Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Pets And Thunderstorms!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Hi all,

I expect many of you have pets! so I thought I'd ask what there reaction is to thunderstorms? We have an English springer spaniel who can always sense a storm coming ( well, she usually does anyway due to my excitement lol) She starts off by going out and sniffing the air before a storm arrives and then quietly curls up beside me or dives behind the sofa. She is also a little scared of my bleeping lightning detector so I have resorted to using a radio now although it still dosen't fool her.

She tremble s alot and follows me everywhere except outside of course. How does your pet react when there's a thunderstorm on the way?

Here is some info:

Thunderstorm phobias are a common occurrence in dogs and can result in significant stress to both the pet and the owner. Oftentimes the phobia relates to the noises associated with storms, but can also be due to changes in barometric pressure, wind blowing objects through the air, static electricity, or rain itself. Signs of storm phobias can range in intensity from mild (hiding) to severe (destruction of objects in the house, self-trauma).

Treating fear of storms can be challenging, as there are many aspects of the storm that may be triggering anxiety in your dog. These include rain, thunder, lightening, and changes in barometric pressure. The significance of each of these and other factors can vary greatly from one dog to another.

For some dogs, especially those with more mild symptoms, steps to modify the environment may be sufficient to manage the symptoms or lower the intensity to a tolerable level. Providing the dog with access to a "safe" area, such as a bed, closet, or crate, may help. In addition, limiting the animal's exposure to outside stimuli can be helpful for some dogs. Keeping the dog in a room with no windows, or covering any windows present, may reduce the reaction to lightening and other light changes. Radio, television, or some other noise-producing device can be used to mask the sound of thunder.

Storms that develop from rapidly falling barometric pressure can subliminally affect an animal, so the dog may demonstrate anxiety even before the storm can be heard. Again, it is important to reassure the dog that he is fine and to not exaggerate the situation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Hi all,

I expect many of you have pets! so I thought I'd ask what there reaction is to thunderstorms? We have an English springer spaniel who can always sense a storm coming ( well, she usually does anyway due to my excitement lol) She starts off by going out and sniffing the air before a storm arrives and then quietly curls up beside me or dives behind the sofa. She is also a little scared of my bleeping lightning detector so I have resorted to using a radio now although it still dosen't fool her.

She tremble s alot and follows me everywhere except outside of course. How does your pet react when there's a thunderstorm on the way?

Here is some info:

Thunderstorm phobias are a common occurrence in dogs and can result in significant stress to both the pet and the owner. Oftentimes the phobia relates to the noises associated with storms, but can also be due to changes in barometric pressure, wind blowing objects through the air, static electricity, or rain itself. Signs of storm phobias can range in intensity from mild (hiding) to severe (destruction of objects in the house, self-trauma).

Treating fear of storms can be challenging, as there are many aspects of the storm that may be triggering anxiety in your dog. These include rain, thunder, lightening, and changes in barometric pressure. The significance of each of these and other factors can vary greatly from one dog to another.

For some dogs, especially those with more mild symptoms, steps to modify the environment may be sufficient to manage the symptoms or lower the intensity to a tolerable level. Providing the dog with access to a "safe" area, such as a bed, closet, or crate, may help. In addition, limiting the animal's exposure to outside stimuli can be helpful for some dogs. Keeping the dog in a room with no windows, or covering any windows present, may reduce the reaction to lightening and other light changes. Radio, television, or some other noise-producing device can be used to mask the sound of thunder.

Storms that develop from rapidly falling barometric pressure can subliminally affect an animal, so the dog may demonstrate anxiety even before the storm can be heard. Again, it is important to reassure the dog that he is fine and to not exaggerate the situation.

Hiya Jane,

I mainly have herding/pastoral breeds (Border Collies and Australian Shepherds) and they do tend to be the most sound sensitive as well as the most reactive. The development of when and how they start to show a reaction varies. One of my collies didn't bother with storms or fireworks until he was about seven. His coping strategy was to be anywhere other than where he was. It wasn't uncommon to see him curled up asleep under the agility A frame in the paddock rather than in his nice snug kennel unsure.gif His brother (who won his first Obedience CC in a raging thunderstorm at the Norwich Showground) was a very calm and confident dog but over the years started to link rain with thunder and would show signs of anxiety if it rained heavily. He may well have detected atmospheric changes even if the storm didn't fully develop.

My current group (2 Aussies and a Border Collie) have different attitudes. Suni (4yrs) is very sound sensitive, he hates gunshots and will disappear under the coffee table (this has only developed recently so it will be interesting to see how he reacts when we actually have a storm) His father barks at the lightning (thinks it's car headlights coming down the drive probably) and occasionally paces around. My youngster Jamie (collie) doesn't show any noise sensitivity but obviously learned behaviour will also be a factor.

You can try Bach flower remedies (Mimulus, Rock Rose or the Rescue Remedy) or homeopathic remedies (Gelsemium). Some people will use a CD to help desensitise the dog over a period of time. :)

Rob

Posted

Hiya Jane,

I mainly have herding/pastoral breeds (Border Collies and Australian Shepherds) and they do tend to be the most sound sensitive as well as the most reactive. The development of when and how they start to show a reaction varies. One of my collies didn't bother with storms or fireworks until he was about seven. His coping strategy was to be anywhere other than where he was. It wasn't uncommon to see him curled up asleep under the agility A frame in the paddock rather than in his nice snug kennel unsure.gif His brother (who won his first Obedience CC in a raging thunderstorm at the Norwich Showground) was a very calm and confident dog but over the years started to link rain with thunder and would show signs of anxiety if it rained heavily. He may well have detected atmospheric changes even if the storm didn't fully develop.

My current group (2 Aussies and a Border Collie) have different attitudes. Suni (4yrs) is very sound sensitive, he hates gunshots and will disappear under the coffee table (this has only developed recently so it will be interesting to see how he reacts when we actually have a storm) His father barks at the lightning (thinks it's car headlights coming down the drive probably) and occasionally paces around. My youngster Jamie (collie) doesn't show any noise sensitivity but obviously learned behaviour will also be a factor.

You can try Bach flower remedies (Mimulus, Rock Rose or the Rescue Remedy) or homeopathic remedies (Gelsemium). Some people will use a CD to help desensitise the dog over a period of time. :)

Rob

Hi Rob,:)

It certainly is interesting how each individual dog reacts lol. My dog doesn't seem to be bothered about gun shots when walking out in the country-side she used to get agitated at first when it happened but doesn't seem to troubled now. She really hates fireworks like most dogs do.

I like the way one of your dogs barks at the lightning thinking it's car headlights Lol. Yes, I think we all have to teach our dogs to try and keep calmish in a storm. I shall look into the Bach flower remedies, thanks for the advice.:)

Posted

Its a long time ago but we had a Beagle and when he was only a few months old I took him upstairs when a storm started and sat with him at the window, saying ' go on bark every time it flashed' Daft I know but he was never bothered after that. Simply wanted to get upstairs, sit in the window and bark every time he saw a flash.

And yes he seemed to connect hearing thunder in the distance before any lightning flash with a storm approaching-not sure what he did if he was in the kitchen on his own and the kitchen door shut, if we were out!

Posted

My dog gets realy scared when we have storms, as he usualy sleeps in the kitchen i leave the door open so he comes and lyes in the hallway. Makes him feel safer. Cant say i notice he sences one coming, but hes a Dalmation so he probably doesnt hear that well, i heard they start going deaf when they get older, hes 8 now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

Dogs (esp. border collies - I know!) will react as much to your reaction to the storm as to the storm itself. JH's actions above are perfect - show the dog that it is something interesting rather than a frightening thing and it will take it's cues from you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

We have a golden retriever. It was born on the 28th July 2008 which for the West Midlands, Welsh and South Westerners will know was the night of those brilliant storms after a very hot, extremely humid day!

Our dog is not fussed at all by Thunderstorms. Maybe the big Thunderstorms on his birthday trained him instantly. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

My dogs sleep through thunderstorms, they are used to loud music! They love snow however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Of my current cats one is even remotely bothered except when there's a big bang and he jumps. the other one is terrified and hides under the bed. mind you he gets scared if someone so much as farts.

One of our old cats who passed away enjoyed thunderstorms. He'd run around like mad before one came and would then sit on the window sill watching it and purring away.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

My Nans dog always hide under the bed whenever he can hear thunder and stays there until it clears over. Sometimes he will stay there all night if he can still hear it fully

Posted

It's said that, reassuring your dog when it's afraid may reinforce it's fearful behavior and trying to behave normally, as not to notice any fear the dog may inhibit!

Some dogs with ear problems or infections may suddenly become highly sensitive to thunderstorms because these storms cause them pain. If your dog has suddenly developed a fear of thunder, get your vet to check her out to make sure there's nothing physical going on that could be contributing to the fear.

Most people have success playing music to cover and distract from the loud noise of thunder.

I'd say slow confidence building is the key , but it will certainly take a while.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

My dog loves thunderstorms he runs around in the garden everytime he hears thunder with his tail wagging at about 1000mph and barking like mad, my cat also doesn't mind thunderstorms if theres a dry place for him to sit in the garden during one he would stay outside or just sleep through it.

Posted

I've never heard of dogs liking thunderstorms, I wish mine did Lol.It's probably because she's not used to them,:lol:

Posted

what I tried with our Beagle may be frowned on by dog experts but he never had any fear of storms, none that showed anyway, no tail between legs etc, just the reverse, the desire as soon as he heard thunder(he seemed to associate that with lightning) he was after being allowed upstairs to have his front paws on the window sill barking and wagging his tail at each flash and rumble or crack. There were times when I flinched watching him at a close flash and crack but he never did!

Guest Quantumsnow

Hi Jane

I also have an English Springer Spaniel, but as he's only 5 and a half months old he hasn't experienced a storm yet.. hopefully soon? :whistling:

My parents have 2 springers and 2 terriers though, and they always seem to know when there's a storm coming. The Terriers retreat to their beds, whereas the Spaniels seem to be quite interested. Maybe it's because they're working dogs, I don't know, possibly they associate bangs of thunder with fetching things.

Posted

Hi Jane

I also have an English Springer Spaniel, but as he's only 5 and a half months old he hasn't experienced a storm yet.. hopefully soon? :whistling:

My parents have 2 springers and 2 terriers though, and they always seem to know when there's a storm coming. The Terriers retreat to their beds, whereas the Spaniels seem to be quite interested. Maybe it's because they're working dogs, I don't know, possibly they associate bangs of thunder with fetching things.

Hiya Quantumsnow,

Aren't springers adorable, very clever but can be silly sometimes lol. Now, I wonder if your little pup will ever experience a storm where you live :lol: time will tell I guess lol.

what I tried with our Beagle may be frowned on by dog experts but he never had any fear of storms, none that showed anyway, no tail between legs etc, just the reverse, the desire as soon as he heard thunder(he seemed to associate that with lightning) he was after being allowed upstairs to have his front paws on the window sill barking and wagging his tail at each flash and rumble or crack. There were times when I flinched watching him at a close flash and crack but he never did!

Hi John,

It would be great if I could get my dog to watch out the window with me.Something I would like to train her to do. We seem to hear a lot of fireworks around here and I think by getting her used to the sound of fireworks ,may help for when we eventually get a thunderstorm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I've got a Springer and a Cocker Spaniel, the Springer doesn't even register that thunder is rumbling around. The Cocker on the other hand is utterly convinced it's someone, or something in the garden and it's his absolute duty to warn it off - every rumble of thunder is swiftly followed by Hedley sticking his head out the catflap and woofing at this invisible intruder.

I used to have Old English sheepdogs, all three of them were terrified of storms - two would end up under the bed with the third preferring to get in the bath.

The worst case I've ever come across was a Giant Schnauzer where I work, he would sense a storm coming and literally tremble all over and whimper. A couple of years ago we had a fantastic storm, torrential rain too so I took shelter in my car, opening the back doors for the dogs to join me - the Spaniels were happy sitting in the back, William the Schnauzer insisted on squeezing himself onto my lap, squished between me and the steering wheel; three foot tall and nigh on 6 stone (the dog, not me :whistling:) and it was a tight fit. He'd also been known to run away in a storm, ending up miles away. Poor thing really suffered, nothing seemed to help him.

Posted

I've got a Springer and a Cocker Spaniel, the Springer doesn't even register that thunder is rumbling around. The Cocker on the other hand is utterly convinced it's someone, or something in the garden and it's his absolute duty to warn it off - every rumble of thunder is swiftly followed by Hedley sticking his head out the catflap and woofing at this invisible intruder.

I used to have Old English sheepdogs, all three of them were terrified of storms - two would end up under the bed with the third preferring to get in the bath.

The worst case I've ever come across was a Giant Schnauzer where I work, he would sense a storm coming and literally tremble all over and whimper. A couple of years ago we had a fantastic storm, torrential rain too so I took shelter in my car, opening the back doors for the dogs to join me - the Spaniels were happy sitting in the back, William the Schnauzer insisted on squeezing himself onto my lap, squished between me and the steering wheel; three foot tall and nigh on 6 stone (the dog, not me :whistling:) and it was a tight fit. He'd also been known to run away in a storm, ending up miles away. Poor thing really suffered, nothing seemed to help him.

I love those recollections J

I have a picture of you and the dog on your lap, also the other one jumping in the bath.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

I have a 1yr 3 month old golden retriever. Suffice it to say that I do not know how she would behave in a thunderstorm because she hasn't experienced one! In fact , she could be around five and that would still be true!

Posted

Aww the poor Schnauzer ( 3ft tall and nearly 6 stone, it's okay jethro we know it's not you, honest :lol: )

It is amazing how individual breed of dogs react to certain noises. My dog is like my shadow, she follows me everywhere and sits by my side, bless her! I hear it could be due to dogs sensing when their owner is not well.She dosen't like the fact I like thunderstorms especially when she is so fearful. I am going to start introducing her to sounds of thunder in preparation for the summer storms .( which will probably be none lol )

I have a 1yr 3 month old golden retriever. Suffice it to say that I do not know how she would behave in a thunderstorm because she hasn't experienced one! In fact , she could be around five and that would still be true!

Yes, I know the feeling regarding the lack of storms lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/squalls/hoar-frost/mist

Dogs seem to get more frightened of thunder when they get older,not sure why that should be, an older dog may be more used to storms ,so less scared.

Edited by Sprites

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Hiya Quantumsnow,

Aren't springers adorable, very clever but can be silly sometimes lol. Now, I wonder if your little pup will ever experience a storm where you live :lol: time will tell I guess lol.

Hi John,

It would be great if I could get my dog to watch out the window with me.Something I would like to train her to do. We seem to hear a lot of fireworks around here and I think by getting her used to the sound of fireworks ,may help for when we eventually get a thunderstorm.

Sound frequency is also a factor, I know mine can hear thunder when it's too distant for a human ear, which I think is the low level frequency (no idea, not a physicist unknw.gif) However my weird little blue merle Silva (he who wanted to be elsewhere) ate his way through our back door when we were at the Norwich showground for a firework display one year, yet quite happily came out in the paddock on Bonfire night and pootled around even though there were a lot of whizz bangs!

If the forecast is right for the end of the week I'll be using my Rescue Remedy!

Posted

Sound frequency is also a factor, I know mine can hear thunder when it's too distant for a human ear, which I think is the low level frequency (no idea, not a physicist unknw.gif) However my weird little blue merle Silva (he who wanted to be elsewhere) ate his way through our back door when we were at the Norwich showground for a firework display one year, yet quite happily came out in the paddock on Bonfire night and pootled around even though there were a lot of whizz bangs!

If the forecast is right for the end of the week I'll be using my Rescue Remedy!

I think I will try the rescue remedy on my dog . I've heard it's very calming. I myself have tried a calming one before so I'm hoping it has the same effect on my dog.( that's if we ever get a thunderstorm of course lol) If I don't get a thunderstorm there's always fireworksI suppose .

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We just have to say "boom booms" and my black Lab Louis goes into a total panic — sticks to me like glue and tries to climb into my lap, eyes rolling and panting with fear. Poor boy.

The interesting thing is he'll now do the same if we say "rain". That's abstract reasoning as he's managed to connect the one with the other. I don't know — maybe he's been caught out in a hail storm or maybe they cause infrasound or something.

Louis does exactly the same although thankfully never in the car — we've got a grill. 25 kg of terrified large black dog. The little one's a border terrier and totally fearless — he hates the vacuum cleaner and ambushes it so I've had to replace the bottom of the dyson due to dog attack.