Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

It's snowing gently in Lincoln right now. Started about an hour ago - big fat flakes. Much finer snow falling now but settling readily on a ground which had not defrosted since last night's freeze.

Posted

I am finding it increasingly frustrating myself.

Yeah, i'm a little frustrated, not too dissapointed because i know for a fact we are going to get a few pastings over the coming few days, and possibly 2 weeks lol.

I suppose it just makes radar watching all that more exciting/serious.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yeah true I've been glued to the radar myself. Its funny since that pasting we got just before christmas practically all precipitation has been snow aside for that brief period of rain after Xmas day itself. I keep seeing Snowfall over the North Sea and say what a waste! Although Snowfall over the sea surely has to be a good thing in lowering SSTs, I wonder what the record low temp for the North Sea is?

Secondly in the classic winters I wonder what the SSTs have been... hmm

Edited by rikki

Posted

Yeah true I've been glued to the radar myself. Its funny since that pasting we got just before christmas practically all precipitation has been snow aside for that brief period of rain after Xmas day itself. I keep seeing Snowfall over the North Sea and say what a waste! Although Snowfall over the sea surely has to be a good thing in lowering SSTs, I wonder what the record low temp for the North Sea is?

Yep,

Same here other than the odd showers of rain over xmas, everything has been snow.

Current temps just east of us, about 25 miles out is 2c in the North sea, touching 4-5c as you head further east. Before the last cold spell, temps just east of us was around 5-6c, with higher temps of 7c further out.

So they are dropping considerably, which is a good thing in terms of modification off the N sea.

I cannot remember the record lowest temp for the North sea though.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

I think thats it for here now. Captured a clip of the heaviest snow, (careful, it's over 1.7 mb), about 30 mins ago. It's funny how the heaviest snow always seems to fall just before it finally stops.

Snowfall_02012010.wmv

Posted

things were looking good earlier, light snow which has now turnt to rain, very disapointed and still waiting for the big freeze i keep hearing about.

Posted

Just taken the opportunity to look at current SSTs myself Lewis. In previous years I've seen lots of green anomalies (Unisys) at this time of year in the m-word winter. If we start seeing -2.0-1.5c anomalies in the North Sea or in the Baltic Sea I would be very impressed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

In 50 years of weather observing I've never seen snow falling heavier than this, perhaps to equal it but not heavier.

It reminds me of the stories my dad used to tell of the snowstorm of Jan' 1940 when this area had 2-3ft of level snow from a 48 hr snowfall.

Posted

Yeah, i'm a little frustrated, not too dissapointed because i know for a fact we are going to get a few pastings over the coming few days, and possibly 2 weeks lol.

I suppose it just makes radar watching all that more exciting/serious.

Lewis

radar watching is like a roller coaster! last night was a nice suprise! just wished she had kept our snow cover here

Posted

It's funny how the heaviest snow always seems to fall just before it finally stops.

Snowfall_02012010.wmv

Yeah I've noticed this and this is also true of rain showers.

As for snow flakes sizes... I remember the final day that it snowed here last winter, one evening finishing work, we were very lucky and got an absolute pasting >10cm - of course didn't last long most had gone by the morning as a warm sector arrived overnight and thus winter ended. I digress, the biggest flakes I had ever ever seen. They were immense, everyone at work just stopped and looked outside in awe.

Posted

Secondly in the classic winters I wonder what the SSTs have been... hmm

ive been surfing the north east coast from Scarborough northwards for nearly 5 years now and havnt seen it this cold for years! 7c is cold for this time of the year, been a month since i was last in so deffo will notice it when i next get in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

yes , been watching that band out in the North Sea all morning .....relatively slow moving ......i think the main intense bit of it will hit us well after dark around Beverley .....dew points should be OK by then .....perhaps a decent fall between 8pm and 12 tonight for areas just north of the Humber

The most SEly part of that band in the N Sea is now moving in our general direction so I think it will do something before dark. Dusting still on the ground here but any precip will be marginal, although temps will start to drop again in about an hour and half so you never know.

Currently 1.3°C here with a DP of -1.8°C. Rise in temp does seem to have slowed (stopped?) now.

Posted

Just taken the opportunity to look at current SSTs myself Lewis. In previous years I've seen lots of green anomalies (Unisys) at this time of year in the m-word winter. If we start seeing -2.0-1.5c anomalies in the North Sea or in the Baltic Sea I would be very impressed.

That would be very very impressive mate,

just went through some pdf's online etc trying to find some evidence and accurate records of lowest North Sea temps, i could not come across it but here is something very interesting i found, regarding average temps of the past 60 years or so in the North Sea.

Whats Global Warming? :D

post-2644-12624358585813_thumb.jpg

You may think its warmed a considerable amount but it has not really, especially when you look at the real time SSTS now;

SST.GIF

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

rain seems to be turning to snow here now, dont think its worth getting to excited. back to rain again.

Edited by sparky1972

Posted

Lewis, yeah thats an interesting chart. Without commenting on GW, that does give a clear indication of why are winters are becoming increasingly milder.

Most people would expect them warm anomalies to have gotten even more pronounced since 2002, personally I feel they will have stablised.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Turned back too light sleet now. Should soon die out then it's a question whether the wintry stuff further north makes it here or not.

Posted

Turned back too light sleet now. Should soon die out then it's a question whether the wintry stuff further north makes it here or not.

Great pictures from on the tops, I'm guessing it would be quite tricky up there :D

Still snowing here, only a slushy covering though. I expect most it to melt when this stops.

Posted

Lewis, yeah thats an interesting chart. Without commenting on GW, that does give a clear indication of why are winters are becoming increasingly milder.

Most people would expect them warm anomalies to have gotten even more pronounced since 2002, personally I feel they will have stablised.

Yep, i totally agree, i think they have definitely stabilized, i think one strong indication of this is how less marginal events are becoming even closer to the coast i remember back in 2003-2004, the second anything become marginal, i was guaranteed it to become pear shaped.

I also think the GFS is having problems regarding the SSTS in the North Sea, if I'm right im sure they don't take into account SSTS. GFS showed a dew 1-2c max here at 12pm, it's still below 0c. And to top it off, i'm currently experiencing a NE wind. So that it's self is an indication.

I think we had a warming up period, and now it has stabilized and will now start to cool.

Lewis

Posted

We've had a couple of inches in about two hours here. It eased up to light snow about ten minutes ago and I thought the streamer was sinking south but it's now pepped up again though not as thick and fast as an hour ago.

It's also looking likely that the band of snow heading inland on Teeside will arrive in South Yorks later this evening.

Posted

Having looked closer at the chart Lewis, the colours although striking to the eye on first glance do in fact only show a general increase of 0.5c.

I've saved that chart for future reference, great find.

My trust in GFS mapping current conditions is very low to say the least.

Posted

Will keep an eye on the band up north during the day. Current Snow/Sleet has just about stopped. Expecting quite thaw in the next couple of hours. Would have gave a few cm's if it had been a little cooler and the ground wasn't so slushy. Oh well

Posted

Mark, I am constantly surprised inland locations are talking about Sleet and problems with Dew Points given that coastal locations such as Grimsby and Hull are defaulting to great powder snow. Thawing is inevitable between the clouds and showers when the sun can get to work.