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: “It is going to be a bit of a shock to the system this weekend.

“We are going to draw in northerly wind from the Arctic with overnight frosts and snow on higher ground of Scotland, Wales and England.

“The rest of the month and even as far ahead as December is looking colder than average with more snow and bitter winds on the way.

“This weekend we are looking at some freezing temperatures, possibly sinking below -5C.”

Areas that escape the snow are likely to be battered by strong winds and torrential rain, bringing the risk of flooding.

Netweather warned that gusts of 60mph will hit the North today, with much of the country getting a hammering over the weekend.

Forecaster Paul Michaelwaite said: “Friday will have sharp showers, becoming more widespread as the day moves on.

http://www.express.c...st-THIS-weekend

3416922926.png

#1329 UV-RAY

UV-RAY
  • Members
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:12

HERE COMES THE SNOW: SUPERSTORM TO BRING UK ARCTIC BLAST THIS WEEKEND

BRITAIN is braced for a bitter Arctic blast to send temperatures plunging to below -5C (23F) this ­weekend.

Forecasters warned that most of the country faces freezing winds and harsh frosts with snow likely on high ground.

People waking up in Scotland, Wales, northern England and the South-west were yesterday greeted with wintry scenes after the second snowfall of the year.

Experts say the fallout from Hurricane Sandy in the US has triggered a shift in weather ­systems allowing freezing air to flood in from the North Pole.

They said the rest of this month is likely to be a straight run of wintry gales, snow and below-average temperatures kicking in today.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: “It is going to be a bit of a shock to the system this weekend.

“We are going to draw in northerly wind from the Arctic with overnight frosts and snow on higher ground of Scotland, Wales and England.

“The rest of the month and even as far ahead as December is looking colder than average with more snow and bitter winds on the way.

“This weekend we are looking at some freezing temperatures, possibly sinking below -5C.”

Areas that escape the snow are likely to be battered by strong winds and torrential rain, bringing the risk of flooding.

Netweather warned that gusts of 60mph will hit the North today, with much of the country getting a hammering over the weekend.

Forecaster Paul Michaelwaite said: “Friday will have sharp showers, becoming more widespread as the day moves on.

http://www.express.c...st-THIS-weekend

I must have missed this forecast for this weekend, the one I saw didn't mention blizzards. Oh well it must be right because Jonathan Powell says so.Posted Image

Edit; I replied to the wrong post.Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Seven of Nine, 02 November 2012 - 10:15 .

#1330 The PIT

The PIT
  • Members
  • 19,053 posts
  • Location:Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:35

Ah I see the BBC is also running the story for more major flooding this Winter. Luckily we don't have the memory of a Goldfish and in March the predictions were for stand pipes everywhere and a contining dry theme. What happened was a sudden switch from dry to very wet. There is of course a very good chance of flooding with average or above average rainfall this winter. There's also a possibility the weather will do a reverse and become dry again.
Disappointed to see the Beeb seeming to express surprise that a family living near a water course could well get flooded again. The house was a flood plain so it shouldn't be unexpected.

Based in Sunny Old Sheffield South Yorkshire.

Website at http://www.sheffieldweather.co.uk
Mobile link at http://http://www.sh...uk/iphone/#home
Mobile phone Lightning detection http://www.sheffield...her.co.uk/spark

Follow Sheffield Weather at https://twitter.com/shefweather

2963758576.png

#1331 Chris K

Chris K
  • Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 13:55

How long before I hear the words...

FROZEN BRITAIN
....being chanted day after day through the media.

#1332 tcc

tcc
  • Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 14:20

European Winter forecast from Accuweather: http://www.accuweath...012-2013/961001

In our neck of the woods, below average temps
Joe B'astardi quote - I think it's going to be very apt for this winter....

"Whatever the weather, enjoy it. As it's the only weather you've got"

#1333 Summer Sun

Summer Sun
  • Members
  • 15,760 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 19:22

Which way will the wind blow? Snow falls in the Pennines as Britain braces itself for weekend of hail, thunder and, yes, more flooding

Snow fell in the Pennines for the first time this winter today as Britain braced itself for a chilly weekend of hail, showers and yet more floods.
Areas in County Durham were dusted white in a reminder of what could be a tough few months ahead. Meanwhile, the Environment Agency has issued 26 flood alerts for East Anglia, the Midlands, the North West and South West over fears houses could be affected by overflowing rivers.

This has been caused by exceptionally high levels of rain between April and June, which left the ground saturated. The South East, South West and North West may also be hit. Emergency services have been warned even a small volume of rain could create a crisis. Forecasters say most of the snow this weekend will be limited to the highest areas of the country including the Peak District, Cumbria and parts of Scotland and Wales.

But the winter weather took its first serious grip on southern England today with police reporting that a car skidded on ice and ended up in a ditch in Devon. The smash at Lynton Cross, near Ilfracombe, happened shortly before 8am today as people battled the freezing conditions to get to work and school. Police said the 29-year-old driver from Tiverton was shocked, but unhurt in the crash 200 yards from the On-a-Hill Garage. Officers closed one lane of the B3230 at 7.55am to enable recovery of the blue Ford Focus. The road was reopened at 8.50am.

Meanwhile, an 18-year-old youth who died when the Porsche sports car he was driving was involved in a Halloween smash in stormy weather was named today as Tom Chubb, the son of East Devon district Councillor Iain Chubb. Tom was fatally injured when his black Porsche was in collision with a white Peugeot van at Trill, near Musbury, as torrential rain and strong winds swept southern England on Wednesday night. His father is a Conservative who represents the Newbridges ward and lives with his wife Eve at Abbey Gate, Axminster.

Tributes to their son, a former Axe Valley Community College student, have flooded in today. One, on his social networking page, reads 'Rest in peace angel, you will be truly missed by everyone. You were such a kind-hearted person who didn't have a bad word to say about anyone. You didn't deserve this. We love and miss you - sleep tight.'

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2B5vx0qAN

3416922926.png

#1334 Jasmine

Jasmine
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 19:58

Hey I'm new here and I love reading you comments. I was wondering when it will snow in London

#1335 No-Time Toulouse

No-Time Toulouse

• Forum Team
  • 38,338 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:00

Hey I'm new here and I love reading you comments. I was wondering when it will snow in London

Welcome to N-W, Jasmine...About three days after it snows in Carlisle...Posted Image

Pete

#1336 Jasmine

Jasmine
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:04

Thanks Rybis when will it snow in Carlisle ?

#1337 Great Plum

Great Plum
  • Members
  • 4,462 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:08

Thanks Rybis when will it snow in Carlisle ?

Jasmine, you must forgive old Pete... It's an old joke in here to ask 'when will it snow in Carlisle?'

:)

In answer to your question... No one knows yet, but a decent easterly is often good!
Winter 2012/13
October: 2 frosts
November: 4 frosts
December: 7 frosts, 1 ice day
January: 13 frosts, 1 ice day 8 days of lying snow... Most laying: 11.5cm
February: 3 frosts

SACCRA No. 99! :) from Reigate, Surrey

My blog: click here!
Updated 11/01/12

#1338 keithlucky

keithlucky
  • Members
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:14

Back into the freezer on the 15 of November as the winds swings the the north ,then swings to the Ne direction , The forecast comes from a swearword on this site but the last 2weeks he"s been spot on a month ahead.Posted Image

#1339 Jasmine

Jasmine
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:24

Thanks you I'm Really Excited about snow im a huge fan. I really want it to snow soon.Posted Image

#1340 No-Time Toulouse

No-Time Toulouse

• Forum Team
  • 38,338 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 20:37

Thanks you I'm Really Excited about snow im a huge fan. I really want it to snow soon.Posted Image

Could you put your location into your profile thingy please, Jasmine?

Pete

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users