Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Amazing photos Snow Cat, I thought you were trying to wind us up with some pics from the US Midwest until I saw the datestamp.

It's all gone a bit messy here now. I'm down in Jarrow tonight and it's been raining for a couple of hours, with some really heavy bursts. Heard just one rumble while I've been here.

Earlier after I left work I heard two rumbles near Consett and saw 1 flash. Not worth getting excited about, especially after what I saw in May in the states.

Hoping the storms further south will swing up to this area later but probably unlikely.

Posted

A few lightning strikes here now and it's pitch black, very dark brooking clouds have filled in. After what seems like an eternity I do believe we are about get our storm :winky:

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

BTW It has just occured to me that with this Storm occuring on the 14th July, My Essex Supercell occured on the 17th July 2004 and also I seem to remember the Rye Supercell and Tornado from a few years back was in Mid July as well.

July Must be Supercell Season across the far SE :winky:

Some really impressive Storms from NW England today as well, have seen a few Funnel Cloud reports from around the Liverpool and ST Helens area today.

Paul S

Posted

Not had a sniff here on the west sussex coast,what's this rain you speak of, we had like 5 mins of a few spots.cray.gif

Is there any chance we could see anything this evening?

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The rumbles of thunder here seem high up and rather muffled. Could be the fact there is low cloud here now. Haven't seen any lightning but the thunder is rumbling every minute or so, from the southwest.

Hear Thunder here as well and got the same fast moving low cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Tommorow all being well I shall spend the day photoshooting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Sky looks a bit more stormy now, heavy rain currently and winds have become more gusty now! No thunder or lightning as normal tho, not sure if anything will come of it either! I think this may just be a heavy shower...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Definately looks like a supercell that moved across SE and E Kent after making landfall across Hastings. It reminds me of a similar supercell in that area around this time back in July 2007 in exactly the same area which supposedly produced a tornado. Seems bit of a hot spot there when storms make landfall, must be something to do with the topography providing uplift.

I headed SE of Tunbridge Wells to try and intercept but unfortunately the slow rush-hour traffic and poor roads meant it got too far ahead of me, was probably shifting at 50 mph+, if only I left earlier ...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Just took this as the storm cleared northwards towards York a couple of hours ago so thought I'd share (Doesn't compare to SnowCat's pic s though- awesome mate!)

bb

post-7351-092984100 1279137218_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Storms avoided us again of course Typical...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Tornadoes, Snow, and lovely summer Sun

looking at rain today we may get another storm soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Got a large smooth based cloud moving over Peterlee now coming from the south rather the south east like the last few hours.

Posted

'Hoping the storms further south will swing up to this area later but probably unlikely'

Bad news, there was another storm to the SW of Darlington about an hour ago, distant thunder, its probably headed up towards Weardale, now got blue sky and white clouds clearing from the Vale of York, party over up here chaps and chapesses :winky:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Are these channel storms going to go up the dover straight as we are heading towards night?

Posted

In the last hour a very heavy torrential storm with a fair amount of lightning/thunder and strong winds, small hail.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

They are amazing pictures! First thing I thought of was a Supercell, even before clicking on the thumbnails, given the striations on the leading edge of the thunderstorm.

Looking at Radar loop, between 19:30 and 19:45 after the storm tracked north-east, it then changed to a much more easterly track. Conditions aloft were slightly favourable for rotating updrafts, with good deep-layer shear over Kent during that period. Satellite does show some pretty high cloud tops as well. Radar returns don't suggest anything supercellular, so not too sure. Could have been the thunderstorm's outflow.

Regardless, the pictures are still awesome!

Edit: Has been confirmed to have been a Supercell by forecaster for the south-east. Wow, nice!

The cloud tops were indeed very high! A cell erupted north of the Thames on my way back from work - the cell was approx 20-30 miles away. The cell which hit E Kent was about 60-70 miles at the same time, however the cloudtops were evidently much higher than the homegrown cell. The manner in which the anvil got blown to the NW, while the core of the storm continued on its NE/ENE track, suggests there was definitely some strong wind shear.

When I saw my 2 strong funnel clouds about 8 years ago, this was also in Dymchurch, between New Romney and Hythe. I've witnessed MANY thunderstorms in E Kent over the last 10-12 years and conditions often seem favourable for tornadoes/supercellular formation. Strong breezes up the Channel often drive storms in a NE direction, irrespective of the upper level winds. Strong sea breezes along the coastline however, often blow onto land in a N/NW/W direction, which appears to enhance low level sheer, if only for a brief period of time.

Edited by Harry

Guest FireStorm

Are these channel storms going to go up the dover straight as we are heading towards night?

500hpa wind vectors would suggest veering again NNE pretty much a similar path to how the previous started

Posted

Cells appear to be intensifying in the channel - very tempted to go for a drive down the M20! At least night is falling soon too and any lightning will be visible from a distance!!

Posted

Pristine skies here in south essex, I hope the Kent members can let me know of anything to come!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

500hpa wind vectors would suggest veering again NNE pretty much a similar path to how the previous started

Posted

Pristine skies here in south essex, I hope the Kent members can let me know of anything to come!

Get up the radar - some very nice cells heading towards the Kesurex area!