Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 6

DR Hosking

Posted

@ Blitzen

That's a new one (I'm not a native, BTW - from Cumbria originally). Since moving up here I've seen good sized dumps from big flakes (like yesterday - they were massive, kiwi fruit size in some cases) & small flakes (& snow pellets/graupel) - I think it may depend on the time of year...? Also you tend to get big flakes when the DP/temp is vaguely marginal for snow so often it melts as quickly as it falls...I suppose this could make a big fa' seem like a wee fa'!

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Snow falling in Inverness, some lovely looking showers about to start pushing down the Moray Firth :lol:

Posted

-2c currently, cloudy and we have had a light covering in the last hour, watching the radar as the precipitation moves into the Firth we may get some more out of that if it keeps moving west. Fantastic ice day today with icicles up to 2 feet long hanging from the steading roof with the heat of the cattle melting the snow.

Posted

Ok not that it really matters, but I would like to bring this up before the "spell" ends so I can't be accused of adding my grapes which might be sour after the fact..

remember earlier when I was actually looking for some meaningful warning/alerts? I do put a lot of faith in NWx obviously, but this is laughable:

That was the warning I got when clicking on the Scotland alert :lol: , Snow Good!

Southern Scotland gets a mention then we're into England.. pray tell; me why that's in the Scottish Alert, and why the real Scottish alert didn't happen? We oop North have closed airports and ICY roads too, don't we?

You have no idea how much I agree with you. All I can say is contact the forecast writer or NetWevva as a whole..

To this day, and after five years or so of query-ing ** I still can't believe Scotland is lumped in as one entire region when it's such a vast country weather-wise.

Sometimes I think it's laziness or ignorance on behalf the forecaster.

**( my profile shows 2008, Mondy was born Aug 2004 on NW)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

That system does appear to be getting closer doesn't it? Can we dare to hope?

Posted

Well, the road that was clear is now covered again and it is really starting to come down now. I shall be interested to see what we have in the morning, but for now I am signing off. Night all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

That system does appear to be getting closer doesn't it? Can we dare to hope?

The 18Z sticks with it going over us, so I think there is reason to believe that it will hit. If it does, we could end up with quite a lot of snow!

Well, the road that was clear is now covered again and it is really starting to come down now. I shall be interested to see what we have in the morning, but for now I am signing off. Night all!

If that was down here most of us in the south would be up all night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Strange, this is a brilliant time for snow watching in Scotland and yet...... tumbleweed has just rolled through here (almost literally going by the above signature!).

Posted

wonder if that lump of snow over the north east will make it down here to the south west by the early hours? its certainly moving in that direction going by the radar. mind the Highlands will have a gd chew at it on its way down!

Posted

wonder if that lump of snow over the north east will make it down here to the south west by the early hours? its certainly moving in that direction going by the radar. mind the Highlands will have a gd chew at it on its way down!

It might, but not before we get a few inches!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

6+ hours of snow today...

4 inches (10cm) of level snow...

a week of wintry weather so far...

sub-zero temps again tonight - and plummeting...

ECM & GFS showing the cold continuing into the New Year...

3 days till Crimbo and (for most of us), there will be no thaw!!!! :help::crazy::shok::shok:

Carlsberg don't do the Perfect Christmas, but if they did... :D:D:D:yahoo::crazy::yahoo::shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I would have thought that Aberdeen should be getting a pasting looking at the radar, no?

Posted

Thought it worth a look at the netweather mesoscale model (NMM) for 6am in the morning. It suggests an interesting dawn for the central belt but those 850s are rising...

post-1217-12615254052513_thumb.png

post-1217-12615254225013_thumb.png

Posted

Thought it worth a look at the netweather mesoscale model (NMM) for 6am in the morning. It suggests an interesting dawn for the central belt but those 850s are rising...

post-1217-12615254052513_thumb.png

post-1217-12615254225013_thumb.png

Remember, though, how cold it has been at the surface today across the central belt, so perhaps the slight changes in uppers will make less of a difference to the type of precipitation, at least away from the coast.

Posted

I agree LS. It was the same overnight last night, with -4ºC 850s widespread - but only snow falling :)

Posted

I would have thought that Aberdeen should be getting a pasting looking at the radar, no?

[/qu

na i was expecting it to b heavy with the warnings out but no. id say theres a few cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Here's a few photos taken with the PG fairly rubbish camera phone of the snowy south side of Glasgow (Shawlands and Battlefield) from earlier on today.

Will try and take a few more tomorrow in daylight coz the snow's still gonna be there! :):):yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

This December is now up there with 1995 and is heading for 1981 status at this rate if the ECM and GFS (slightly) FI charts verify.

Now, will the cold hang on long enough for the Holy Grail of an outdoor Grand Match? There has to be a chance this winter. :D

post-6412-12615259355013_thumb.jpg

post-6412-12615259637913_thumb.jpg

post-6412-12615259856813_thumb.jpg

post-6412-12615261220013_thumb.jpg

post-6412-12615261403313_thumb.jpg

post-6412-12615261681013_thumb.jpg

Posted

No it's as I thought, it's slightly inland.. take a look at the Huntly Cam

Yes that means me. just let the dog out and dug a path through an inch of snow in the driveway while I was at it :)

PS: the inch+ was from a previously cleared bit at 4:30pm

Edited by Snooz

Posted

If inland is getting clobbered a bit more, that has got to be good news for those a bit further south with the flow coming more from the north than northeast. The Huntly cam is brilliant - just waiting for Dundee to show snow then I know we're in business.

Posted

I'm not expecting anything here really, The Met Office are basically having none of it as far as the snow getting this far south.