Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

reef

Posted

I feel your pain Paul. Came out of work to a light shower at 7ish, stopped just as I pulled out of the car park all of 3 minutes later. Gutted!

Posted

I'm going to straw clutch a little here but there is a skinny band just to the east of Sunderland which has developed and has intensifed slightly. It might Durham/Tyne & Wear, it might not. Something too look out for i suppose.

Its not that i don't have enough snow(i have plenty in the garden and the street) but it is a little frustrating when you see PPN 15 miles away too you, which then misses you, hits another place and when it does look like it will head in your direction, there is very little left on it.

I suppose there is no point of moaning about it but when you get lengthy cold spells like this and you see the end in sight, you really want to make the most of any snow opportunities as possible.

GS your optimism is becoming very offputting :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

How long is this snow going to last? its been going for ages we are approaching a foot of snow now! :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

By the way in which the showers are moving I would say the wind is in a transitional period - about to swing round to a more easterly direction. What that will do to the ppn I don't know. But I am confident TW will be seeing some action soon.

Posted

Not as annoyingly close as it is to me!

Aye just notice that Paul when I checked my work postcode. I think we might get the next batch if it reaches us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Do we have anyone in Sunderland on here?

That streamer is gradually moving over Sunderland now, and still it's backbuilding so they should get heavy snow lasting a good while.

Looks like a horizontal band moving in also which could affect most of us, it'll be interesting to see how it reacts closer to that streamer if it's still there by then.

Normally the showers have a similar profile but here we have a vertical band and a horizontal band coming down towards it.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

My daughters on lampost duty..lol Yet again brushing so close to Tyne & Wear, looks like this one might actually produce something as it moves closer...very light snow just starting...could this be the start of a long night ahead..!!!

Posted

The band only looks about 2 or 3 miles wide but it is so slow moving we could hopefully get half an hour to an hour of snow out of it, maybe another 2cm tops? that has been the story of the snowfall here, a steady accumulation of snow after short showers. The one that fell last night was a beauty but that is about it for 24 hours1

Posted

The band only looks about 2 or 3 miles wide but it is so slow moving we could hopefully get half an hour to an hour of snow out of it, maybe another 2cm tops? that has been the story of the snowfall here, a steady accumulation of snow after short showers. The one that fell last night was a beauty but that is about it for 24 hours1

Has it turned more towards you now Paul? You could be in for a treat.

Posted

If you tap in the DL5 postcode in you'll see how close it now is - or was 10 minutes ago with the radar being about 10 mins behind - well it's still not reached here in reality so that shows how slow it is.

Posted

Moderate Hypno-snow now very beautiful indeed..!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

The cloud velocity is picking up a bit, so I supspect we will find out pretty soon whats going to happen...

Posted

never say never.

I'm just looking at that off Berwick. If the wind stays the same surely that streamer's got Consett written all over it.

Posted

Belting down here now, Paul were both right on the edge 35-40 mile apart.. the brighter echoes are now coming over Tyne & Wear a good cm or two has just fell in the space of 10 mins...

post-5386-12629813871842_thumb.txt

NW 5min radar...

Almost total white-out.

http://www.southshields-weather.co.uk/Today%27s_weather.htm

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea
  • Location: Near Stocksfield, Northumberland @ 850ft 25miles from north sea

Come on the snow! Give Consett, Newton Aycliffe, Whittonstall and Tyne & Wear the 6-8 inches u owe us! Please Please Please at least 2 more inches to make it 2 foot here which might get on the national news!!!!!

If its started at South Shields it will soon apear here!!!