Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Glastonbury 2011

Posted

Well, this needs to be it for me as I really need to pack today as I won't get another chance before travelling down on the national express on Wednesday.

Now comes the batlle of getting everything I need for five days into a 65 litre rucksack.

Jack, I'd like to add my own appreciation for your sterling work with this, not just now but in previous years. As I tend to cycle down from Manchester the forecast does tend to be of interest to me. This year, due to ups and downs of employment (more the downs) I'm taking the opportunity to head to France for a couple of weeks cycling as well. To which end, @Fussy Onion, once you take away the pannier with spares and other essential bike bits I'm afraid I have even less than 65l to play with for the best part of a month... just hoping everything doesn't get caked in mud, that would be a mare.

And now, got to get going, just been doing a last weather check. Headed for Shrewsbury this evening.

Posted

Jack, I'd like to add my own appreciation for your sterling work with this, not just now but in previous years. As I tend to cycle down from Manchester the forecast does tend to be of interest to me. This year, due to ups and downs of employment (more the downs) I'm taking the opportunity to head to France for a couple of weeks cycling as well. To which end, @Fussy Onion, once you take away the pannier with spares and other essential bike bits I'm afraid I have even less than 65l to play with for the best part of a month... just hoping everything doesn't get caked in mud, that would be a mare.

And now, got to get going, just been doing a last weather check. Headed for Shrewsbury this evening.

3 words

wellies and wet!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

An update from PWS,

Forecast

The shift towards slightly better weather continues, but without getting too carried away, rain flanks either side of the festival aswell, so changeable conditions are certain. That said, sunshine and showers appears to be the running theme, although for most of the time the rain won't be heavy and prolonged, just showery in nature. During the drier spells, temperatures will climb quite smartly and we can expect some pleasant conditions, but on the whole, expect an unsettled but not altogether miserable passage of weather. One thing past festivals has taught me, even some rain can cause a mudbath, and whilst the likelihood of this is decreasing, chickens shouldn't be counted just yet.

Emma Pearson

Assistant Weather Forecaster

Sunday June 19th 2011

http://www.positiveweathersolutions.co.uk/Glastonbury-Festival---Wednesday-June-22nd-to-Sunday-June-26th.php

Posted

Muddy Hell: 'Wellie Time Again At Glasto'

Festival-goers heading to Glastonbury this week should be prepared for rain, according to forecasters.The 170,000 music fans expected at the site in Somerset from Wednesday have been advised to pack their wellies and raincoats as well as their tents.Worthy Farm, where the annual event is held, has been drenched by heavy rain in recent weeks. Some showers are expected on Wednesday, although Thursday and Friday are forecast to be sunny with temperatures around 18 or 19C.

http://news.sky.com/...Coldplay_And_U2

Posted

Tonight's models show Glasto should be pleasant on Saturday,

And Sunday

Edited by Gavin D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

But Sky news says it's going to be "Muddy Hell"? Oh I don't know who to believe. *sarcasm off*

id take any headlines from sky with a pinch of salt, yes there has been rain but nothing more than average and that was after a very dry spell,the heavy rain forecast for monday has been downgraded to light now and of a patchy nature,given some sunshine and a drying breeze the main areas of trafficking should hopefully firm up again,what we dont want to see is a heavy shower on wednesday when the vast majority will arrive,im praying the chance of thundery activity on wednesday goes,thereafter with the high making inroads the showers will die away thursday leaving a pleasant though not spectacularly warm friday to sunday.i,ll be arriving early wednesday evening until then keep off the grass :whistling: whatever the weather i hope everyone going has a wonderfull time,i,ll be found at the cider bus if you spot me please be kind enough to carry me back to my tipi...:drinks: this will be my 5th glastonbury survived the 2005 flood, the miserable 2007, the muggy thundery 2009 and the hot hot hot 2010 the one thing that stays constant is the great spirit of all who attend.

Edited by drm

Muddy Hell: 'Wellie Time Again At Glasto'

Festival-goers heading to Glastonbury this week should be prepared for rain, according to forecasters.The 170,000 music fans expected at the site in Somerset from Wednesday have been advised to pack their wellies and raincoats as well as their tents.Worthy Farm, where the annual event is held, has been drenched by heavy rain in recent weeks. Some showers are expected on Wednesday, although Thursday and Friday are forecast to be sunny with temperatures around 18 or 19C.

http://news.sky.com/...Coldplay_And_U2

they honestly just make it up

Just about to publish finished version for tonight, and it is looking rather damp to start the festival, current damp/wet ground is likely to be maintained and despite showery rain, it should gradually dry out over the next few days. The drier weather over the weekend will help a lot more.

The ECM 12Hz run hints that Sunday but be Sunny and Very Warm.

So a bit of a mix, no Mudbath, but no Dustbowl either, but take your wellies, as there will be a little bit of mud, on the edges of walkways etc.

I was with a friend today when she was talking to someone she knows who's on site setting up at the moment. Apparently it's already extremely muddy - he said he'd seen a camper van get bogged down in the mud earlier and then fall over!

Edited by marrog

I was with a friend today when she was talking to someone she knows who's on site setting up at the moment. Apparently it's already extremely muddy - he said he'd seen a camper van get bogged down in the mud earlier and then fall over!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm...really? was that the same one who saw the Pyramid stage get sucked into a pit of quicksand?

I have a 'fit but dim' friend who told me her sister read that it was going to be the hottest Glastonbury for 150 years - always be aware of what 'friends' say......

This forum is great by the way - made my run up to the festival more fun than ever. I'm not good with years - but when the Whitestripes played the Friday Pyramid slot after torrential rain all Thursday it was the greatest musical experience in years - so ultimately Glastonbury is bigger than the weather. Just Enjoy!!

when the Whitestripes played the Friday Pyramid slot after torrential rain

That was 2005. Current weather conditions in Glastonbury [town] are grey and dry. The sponginess underfoot is no longer present in my garden.

Posted

Starting to get beyond being a bit of idle fun now and getting proper forecasts. Here's this morning's summary:

JackOne: While a full scale a mudbath or washout is also very unlikely, we are likely to more mud than dust, so on this basis a 6. (out of 10, lower is better)

TWO: Rain Monday and Wednesday. Showers Saturday evening and Sunday.

Meteox: Rain Wednesday and Thursday. Light showers Fri-Sun.

Meteo: Dry Friday and Sunday, otherwise showers.

GFS Ensemble: Rain Tuesday, dry Friday, otherwise showers. Rising pressure from Thursday.

Met Office and charts: Rain Monday then pretty much dry until rain on Saturday and Sunday on their report, but a dry Saturday and probable dry Sunday on their charts and so I think the report is due an update.

ECM: Rain on Wednesday which will clear and could be dry after (but risk of rain on Saturday)

YR.NO: Showers every day, but rain on Saturday.

CountryFile (47 minutes in) Rain on Monday and Wednesday, otherwise dry.

I'll only put the CountryFile forecast in once as it's weekly. It is based on Met Office data, but they have professionals analysing it and so I've included it.

In summary, I think there will be some rain before the festival and then rain on the Wednesday. Friday, Saturday and Sunday should be largely dry, but with the chance of a brief shower. ECM and UKMO both have low pressure for Wednesday, but high pressure for Friday to Sunday and so this is looking increasingly likely. I imagine the busy paths will be thick (rather than wet) mud, but you'll be able to sit on the slopes. If they put down straw again where there's no metal/concrete walkway it might be fine.

Normal caveats apply:

1) I know a bit about weather, not a lot about weather

2) You can't predict the weather with any accuracy for more than three days

3) Based on Point 1, Point 2 might be incorrect

Edited by devonhammer

Posted

Latest (06z) GFS run has a ridge of high pressure on Friday, but this is forced South because of the high over Greenland and the next low coming off the Atlantic although it does re-establish itself on Saturday afternoon. This could see showers on every day, some heavy, some persistent, although we could see some sunshine on Friday morning, Saturday and Sunday.

At this late stage it is still all to play for as we are caught between a high and a low. I'm sticking with a showery run up until Wednesday followed by a largely dry Thursday to Sunday, but with occasional showers.

My advice for what its worth is to go expecting the worst from the Great British Summer weather then anything dry and warm is a bonus!

We are going tomorrow evening for a night in the car park and then the long walk to camp. Dry whilst putting the tent up please!

Yeah, for me the biggest worry is how much / when it rains on Wednesday. I'm taking some comfort in the fact that the rain over the last few days hasn't been as bad as it was forecast!

well i am sat about 500 yards from the pyramid stage in my trailer and at the moment it is slinging it down. the grass is still green but very wet in parts walkways are very muddy on the edges. i believe but haven't been there that the park and shangrila are waterlogged. the ground was drying up nicely till the latest downpour, so lets hope it doesn't last all day.

well i am sat about 500 yards from the pyramid stage in my trailer and at the moment it is slinging it down. the grass is still green but very wet in parts walkways are very muddy on the edges. i believe but haven't been there that the park and shangrila are waterlogged. the ground was drying up nicely till the latest downpour, so lets hope it doesn't last all day.

Thanks for the update. Oh dear.

Posted

The GFS 12z is out and it follows the theme of a wet Wednesday and Thursday followed by a largely dry Friday to Sunday (with some showers). Although this follows the previous theme I still lack confidence because we are right on the verge of high and low pressure. If the low pressure pushes North-West 100 miles we'll have great weather; if the low pushes South-East 100 miles then.....

h500slp.png

Posted

Going slightly of the weather theme but does anyone have a recomendation on which field is best to camp in?

If there's any chance of rain then avoid the low lying areas like Oxlyers, the bottom of Pennards, Park Home and head up the hill a bit. To be honest I camp in the medics field which is miles away, but on the top, but I used to camp in the Wicket Ground corner in the '90's. That seems to be mostly hospitality, disabled and family now though, but I've got friends who still camp in that neck of the woods, so it's not all cordoned off.

If you try to get close to the action then it will inevitably be very crowded and probably quite flat and low lying, so camp further out, get stuff for the day and use the lock ups to avoid carrying it all around. If you ask on the gate they will tell you where there is likely to be space, but have a plan because you don't want to wander around the site carrying all your beer, tent, food, etc.

There's probably someone who has more recent experience, but certainly go for a bit of a slope.