Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

May 23rd Reports & Pictures

Stu

Posted

Another active day in North West Kansas along the I70 corridor. Today I was able to film 4 tornadoes, and reach another miles stone in that I now have 40 tornadoes in my chase portfolio.

Started the day from Colby and picked Quinter !as my target. I was worried about the cloud shield over Quinter so headed south towards clear and toasty warm temps. At Scott City I saw the first cell fire to the East and targeted it – however a duff move in taking a gravel road (which turned to mud) meant that I lost the cell – however on reaching I70 to my north I was able to move west and Capture the same cell producing a wedge then as a cone #1 Tornado as it crossed I70 just west of Quinter, I followed the meso (quite close) to the north of Quinter where it morphed into a stove pipe #2 Tornado.

I was able to then move south and target the biggest wedge #3 Tornadothat I have ever seen – an easy mile wide, 10 miles south of Quinter in grove county (dirt rods again) by some fluke I was then able to get back on to the interstate to see the same tornado now reduced in width but about ½ mile wide south if the interstate – it crossed I70 just West of Quinter. (many chasers saw that tornado at this stage)

Next after dark …. I was south and able to see the large ¼ mile wide cone #4 Tornado as it passed to the east of Ellis, (my 40th Tornado)

Finally finished in Hayes were was able grabb the last room at the sleep Inn at Hayes – all of a sudden PaulK and Helens walks inn – we then had stake and beers to celebrate our tornadoes today.

Posted

Not too bad a day in the end :)

At it was Explosive updraughts, a wedge and satellite, a stovepipe that curled out before roping, a fleeting stovepipe which disappered behind Ness City Grain silos on the way back into Ness before I could get a coherent photo off and last but not least another stove lit up by it destroying power lines, before a dassling lightning show on the way back to Great Bend, was not the worst way to spend a day ever!!!

Back next year - It's not if but which tour :) Though I think I'm going to be owed a lot of steaks with the complete lack of downtime we will get :)

post-3947-1211608495_thumb.jpg - Nice updraughts!!!

post-3947-1211608471_thumb.jpg

post-3947-1211608424_thumb.jpg - A bit of Mammatus

post-3947-1211608508_thumb.jpg - The very end of the Wedge, roping up

post-3947-1211608446_thumb.jpg - Nice Stovepipe

post-3947-1211608460_thumb.jpg - Starting to curl

Andy

Posted

An absolutely incredible Chase for the Netweather Team today where we bagged 5 Tornadoes but should have been more, many of these Supercells contained at least 2 Tornadoes at the same time!

We started the day in Hays (Kansas) with a Chase target of between Dodge and Garden City, the 1st cell of the day fired between Dodge and Garden but quickly raced towards the I70 at 50mph, the dryline then lit up and our first intercept came just North of Dighton. We core punched the North east side of the storm which contained Baseball sized Hail, and when we emerged the other side saw an amazing 1/2 to 1 mile wide wedge Tornado just 2 miles to our west, then out of the wrapping rain curtains came a Satelite Cone Tornado, the RFD Then hit us so we re-positioned.

Nick F is going to post the youtube clip which contains the Wedge and Baseball sized hail intercept, but here is a picture of the Satelite

post-24-1211609668_thumb.jpg - Satelite Tornado

post-24-1211610175_thumb.jpg - 1 Mile Wide Wedge Tornado

We then watched the Meso Occlude and then drop our 3rd Tornado of the day about 20 miles North of Dighton, an incredible Stove Pipe Tornado

post-24-1211609736_thumb.jpg

We then went east to intercept yet another Supercell and witnessed another White Cone Tornado, the other guys have pictures of this. We then raced east along Highway 4 and North towards Ellis, we intercepted an Incredible Supercell which had a Mile wide Wedge which destroyed the road ahead of us, but just 1 mile to our North West and incredible 1/4 mile wide Cone tornado dropped just to our side, this destroyed a house and the power flashes were incredible, this was near Ellis.

Nick F has video footage of this and it is amazing.

I have increased my Tornado count to 18 now and 11 for this Season

Paul Sherman

Posted

:) 11 this season already!! you are getting better at this storm chasing lark Paul!

Great pictures, can't wait to see some more, I bet the air was blue all day :)

what I wouldn't give to be out there *big sigh*

Posted

Loubs

I have just posted the 1 mile wide wedge as well, you wait until you see the footage of the house or car getting destroyed, incredible Tornado day, and thanks for the compliments, my signature is getting bigger :)

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Yep, was an incredible day, and suprised it wasn't gven a high risk given the tornado reports. Some great photos and memories from today! Anyway, without further ado, and as it's getting late here at 1.30 in the morning, here is a youtube clip of the tornado which ripped through powerlines near Ellis, Kansas just south of the I-70:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1avSe7hPDbY

Have many pictures and other youtube video to show when I've uploaded everything ... man what a day!

Posted

Justr wanted to say on that video, watch the 2 house lights that are on which then get hit by the Tornado as the power flash lights up the cone Tornado, and Nick that is from the 23rd not 24th :):)

BTW - THE ITV Cameramans footage in High definition is incredible, and when you see it on Tv next year you will be in awe.

Paul S

Posted
Yep, was an incredible day, and suprised it wasn't gven a high risk given the tornado reports. Some great photos and memories from today! Anyway, without further ado, and as it's getting late here at 1.30 in the morning, here is a youtube clip of the tornado which ripped through powerlines near Ellis, Kansas just south of the I-70:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1avSe7hPDbY

Have many pictures and other youtube video to show when I've uploaded everything ... man what a day!

:) Well captured there Nick! must be having the time of your life out there!

my signature is getting bigger

:) so I see :)

BTW - THE ITV Cameramans footage in High definition is incredible, and when you see it on Tv next year you will be in awe.

We got to wait til next year!!! next bloody year!! :):(

Posted

Well spotted Paul, have changed date to the 23rd on video!

While I upload more video, here's some more pics of today ...

Initiation:

post-1052-1211612452_thumb.jpgpost-1052-1211612485_thumb.jpg

Wedge tornado (which also has satellite aswell) near Dighton:

post-1052-1211612573_thumb.jpg

... then a Stove Pipe tornado further north:

post-1052-1211612699_thumb.jpgpost-1052-1211612740_thumb.jpg

post-1052-1211612777_thumb.jpgpost-1052-1211612800_thumb.jpg

more youtube video to come ... need some sleep now!

Posted

fantastic convection in one of them pics. Nick.F.....looks like it as gone realy well this year...

and Paul you have seen quite a few tornados to date...It must be such a rush to see all these storms..and I think you still have over a week to go if Im right...

By the sounds of it you lot have had a better year than last...well done...have fun :)

Nick.F or Paul how far was you from that grey spout..roughly

EDit I see you stated 2 miles away in other post...Blimey dont you lot got ever get scared..lol

also well done Stu and Gorky and Ian I have seenall of your posts and are all fantastic reporting...

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Ok, managed to upload some video off Paul S's camera into youtube of us punching a hail core with baseball size hail to reach the Sern side of a supercell near Dighton KS which was dropping a wedge and satellite tornado right in front of us:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x65_ECbXA2U

... also video clip of us in the Bear's Cage:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XA9Qvdql3NE

Posted

Superb stuff guys, thanks for sharing with us. This storm chasing malarkey is easy isn't it?! :D

Posted
Ok, managed to upload some video off Paul S's camera into youtube of us punching a hail core with baseball size hail to reach the Sern side of a supercell near Dighton KS which was dropping a wedge and satellite tornado right in front of us:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=x65_ECbXA2U

... also video clip of us in the Bear's Cage:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=XA9Qvdql3NE

Nick about 2.48 secs it looks as though there is a small bolt of lightning meters away from the car..is this right......I cant slow or get the frame to analysis it on YouTube....can you confirm...

And that storm was great for photos as there were bolts every few secs...

Posted
2 minutes 46 seconds. :D

Paul so you reckon it was then...it wasnt a reflection off the windscreen

if it wasnt a reflection then just imagine out there with camera...you might have turned to toast

Edited by dogs32

Posted
Paul so you reckon it was then...it wasnt a reflection off the windscreen

I managed to pause it at 2:46, and it looks like a bolt literally next to the car to me. I'm sure Nick will confirm!

Posted

Thanks Paul.B....I couldnt get the frame......You know I was thinking if I was there I would be taken photos. outside the car ..lol.....well my last one probaly....I see why a lot of the time they stay in the car..lesson learnt from my point of view

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Love the latest footage, the wedge in particular. Yet more dents in the cars too :D

Posted
Brilliant stuff thank you so much guys :D .

Digs/Paul B : not only is there a VERY close strike at 2:46 but also very early on at 0.19 secs!

I missed that Andy must look again

EDIT yes....infact that one looked worse

Edited by dogs32

Posted
I missed that Andy must look again

EDIT yes....infact that one looked worse

I missed that one as well! :D

Posted

just managed to get a couple of captures first one looks more like a leader??? (is that what its called? ) and another capture of just after.... hope you don't mind Paul :D

post-164-1211630473_thumb.jpg

post-164-1211630494_thumb.jpg

Totally awesome guys, only way to discribe it.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Chasing in the dark.!!! You bunch of daredevils....LoL...Fantastic footage especially

the one powerflashin', did you find out anything about the building it hit, definately

took it out could see the lights 'pop' as the tornado hit, hope everyone was in their shelters..!

Luckly for Protection Kansas escaped lightly considering it took a direct hit, with damage

mostly confined to uprooted trees and downed powerlines, a commercial building seems at this

time to be the only premises damaged. Hope you got a decent nights sleep, a mere 200 mile drive

to the 10% tornado risk area today, good luck to take your tally of tornadoes over 20 Paul, if the

forecast is to be believed looks like your gonna be busy for another 4-5 days yet..

Andy you could'nt have chosen a better time to hit the states.. i'd put the lottery on if i were you

when you get home..!LOL..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

The BBC have some footage from May 23rd thats worth a look http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7418409.stm