Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

When Do You Plant Your Bedding Plants For Summer?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I plant mine at the end of March every year usually, as this time usually signals the last frost here, and I can get on with stuff in the garden, this year I've already planted a Pelargonium (Zonal Geranium) out and had already started flowering, and also a New Guinea Impatiens too. I plan to get some Petunias and perhaps some Begoniae at some point soon!

Posted

Early June is soon enough here for the really tender stuff.

Even then things will often need covering on borderline nights.

It's not just the risk of totsl destruction, a lot of the really soft plants like runner beans or french marigolds don't like being checked by temps below about 5C.

Others like pelargoniums are tougher and can even cope with ground frosts.

Posted

I can usually plant mine early April and they carry on unchecked. This year has been a disaster so far for early planting. The early plants I put out have just sat there and refused to do anything. Even the later fully flowering few that I bought have still just done nothing more than finish their blooms and very sluggishly start to put out new flower shoots that are being held back by the very cold winds. Worst year for garden flowers for many years down here.

So much for climate change and global warming. I don't know enough to deny it on a global scale but even Spain this year has been a cold winter and spring.

The only climate change in Bognor is for it to be colder and drier this year.

Posted

I can usually plant mine early April and they carry on unchecked. This year has been a disaster so far for early planting. The early plants I put out have just sat there and refused to do anything. Even the later fully flowering few that I bought have still just done nothing more than finish their blooms and very sluggishly start to put out new flower shoots that are being held back by the very cold winds. Worst year for garden flowers for many years down here.

So much for climate change and global warming. I don't know enough to deny it on a global scale but even Spain this year has been a cold winter and spring.

The only climate change in Bognor is for it to be colder and drier this year.

ive had petunias out for a month, growing very slowly, the frosts just missed us with a touch of ice on the car but not much else. apparently this is perfect berry weather as the berries will develop much slower so be very sweet.