Welcome To The Netweather Forum!

Sign In or Register for full access to the community - including the regional forums.

Photo

The Great Gale Of Mid-October 1881

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 Weather-history

Weather-history
  • Members
  • 13,453 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:37

This was a nasty storm which zipped across the Border regions of the UK on the 14th October 1881

Posted Image

Some reports

Strathfield Turgiss: Considerable damage done to trees, houses and agricultural buildings

Banbury: A factory blown down near the railway station, many hundred trees uprooted or broken

Culford: Considerable damage to trees

Cossey: A hurricane on the 14th, many trees blown down or broken

Circencester: Many trees blown down, unthatching ricks in all directions.

Woolstaston: A most destructive hurricane on the 14th, many large trees blown down.

Boston: An immense number of trees destroyed. 977mb at 11am

There was a great loss of life and shipping in the North Sea.

35 trees were blown down in Greenwich Park.
Manchester Summer Index 2014: 237 (up to 19th August)

#2 Coast

Coast

Rider on the storm

• Members
  • 33,294 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:43

The Eyemouth disaster was a severe European windstorm that struck the southern coast of Scotland, specifically Berwickshire, on 14 October 1881. 189 fishermen died; most of them were from the village of Eyemouth. Many citizens of Eyemouth call the day Black Friday.

wikipedia.org

This, Scotland's worst ever fishing disaster, devestates what was until today, a prosperous East coast fishing village as well as claiming numerous ships off Ireland. 'I went to sea, taking three Fishermen with me ... One of them poor fellow, had lost three brothers, even now I an hardly, get his sad, wistful look out of my mind, ever scanning the face of the sea, with an eager, yearning look. Alas! All in vain ... the terrible state of distress at Eyemouth baffles description. In one block of 12 houses there are eight widows to say nothing of the orphans reports a letter to The Times 'Black Friday', as it becomes known claims 129 men from Eyemouth that day which was roughly half the male adult population of the town. 45 boats went out to sea but sadly only 26 returned. 73 women lost their husbands and 263 children lost their father.

Many drown 50 yards of the harbour, under the eyes of their families, prompting calls for non-tidal 'harbours of refuge along the coast.

List of those who perished

Posted Image

ERECTED
BY PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION
TO
THE MEMORY OF
189 EAST COAST FISHERMEN
OF WHICH
129 BELONGED TO EYEMOUTH
WHO PERISHED AT SEA
ON 14TH OCTOBER 1881

WHEN THOU PASSEST THROUGH THE WATERS
I WILL BE WITH THEE

SAAB Convertible

Posted Image

Now, you listen here:'e's not the Messiah,'e's a very naughty boy!
Views & opinions expressed in any of my posts are my own - but the voices made me do it