Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Earliest London snowfall

Weather-history

Posted

According to Bonacina, the earliest snowfall to have been recorded in London was on the 25th of September 1885.

From the Times of 26th September 1885

sept1885a.jpg

Other reports from this month.

Langton Herring: The great cold from 25th to 28th was very remarkable and sleet and hail fell in many places.

Culford: On the 26th, the frost cut down most of the bedding and other tender plants.

Seathwaite: First snow on hills on 23rd

Minima

Camden Square: 0.9C (27th)

Hitchin: -0.5C (28th)

Bury St Edmunds: -2.2C (26th)

Orleton: -2.8C (28th)

Leicester: -0.2C (28th)

Braemar: -3.3C (27th)

Dublin: 1.3C (27th)

Omagh: -1.1C (26th)

Posted

That is remarkable!!!!!

I`ve never seen snow in september not as I can remember, air frosts in sept 1986 taking the leaves of the bottom half of the trees but thats all.

Posted
That is remarkable!!!!!

I`ve never seen snow in september not as I can remember, air frosts in sept 1986 taking the leaves of the bottom half of the trees but thats all.

Here's a report from Spencer Russell of Southwater, Sussex

"Sharp snow showers were experienced here on the evenings of September 10th and 11th (1912). On the former date, at 7pm, a well-defined pallium of mammato-cumulus spread over the sky from the north, accompanied by a keen northerly wind. Between 7.15 and 7.20pm, snowflakes of considerable size fell. Throughout the 12th, the sky bore that peculiar appearance, hard, steely blue-black in colour that one commonly associates with a snowfall in winter, and between 9.00 and 9.10pm there was a fall of fine powdery snow. Two balloonists who made a journey from Battersea to Brighton on the evening of the 10th , experienced a very heavy snowstorm at an altitude of 5000ft.

During the last 11 years in the southern counties, the earliest record that I have of snow was at Epsom, Surrey, at 10.20pm on September 19th 1910."

Edited by Mr_Data

• 2 years later...
Guest Quantumsnow

Here's a report from Spencer Russell of Southwater, Sussex

"Sharp snow showers were experienced here on the evenings of September 10th and 11th (1912). On the former date, at 7pm, a well-defined pallium of mammato-cumulus spread over the sky from the north, accompanied by a keen northerly wind. Between 7.15 and 7.20pm, snowflakes of considerable size fell. Throughout the 12th, the sky bore that peculiar appearance, hard, steely blue-black in colour that one commonly associates with a snowfall in winter, and between 9.00 and 9.10pm there was a fall of fine powdery snow. Two balloonists who made a journey from Battersea to Brighton on the evening of the 10th , experienced a very heavy snowstorm at an altitude of 5000ft.

During the last 11 years in the southern counties, the earliest record that I have of snow was at Epsom, Surrey, at 10.20pm on September 19th 1910."

Wow, thanks for posting this, that's just down the road from me.

Would this have been more remarkable considering Southwater isn't exactly a million miles from the coast?