Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cet Analyser

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

After a few weeks of work I'm now releasing my CETAnalyser software for everyone here to use.

The software basically downloads the Met Office CET data and displays it in an easy to read grid. You can then perform commands on the data- for example you could list all the years with below average February's (using 61-90 or 71-00 averages). You could list years in order of hottest summers, coldest winters, mildest January's etc.

The program allows for a fairly wide of searches to be done and includes a command line mode to define your own commands. I shall not detail it all here as the system comes with a help file and has (I hope!) a fairly intuitive interface).

I like it if you'd give it a try and let me know any problems or feedback you have.

Notes: You REQUIRE the Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 (it MUST be version 1.1!) available from Windows Update (under 'Software, Optional'). The installer will complain if you do not have it installed and direct you to a download page. I suggest you use Windows Update to download rather than this link.

To download the program: Goto: http://www.thebottesfordbar.co.uk and choose 'Software' from the menu. It is a 300Kb download. The .NET framework is a 23Mb download.

Please use this thread to ask any questions or give feedback. Hope you find it useful!

Edited by Bottesford

Posted

Looks very good. :)

Is there anyway to manually add in data for this month and last month from Phillip Eden's stats?

Edit - Don't worry I've found the data file.

Edited by P.K.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Cheers chaps - let me know how you get on!

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Just noticed if you ask for years with CET above 10C it doesn't return any results which is wrong as they're plenty of them.

Quite impressed with it overall though.

Posted
Just noticed if you ask for years with CET above 10C it doesn't return any results which is wrong as they're plenty of them.

Quite impressed with it overall though.

Not sure what the problem is there- not getting that issue here. How did you get this problem? Tell me what search string you have in the 'Command String Editor' box and I should be able to help. If I have 'YearCET > 10' then it works fine for me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
Not sure what the problem is there- not getting that issue here. How did you get this problem? Tell me what search string you have in the 'Command String Editor' box and I should be able to help. If I have 'YearCET > 10' then it works fine for me.

Guess what it's working now. :(:)

Posted
Guess what it's working now. :(:)

Ah good good! Anyone else have problems, etc? Keen for feedback since I know how software bugs always sneak through!

Posted

No one at all using it? :D

Thought it might have been handy for you CET surfers!

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

NEW RELEASE - Version 1.05

Thanks to a suggestion by WhiteFox I've now added an 'Export to Excel' option to the program. This allows you to build up the data you want to see then export it into Excel for graphing, etc.

Requirements: MS Office 2003 with Excel installed.

It *may* work with older versions - will test tomorrow. The program will complain if the correct version of Excel is not installed but you may choose to try the export anyway. The program will crash if the required component is not found.

I've put a direct link to the new EXE until it has been tested sufficiently.

To install you must download version 1.00 from the above link. Then download this new EXE and copy it over the old one which will probably be found in : C:\Program Files\CET Analyser

Hope someone finds it useful!

Download Link: Version 1.05

Posted

hi Bott

That looks really good. Sadly, alhtough I seem to have 1.0 loaded it will not download for me. Trying to download the 1.5 it tells me I am unable to do it!

sad

John

Posted

If anyone can't get the Excel thing to work just copy the data file and make it a text file and it is easy to then import into any stats program such as R. :)

Edited by P.K.

Posted
hi Bott

That looks really good. Sadly, alhtough I seem to have 1.0 loaded it will not download for me. Trying to download the 1.5 it tells me I am unable to do it!

sad

John

Would you be able to ellaborate John? Are you saying you have version 1.00 installed but it won't download the data file? This might be due to a firewall preventing it connecting to the internet. To fix - either sort the firewall or download the data file from this link (MetOffice site) and rename the file to 'Data.dat'. This file should then *not* look like a text file. If it does, you're hiding file extensions. To fix the file open it in notepad and save it out again and call it "Data.dat" (INCLUDE QUOTES). Then place the file in C:\Program Files\CETAnalyser. Start the program and your data will appear. As you can see, it's easier to get the prog to do it for you!

What trouble are you having with version 1.05? The download link seems fine to me.

The Excel component is a bit of a pain since I cannot include it with the app (MS might kill me!) but I can only compile with one version of Office (I can get access to any version however). Will try to make it better soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi Bott,

I just noticed your analyser and have downloaded it.

Great bit of software for a reports freak like me.

Love it.

Well done and thanks.

John

Posted
Hi Bott,

I just noticed your analyser and have downloaded it.

Great bit of software for a reports freak like me.

Love it.

Well done and thanks.

John

Cheers John, glad you're finding it useful!

New version coming this evening with Excel issues fixed. Should now work with most versions of Office.

Few other little fixes too.

Coming next - more powerful searches, for example, finding largest CET drop from month to month and putting them into order.

Any other ideas I'd love to hear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

New version coming this evening with Excel issues fixed. Should now work with most versions of Office.

Coming next - more powerful searches, for example, finding largest CET drop from month to month and putting them into order.

Hi Bott,

Great work.

I look forward to these new releases.

If I have any ideas I will let you know but you seems to have a very sound application there,

John :D

Posted

Cheers again John!

New release now ready. So go grab version 1.06 from the links in my sig.

This version fixes Excel issues and will hopefully work with most versions of Office.

Posted
This file should then *not* look like a text file. If it does, you're hiding file extensions. To fix the file open it in notepad and save it out again and call it "Data.dat" (INCLUDE QUOTES).

Opening it in Wordpad it looks like a text file. :)

Posted
Opening it in Wordpad it looks like a text file. :huh:

Sorry I mean the icon for the file should not look like a textfile. Since many people hide file extensions, this is the easiest way for them to identify file types.

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

*bump* to avoid auto prune! IN case anyone's still interested...

• 4 months later...
Posted

Version 1.07 has been released.

This fixes a bug where you couldn't display results for 2006.

The display range now defaults to show up to the current year (and will continue to work in future years!).

Any problems/feedback then please let me know. Be interested to know if anyone use this...

Posted

Nice idea Bott, but why use the met office data for your dataset? Sorry to be so picky, but it only has a history of 35 years. Surely the real Manley set would have been a better starting point?

Posted
Nice idea Bott, but why use the met office data for your dataset? Sorry to be so picky, but it only has a history of 35 years. Surely the real Manley set would have been a better starting point?

This is the met-office dataset. The software downloads from this file: http://www.metoffice.com/research/hadleyce.../HadCET_act.txt

It goes back to 1659 up til April 2006 (at the mo).

Hope you find it useful!