Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

6z now replaced with the 18z - where's the 12z Analysis?!

Anyway, from the 18z it would appear that the stuff over Breast Brest is a trough ahead of the cold front, so there is probably a small smidgen of hope but I doubt it will come to anything.

Edited by staplehurst

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Why do we need the regional threads open for? No point, this thread is not full unless its thundering here and i start me spamming session. :lol:

Dull and wet, i think the dark skies is partially down to cloud coming in from the north sea and the fact the sun is getting lower in the sky. But its the sort of sky that can produce a flash of lightning so heres hoping!

, i'm right on the coast and i can assure you that the low cloud (for once) is not coming ashore. Just had another pretty intense period of rain and still not out the woods yet, no heard thunder this time but still warm and humid so time perhaps for a late evening storm.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Dunno, but the 18z fax shows nicely the convergence zone/trough that has developed storms this evening just ahead of the cold front across N/NE England.

http://www.netweather.tv/fax/PPVA89.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms!

Oh Rain Today why do u mock me :cc_confused: according to it (putting my postcode in) it says thunderstorm .....and the forecast ahead .... thunderstom... Arrrghh!!:whistling::wallbash: ah thats better <_<

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

RIP UK THUNDERSTORMS IN SOUTHERN & SOUTH EASTERN ENGLAND :wallbash: <_<

Har Har , i've seen thunderstorms this year good ones in fact and an apparant supercell :cc_confused:

What i haven't seen for sometime is a spanish plume which you don't get in the states :whistling:

Posted

I see that the metoffice forecast for tomorrow has been downgraded to The day will then be a mix of sunny spells and a few scattered showers. from the previous "thundery showers with hail"

:Ballwash: Uh I mean :cc_confused:

Edited by RichardR

Posted

Poor old Wales getting another battering judging by the radar. At least the Sheep will be clean.

And it's tracked North West. Just heard the BBC Radio Merseyside local news at 9pm who advised, 50 streets flooded and Fire Service pumping out property. Further NW, the River Douglas near Wigan has now burst it's banks. This is not yet on the Environment Agency flood pages.

Not a flash of lightning too be seen and been pitch black over that way for an hour now !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

And it's tracked North West. Just heard the BBC Radio Merseyside local news at 9pm who advised, 50 streets flooded and Fire Service pumping out property. Further NW, the River Douglas near Wigan has now burst it's banks. This is not yet on the Environment Agency flood pages.

Not a flash of lightning too be seen and been pitch black over that way for an hour now !

Not a sausage here. Been looking out for lightning given the intensity of the rain on radar, but nothing. No distant rumbles or anything. Still got the heaviest rain to come but no doubt it'll weaken as the rainband comes off the mountains.

Posted

I have found the missing fax for 12z today, though I can't tell you where!

post-1052-089448200 1279657576_thumb.jpg

Not much change in the position of the front by 18z this evening on the latest t+00 fax:

post-1052-060249500 1279657678_thumb.png

Posted

I have found the missing fax for 12z today, though I can't tell you where!

post-1052-089448200 1279657576_thumb.jpg

Not much change in the position of the front by 18z this evening on the latest t+00 fax:

post-1052-060249500 1279657678_thumb.png

ooh ta :cc_confused:

Posted

I see that the metoffice forecast for tomorrow has been downgraded to The day will then be a mix of sunny spells and a few scattered showers. from the previous "thundery showers with hail"

:Ballwash: Uh I mean :cc_confused:

classic :whistling:

Posted

Har Har , i've seen thunderstorms this year good ones in fact and an apparant supercell :cc_confused:

What i haven't seen for sometime is a spanish plume which you don't get in the states :wallbash:

No well on the 6th June which is the only time this year that Essex has heard Thunder I was chasing a Tornado in St Charles (Iowa) - Close one this but I think the Tornadic Supercell might just win and I am happy with my choice :whistling::mellow:

They might not get Spanish Plumes Neil but they get a cranking Low Level Jet almost every Night which kicks off Plume Type MCS's About the size of Europe, again I think I might just choose the bigger MCS <_<

BTW The reason we are not getting the proper plumes is all due to the "Plumes" not being advected far enough North-West before de-stabilisation takes place, the plumes of old had the Spanish Plume originating over the Central part of Spain and then the moist axis moving over the bay of Biscay towards Southern Ireland, when a Low pressure came in storms would form much further West and the troughs seemed to be alligned better (Negative Tilt) SE-NW & Hence proper MCS's would hit most of the South Coast from Kent to Devon and move North North East up the Plume.

The Plumes of the last 5 - 10 years have only been running up through France and most Troughs have been Positively Tilted SW-NE, Hence the Storms have been running more NNE Or ENE & There is your answer, instead of the Uk it is NW France, Benelux and Holland / Germany getting the action.

We need a bit of luck on our side, nothing else!

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

whats the bet s/se/ea breaks out isolated electric storms towards late night/early hrs ? ok no forcing but dont give up , because ive known Ac/Cas/Floccus widespread and continuous like today and this eve being the forerunner of storms , so is there a chance something could activate to develop a storm?

Posted

whats the bet s/se/ea breaks out isolated electric storms towards late night/early hrs ? ok no forcing but dont give up , because ive known Ac/Cas/Floccus widespread and continuous like today and this eve being the forerunner of storms , so is there a chance something could activate to develop a storm?

here is the forecast

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

BTW The reason we are not getting the proper plumes is all due to the "Plumes" not being advected far enough North-West before de-stabilisation takes place, the plumes of old had the Spanish Plume originating over the Central part of Spain and then the moist axis moving over the bay of Biscay towards Southern Ireland, when a Low pressure came in storms would form much further West and the troughs seemed to be alligned better (Negative Tilt) SE-NW & Hence proper MCS's would hit most of the South Coast from Kent to Devon and move North North East up the Plume.

The Plumes of the last 5 - 10 years have only been running up through France and most Troughs have been Positively Tilted SW-NE, Hence the Storms have been running more NNE Or ENE & There is your answer, instead of the Uk it is NW France, Benelux and Holland / Germany getting the action.

Totally agree with the kind of synoptic set-up we need for a Spanish Plume. Unfortunately, the presence of the Azores ridge close to our SW this summer, rather than a trough, has stopped the classic set-up from happening so far this year.

Maybe, just maybe, if an ex-hurricane later in August meanders our way across the N Atlantic, this may change fortunes. But, bit of a long shot.

Anyway, I still remember the days before internet when I used to watch the evening BBC forecast one warm humid summer's evening, seeing a huge black blob over western France on the IR satellite images that showed the top of a large MCS headed for southern England. When was the last time that happened!

I don't know if it will be thundery, but there are some huge rainfall totals forecast on the NAE for parts of SW Scotland in the next 48 hours, especially around Arran:

post-2844-079496300 1279659476_thumb.gif

Posted

I don't know if it will be thundery, but there are some huge rainfall totals forecast on the NAE for parts of SW Scotland in the next 48 hours, especially around Arran:

post-2844-079496300 1279659476_thumb.gif

I had to squint at the screen to see that says 118mm! :cc_confused:

I had to squint at the screen to see that says 118mm! :cc_confused:

I didn't realise it was 118mm at first, I thought it was 11mm and 8mm but the colours looked a but funky so I double checked the scale at the bottom. I wouldn't fancy being on Arran if 5 inches of rain falls in a short period.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Just for information -

When I drove down to Tesco's in Hastings today - I noticed in one of the weekly locals a small article on last Weds 'Supercell' in the Rye edition and a lady had taken a photo of a funnel from that storm that appeared at Pett (Fairlight) as the storm travelled NE'wards towards Lydd and Hythe. She says it appeared suddenly within 30 seconds of watching the storm approach and she managed to snap it. There is a reproduced photo of it in the paper, not an especially clear one, but there is evidence of a downward rotating funnel from the storm. The paper also features the pano pic from the man who captured the same storm in nearby Camber sands around the same time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Rain has now turned very heavy. We are definatley pushing the 50mm barrier now!

Flooding here too in places. :cc_confused: