Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Weather in the general media (Newspaper features etc)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny

I hope it does happen and shuts the mild rampers up for good.

Possibly the stupidest thing I've read on here and that's saying something.

• Like 2

The amusing, face palm reaction is starting to wear out now. It's time somebody exposed these shrills and the newspapers that sensationalise with blatant lies. It's scaremongering and people who don't know much about weather may get sucked in and paniced.

Experts in long-range weather forecasting said the WHOLE of Britain should be prepared for this winter to be the most severe since 1947, which saw the UK hit by relentless snow and some of the lowest temperatures on record.

What if everyone did take this advice and started preparing, getting in supplies, warning family members, buying things they don't need etc. Completely irresponsible, not everyone is clued up like us and some will fall for it. Not any different from the MMR scaremongering which caused people to get sick and die from measels really is it? Newspapers should have a legal responsibility to report truthfully and responsibly.

• Like 3

Posted

Agreed Gav this is absolutely crazy and hopefully people will realise this week when snow fails to materialise that the newspaper and its sensationalism deserves zero credibility.

I`m expecting to see it as current charts suggest Tuesday/Thursday for snow potential so 2 days....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

I looked at the paper in the shop and there is no mention of that headline in the first half a dozen pages or so either this is just on their website in which case I doubt it is seen by as many people or maybe they are saving it for another day?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Had a look at the comments on the express website for the story above and I was surprised to see a Piers Cobyn leaving one

The 'forecasters' here quoted have no record of forecast skill but the opposite

Posted

BBC weather for the week ahead brings a more sensible take on things

Limited snow away from high ground (200 meters plus)

Rain mid week possibly snow on the leading edge before turning back to rain

Temperatures ranging from 2c to 9c on Tuesday and 5c to 9c for the rest of the week

High pressure building by Friday

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

The thing that makes me chuckle about that article is that even if we had heavy and persistent snow and freezing temperatures for 100 days, it would still only be the worst winter for 60 years!

Err....no....if that crazy forecast did somehow come to fruition, it would be the worst winter ever and the Earth would clearly be spinning in the opposite direction to usual. As far as I am aware the winter of 1947 did not even turn really cold until late January?!

Utter drivel from the Express and even non-weather enthusiasts must realise that!

Saying that, I personally think we are heading into an extended period of below average temperatures, albeit with little in the way of snow in the forecast for the majority of low lying Britain, at least in the near future, and I certainly don't see a swift return to Zonality for the start of December being touted by some.

However, the chances of Madden and The Express' winter forecasts becoming a reality and plunging Britain into some kind of Narnia Fantasy World are slightly less likely than me winning the Lotto and Euro millions jackpots....next week!

• Like 1

Posted

What if everyone did take this advice and started preparing, getting in supplies, warning family members, buying things they don't need etc. Completely irresponsible, not everyone is clued up like us and some will fall for it.

Surely though it is good to be aware over the winter.I always stock up with torches, batteries, tins of soup, just in case.but some don't even think about what might happen if for example there was a power cut.in the last power cut here i was lending torches to people who were unprepared,.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

i mean for fcuk sakes cant the likes of office get a lawsuit on priks like j.p, j.m and the papers that print that kind of boolsuper duper! Sorry mods, headlines like that makes me angry!!!.

Posted

Warning to drivers as frosty weather brings out car thieves

WEARSIDE drivers are being reminded to stay vigilant when defrosting their vehicles on icy winter mornings.

In previous years, police have seen an increase in the number of vehicles stolen after being left unattended with the engine running to de-ice the windscreen. In most instances, the owner had gone back into the house. The advice forms part of Operation Soundwave – a campaign aimed at tackling opportunist thieves – which will continue over the winter months. Assistant Chief Constable Jo Farrell said: “With the onset of the cold weather, we want to remind people of some basic crime prevention advice to help stop them from being a victim of crime.

“It can be tempting to start the vehicle and leave the engine running while the windows are defrosting. We want people to think about the risk this poses – an unattended car or van with the keys in the ignition is an open invitation to thieves “We have seen instances where thieves have roamed the streets on frosty mornings looking for an opportunity to steal a car or van that has been left. “Even if the vehicle is nearby or only left for a few moments, these thefts can be completely avoided by not leaving the vehicle unattended at all. “It’s also worth bearing in mind that insurers may not pay out if the car is stolen in these circumstances.â€

Posted

I see the latest from the Daily Ex is now 6" of snow; last weeks Armageddon headline was online only 4", so that must mean areas of the country will be totally locked in now then? Gawd knows what the headlines would have been like if these guys were writing about 1963......

Six inches of snow to hit Britain next week as Arctic blast sends temperatures plummeting

A FIERCE Arctic blast is poised to bring up to six inches of snow in some areas of Britain next week.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/443381/Six-inches-of-snow-to-hit-Britain-next-week-as-Arctic-blast-sends-temperatures-plummeting

Posted

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/443672/Arctic-blast-to-last-a-month-Warning-as-freezing-winds-bring-snow-and-ice-chaos

Nathan's back and it appears that he's downgraded the prediction of 100 days of snow to just a month.

• Like 1

Posted

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/443672/Arctic-blast-to-last-a-month-Warning-as-freezing-winds-bring-snow-and-ice-chaos

Nathan's back and it appears that he's downgraded the prediction of 100 days of snow to just a month.

Yes he can't make his mind up can he

We are still awaiting the record breaking snow for November yet which surprise surprise still hasn't arrived - http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/436170/Worst-winter-for-decades-Record-breaking-snow-predicted-for-November

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted

Depends which one of his many current articles you read first:

LONG-RANGE weather forecasters have warned that Britain should prepare for heavy and persistent snow for up to THREE MONTHS with winter 2013 set to be the worst in more than 60 years.

So I read on to see who the experts were, it's his old allies of course:

James Madden, forecaster for Exacta Weather, said Britain is braced for “copious†snowfall this winter with extreme cold expected to last into the spring. He added that Britain faces “an incomparable scenario to anything we have experienced in modern timesâ€. He said: “An exceptionally prolonged period of widespread cold is highly likely to develop throughout this winter and last into next spring. “It will be accompanied by snow drifts of several feet and long-lasting snow accumulations on a widespread scale.

Jonathan Powell, forecaster for Vantage Weather Services, said: “Early indications are that this winter is looking particularly severe, and we could see parallels with the shocking winter of 1947. “The models are pointing towards a high pressure blocking system which will hold cold air over the UK, and it becomes stagnant, meaning any rain turns to snow and temperatures are persistently much lower. “There are signs it could hold out until March, meaning winter misery on the cards for millions.â€

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/443462/Winter-2013-expected-to-be-worst-since-1947-with-heavy-and-persistent-snow-forecast-for-UK

That one was yesterday.

So what we have now is a tryst of an enthusiastic journalist and two 'weather experts' with varying previous results. It will be interesting to see exactly how this turns out as I see absolutely no ambiguity in what is being forecast and reported here.

• Like 1

Posted

Sudden Cold Snap Set To Bite Britain

A sudden cold snap is due to hit Britain today, with northern Scotland the first area of the country expected to shiver in the freezing temperatures. North-westerly winds whipping off the Arctic are expected to bring at least two weeks of wintry conditions, making November up to 3C (37.4F) colder than last year. Temperatures are expected to fall below zero across the country and peak at just 4C (39.2F) or 5C (41F). People in the higher regions of Scotland are expected see the season's first blanketing of snow - with further wintry showers set to move south as the week progresses. Sky News weather presenter Nazaneen Ghaffar said the entire UK would see the mercury plummet by Tuesday.

"North-westerly winds will bring a much colder air-mass this week and temperatures will be just below the average for the time of year," she said. "Overnight frost and ice is also expected under clear skies, where temperatures will plummet below freezing for most." She added that some parts were likely to see their first glimpse of snow for the winter. "Some snow is likely as well, mainly over Scotland, Northern Ireland, northern England and north Wales," she said. "It is unlikely to settle at lower levels, but hills and mountains may have some accumulations. Other coastal areas may also see some wintry showers and they could blow further inland as well."

http://news.sky.com/story/1170021/sudden-cold-snap-set-to-bite-britain

Posted

http://metro.co.uk/2013/11/18/uk-snow-on-way-and-freeze-could-last-until-next-year-4190361/

A forecaster at Meteogroup said: ‘It does look like much of the UK is in for a cold spell through this week.

‘For at least a week, there will be cold north-westerly winds.

‘There will be some snow but mostly confined to north Wales and northern Scotland – where there will be a few centimetres – and a few wintry showers elsewhere.’

Meanwhile, some forecasters have warned this winter could rival that of 2010 which saw transport chaos across the country in the run up to Christmas.

James Madden, forecaster for Exacta Weather, said: ‘An exceptionally prolonged period of widespread cold is highly likely to develop throughout this winter and last into next spring.

‘It will be accompanied by snow drifts of several feet and long-lasting snow accumulations on a widespread scale.’

The first snow of the winter fell in parts of the north two weeks ago, surprising residents after one of the mildest Octobers on record.

Earlier this month, the Local Government Association said salt stocks across England and Wales are higher than the 1.3million tonnes stocked last year.

Weather

When will this stop? Can someone assassinate Madden?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

a qs. Is the express any worse than some of the posters on the md thread?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm & Sunny

a qs. Is the express any worse than some of the posters on the md thread?

That's very good! And not far from the truth. And that Mr. Rao's adoration of Messrs Madden & Powell matches that to which one of the regulars on their is seemingly held. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Posted

Its no wonder they keep printing the same old rubbish each year

When I (Paul Hudson) worked at the Met Office some years ago, I remember the press office contacted a tabloid newspaper to ask why they continued to print such weather stories which invariably turned out to be wrong.

Their answer was very honest, straightforward and unapologetic.

Weather sells newspapers they said; admitting that each and every time they had a front page story on extreme weather, their circulation went up by around 10%.

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1