Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Reports

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Had a pretty neat thunderstorm around 1.30 lastnight, some torrential hail too with everything going white and car alarms going off all over the place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

yes it hit me in middleton aboutn 1:10am, was woken by some very loud thunder!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Amazing night.. Light display about 9pm as a few cells developed a few miles away. 0110 and we had a storm to our south moving about NE.. Rain but no local strikes..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Small little Thunderstorm around 15 mins ago with neat, visible IC/CC Lightning and deep thunder. :)

Edited by Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A fairly weak storm has moved up from the south in the past half hour. I could hear distant thunder from about 0515 g.m.t but as the storm moved north the centre went a few miles to the east.

Currently moderate rain with occasional flashes of lightning and rumbles of thunder.

Posted

Half a dozen rumbles and flashes out to sea between 3.30 and 3.45 am today, but hardly any rain, which was forecast as being 'heavy'? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!! Awesome super bright CG lightning storm at 10.30pm last night. Deep thunder so it wasnt too scary laugh.gif . Calander shots of lightning though, absolutely beautiful full horizon strikes. Lasted for about 45 minutes. TORRENTIAL rains that I havent seen for years!!! Wind got pretty full on for about 3 minutes or so too. Then ANOTHER storm about an hour or 2 later? I was asleep and woke up to it. Also deep thunder, very bright lightning again, lasted for about 20 minutes half hour. THEN at 8am I awoke to more torrential rain with embedded deep thunder for about 45 minutes. Still peeing it down but thunder passed for now.

FANTASTIC NIGHT FOR NOTTINGHAM FOR ONCE IN ITS WEATHERLESS LIFE good.gif

and its thundering AGAIN!!!!!

Edited by Crimson_Sprite

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Had one loud crack of Thunder at 1.50am ish, followed by a few rumbles and that was about it here in Rochford, Essex....rained heavy for around 30mins

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I got woke up by a storm in the early hours but to be honest the storms were rubbish , very few strikes... lack of flashs just lots of rain

Not impressed :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Just had a moderate heavy shower here in West Kent (around 2.30-3.00), with a few decent rumbles of thunder during it, but it seems the main core of the cell has passed to the south of me. Would have thought areas slightly to the south of Maidstone would be in for a good hit from it as it continues to develop. Has been pretty much overcast but bright all day here so difficult to see any cloud formation and definition.

(3.15) Just saw my first flash even with the light sky, with a decent prolonged rumble from somewhere overhead, skies brightening and clearing to the west now.

Posted

Heavy rain and thunder just passed through here.

Posted

Just experienced our first storm of the season. 21.34mm of rain in the last hour with fork lightening and loud claps of thunder. yahoo.gif

Posted

Big fork of lightning just now, rain as all but stopped......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Thunderstorm in Norwich, 3:30-4:30pm, not much lightning (I only noticed two flashes) but plenty of thunder and a gush of torrential rain.

Posted

Storm going on at the moment in Cambridge. Not seen much lightening, but we have rumbles of thunder and heavy burst's of rain.

Posted

Delayed report I know but yesterday afternoon just after 3pm in the centre of Dumbarton, I saw the most incredible storm I had seen in a long time. Wasn't so much for the thunder and lightning but the rain was so torrential that within 2 minutes of it starting the town was underwater quite literaly (and didn't stop for near enough an hour) 1 hell of a downpour I will never forget in a hurry!

Edited by NUT

Posted

Thunderstorm passed to my North within the last half hour, possibly high- based; frequent peals of thunder. Currently under the associated heavy shower!

Edited by evil monkey

Posted

Was just west of Cambridge when a storm passed to my east around 1:30pm, loud rumbles of thunder and a few forks of lightning( that weren't that big to be honest), Where I was at the time I only managed to clip the edge of the cell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Two thunderstorms moved north-north-east through Norwich this afternoon. A line of heavy showers gathered to the west between 2:30 and 3:30pm and then started inching eastwards, intensifying and developing sferics. There was frequent thunder and some sheet lightning and a short-lived heavy rainstorm. At 5pm a second cell moved in and brought torrential rain, frequent lightning and thunder.

Posted

Two thunderstorms moved north-north-east through Norwich this afternoon. A line of heavy showers gathered to the west between 2:30 and 3:30pm and then started inching eastwards, intensifying and developing sferics. There was frequent thunder and some sheet lightning and a short-lived heavy rainstorm. At 5pm a second cell moved in and brought torrential rain, frequent lightning and thunder.

Yes, I went to London today, and what did I miss?

Thispost-9318-12760327675588_thumb.png

max rain rate 25mm/hr, actual rainfall, 12.7mm in 45 minutes

Edited by NorthNorfolkWeather

Posted

That particular cell missed the UEA- it looks even more potent than either of the ones that hit my area! According to the radar I received a similar rainfall intensity for a couple of minutes between 16:10 and 16:15 but for the most part the rainfall rate here was between 5 and 15mm/hour.

Posted

dont know if it goes in here sorry if it dont mods but...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285011/Norfolk-tornadoes-cause-havoc.html?ITO=1490

These pictures show the trail of destruction left by two 80ft high tornadoes which ripped across ten miles of countryside - in Norfolk.

The powerful 'Fen Twisters' gusting at over 100mph tore the roofs from buildings, toppled trees and even hurled a trampoline into power lines causing a blackout for 300 homes.

They left gardens and woodland damaged across the area between Marshland St James and Stradsett after striking 'out of the blue' during freak storms on Sunday afternoon.

he roof of an out-building was ripped off and dumped on top of a tree 330 feet away in Stradsett and a summer house was lifted from a garden and dumped in a field.

Dozens of trees were pulled from the ground in neighbouring woodland owned by The Stradsett Estate.

Gamekeeper Max Stuart, 29, watched in horror as the 80-foot funnel tore across the field towards his cottage in Stradsett, near King's Lynn, at around 3pm.

He shouted to his fiancee Yvette Aldsworth and daughter Emilia, three, to keep away from the windows as the twister rampaged through his garden.

He said: 'It was like something out of the film Twister.

'There was debris, leaves and branches swirling round in the wind. It must have lasted about a minute and went over a mile across the estate.

'We were in the middle of a twister - it passed straight through the houses.

'It snapped trees as wide as a car tyre clean off. It was very scary, I've never seen anything like it.

'It was raining heavily, the noise from the wind was extremely loud.'

The tornado swept across the field narrowly missing three horses before it swept across the gardens of his neighbour Dave Harris.

It ripped the roof off a brick out-building and dumped it in the tree across the busy A1122.

Mr Harris, a sergeant and engineer at RAF Marham, had been shopping with fiancee Clare Findull, 45, and daughter Sophie Findull, 19.

He said: 'As we came round the corner we thought there had been an accident as there was debris all over the road.

'Then we saw stuff from our garden in a tree and field. If it had hit the house it would have had the roof off. It pretty much smashed the garden up.

'It left a trail of destruction - you could see the line it had taken across the garden and through a hedge.

'It was extremely powerful and we were very lucky.'

Sophie's brother Lewis, 16, was at home when the tornado tore through the garden.

He said: 'I looked out and saw all the debris. I saw trees bending over then the power cut off.'

A trampoline in his neighbour Martin Richmond's garden was picked up and dumped on power lines causing a blackout to 300 homes.

Mr Richmond and his family had been to the coast to celebrate his 57th birthday when the tornado hit.

He said: 'We came back to this disaster, it was just out of this world.'

Dozens of trees were destroyed on woodland at The Stradsett Estate, owned by Sir Jeremy Bagge.

At Marshland St James the roofs of three bungalows were damaged in Smeeth Road and Second World war veteran Ken Adams, 90, found his summer house dumped in a neighbour's garden.

He said: 'I heard a loud roar but it was stormy outside and I didn't think anything of it until a neighbour came over to ask if I was OK because there had been a tornado.

'I then looked outside and my summer house was gone - the tornado had lifted it up, put it over the high hedge at the back of my garden and on to the field behind.'

It caused hundreds of pounds of damage to pensioner Jean Barker's home, lifting the roof off husband Derek's shed, blowing over a bird table, leaving garden pots damaged and a fountain smashed.

Mrs Barker, 77, said: 'It was raining really hard and then I heard the noise of this wind, then everything went.'

Another tornado was spotted by researchers Weatherquest on Sunday in Long Stratton, near Norwich.

Tornado-chaser Chris Bell took a series of stunning photos of the funnel cloud as he tracked the twister across Norfolk.

He said: 'There was definitely enough spin in Sunday's storms to produce a tornado or two.

'We had an area of low pressure moving of to the east and there was a lot of unstable air behind it, so it's not a huge surprise.'

John Hammond, forecaster at The Met Office, said: 'These tornadoes are part of the weather system in this country and we have around 30 a year but it is rare for it to cause this level of destruction.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Just had a mini thunderstorm near Peterlee in County Durham, shower lasted a few minutes; very tropical.