Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

It's SNOWING and it's settled too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Snowing very lightly here in Wells :yahoo:

Temp -2.2c - gone up slightly from earlier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A mighty heavy snow shower was supposed to have gone over here not too long ago according to the radar but zilch in reality - clear skies continue and after a temporary rise in temperature, it's going down again. Oh well.

Posted

A mighty heavy snow shower was supposed to have gone over here not too long ago according to the radar but zilch in reality - clear skies continue and after a temporary rise in temperature, it's going down again. Oh well.

Hi people, that snow in Wales watch it Somerset could be on the end of it, would favour west somerset though at the moment...HB

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

+0.2C here in Churchdown, Gloucester - what cold weather ???

-0.5C a couple of miles away here in Longlevens, but as it was clear and -2.5C earlier I suspect that it has risen due to the bank of cloud that has rolled and threatens a few flurries :rolleyes:

Posted

Interesting the new NAE run remains keen on the notion of some further outbreaks of light snow into the Bristol Channel and environs through the night - - see attached

post-8233-12623836533213_thumb.jpg

Posted

Why does this always happen to me? Nice looking shower area that was looking as though it may give something here, then it pivoted just right so a gap goes over me! then, it suddenly dies out and the band extending to the west of Wales splits and dies so theres another gap that would go over me if it got here! then a few showers develop in north Devon but yes youve guessed it there was ANOTHER GAP heading straight towards me! Anything that is heading towards me dies!

The weather seems to do anything physically possible to avoid snow reaching here and that is no joke!

This seems to happen time and time again virtually EVERY bloody time! I don't know why or what it is or what ive done to deserve this! :clap::rolleyes::lol:

If we dont get anything out of this cold spell here I feel I will scream and will completely give up on the weather or being interested in it.

The thing thats consistent in the charts as well is for most other places to get snow but for it to split and avoid here!!!

What a terrible place for someone who loves snow as much as me to be! SW CORNWALL does better than me!! I've never seen more than 1-2cm here it always stops there yes including that event last Feb due to some strange effect where the snow for me was very wet and struggled to settle! Even though 3 miles away only 30m higher had a few inches!

Sorry but needed to get this out somewhere.

Posted

Interesting the new NAE run remains keen on the notion of some further outbreaks of light snow into the Bristol Channel and environs through the night - - see attached

Thanks for the late update Ian.

6 o'clock tomorrow morn looks interesting for the Bristol area.

Posted

Yeah those showers in Wales making there way South East, i would predict a nice covering in areas...HB

Posted

What are your thoughts on any showers hitting Cardiff tonight?

Cheers Jay.

Posted

.... and the reason for this is some further bands being pepped-up tonight by vorticity forcing aloft, over-running these convective elements as they sink south.... and so - it's likely UKMO will have to extend flash warnings for snow into Cornwall and Devon overnight (local accumulations here could reach 5-10cm).

NAE has a good handle on that convergence zone trailing SE to Pembrokeshire.

Incidentallly the broader (but mostly light) snow potential for Sunday morning across much of the eastern districts of the westcountry looks much enhanced on the new modified NAE frames. Worth keeping an eye on that one. The T+39 frame is attached.

post-8233-12623841989413_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

I wouldn't hold out too much hope Alex, the showers seem to die out to the north, just had some residual cloud roll south (which increased the temp from -3C to -2C, but nothing else.

Posted

could snow come as far as the south of somerset?

At times, potentially. Already had snow showers in parts of the county tonight including south to Wellington.

Posted

.... and the reason for this is some further bands being pepped-up tonight by vorticity forcing aloft, over-running these convective elements as they sink south.... and so - it's likely UKMO will have to extend flash warnings for snow into Cornwall and Devon overnight (local accumulations here could reach 5-10cm).

NAE has a good handle on that convergence zone trailing SE to Pembrokeshire.

Incidentallly the broader (but mostly light) snow potential for Sunday morning across much of the eastern districts of the westcountry looks much enhanced on the new modified NAE frames. Worth keeping an eye on that one. The T+39 frame is attached.

I would include West Somerset in that for snow tonight...HB

At times, potentially. Already had snow showers in parts of the county tonight including south to Wellington.

Wellington have had a nice covering my sister lives there and said is all white..HB

Posted

What a lovely suprise, just let the dog out, and its all white outside.... a nice dusting, even the roads

Yes, a direct hit for you (see attached) at 2200hrs by a shower no more than 3 miles wide!

post-8233-12623848714013_thumb.jpg

Posted

blimey! that cirencester shower has just arrived here! Snowing lightly now smile.gif

Yes, it's the same small cell and it retained the same PPN intensity as it continued travelling down the A419. Looks like it will fizzle out just south of you.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Something resembling stardust is falling gently here....not visible on the ground, only in the beam of the security lights! Temp is just below -1C.