Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Need Help On The Site/forum?

Paul

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

That's a point actually, you could try logging in with the "Remember Me" option unticked, then go to the main page and click "Delete all cookies set by board" and then try logging in again with the "Remember Me" option ticked.

Failing that maybe Paul can reset your password and salt from the ACP?

Posted

There has been another upgrade to the forum today, so it may sort the problem. I haven't had a reply to the support ticket as yet..

Posted

I've done what Summer Storm and Nabraxas have said and guess what, its still logging me out. Its got to be something to do with the computer and not the forum as nobody else is reporting it. But I haven't a clue what it might be.

Posted

Yep, I'm inclined to agree with you there, the second update on the forum should have taken away any chance of it being something to do with the first update last week as it was the same files that were changed..

Maybe the techies at invision will come up with something though...

Guest Phil_Uk

Try this suggestion I'm about to make. Sounds like a cookies issue to me.

If you are using Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6. Can you see what looks like an eye with a 'no entry' sign across it in the task bar?

If yes, then double left click on that, use the drop down menu and select all web sites. Then in the list of web sites visited, look for either http://www.net-weather.co.uk or .com, then place mouse arrow over the URL when found and make sure 'Always accept cookies from this site' is ticked. If not, then click on that to make sure. Then try logging in again. You shouldn't be registered as logged out.

It may not be the ultimate solution, but it's all I can think of at the moment. Unless there is a possible flaw in the software that Paul is using, in which case he'll do his best to help I'm sure.

Phil.

Posted

There isn't a no entry sign in the taskbar. I tried what you said but its made no difference.

Posted

I'm going to try one thing - as nabraxas suggested, i can reset your password etc, it will log you out and I will have to email you a new password so bear with me :D

Posted

I just opened Spy Sweeper and noticed this:

IE Tracking Cookies Shield: Removed jonathan@www.net-weather.co[2].txt

Do you think this might be causing a problem?

Posted

I have no idea what the jonathan bit is about, but yes if spy sweeper is removing the cookie then that would be the cause of you being logged out all the time :D

Posted

I have no idea what the jonathan bit is about

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, thats my name.

Posted

Lol, thats my name.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it means that the Spy Sweeper has removed the NW cookie, why is another question....

Posted

Ah, sorry I didn't know that was your name!!

As for the reason why it removed the n-w cookie, its over sensitive, the cookie could be considered a tracking cookie as it stores where you are on the forum etc but that is totally standard for forums. Invision (the forum makers) have 1000's of customers using these forums and there is no element of maliciousness within the cookies it uses.

Do you have a setting on the spy sweeper that you can change to allow the cookie?

Posted

Ah, sorry I didn't know that was your name!!

As for the reason why it removed the n-w cookie, its over sensitive, the cookie could be considered a tracking cookie as it stores where you are on the forum etc but that is totally standard for forums. Invision (the forum makers) have 1000's of customers using these forums and there is no element of maliciousness within the cookies it uses.

Do you have a setting on the spy sweeper that you can change to allow the cookie?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Posted

Sorry to chuck a spanner in the works ..but I have had exactly the same problem..This site just does not recognise me any more where as others do. :D

KT

Just to add..Its not a major problem re-logging on..Just thought you may like to know its not an isolated incident.

Edited by KTtom

Posted

Thanks KTtom, the techies at invision are looking into all this, so fingers crossed it'll be sorted soon :D

Posted

Just as an update, I've spoken to the people at Invision, they've looked into the normal things that may cause this, but haven't found any problems so they're going to look into it further for us.

In the meantime, if anyone else is having this problem please let me know :)

Posted

Paul; did you ever set up the Cookie settings in the ACP, I know they're not compulsary, but it's just an idea as I know of a couple of people who have set this information up, it working for a couple of months and then suddenly stopping, this was resolved by removing all the information from the cookie settings.

I didn't bother putting any information in the cookie setting on my board and people still stay logged in, so I'm not 100% sure what the idea of the cookie settings are.

Guest Phil_Uk

I can see invision online now so maybe a resolution can be found soon.

And I apologise to Thundery that my idea didn't solve your problem. :)

Phil.

Posted

Do you have an alternate browser installed?

As you could try logging in with that and seeing what happens.

jonathan will be the computer account name.

Posted

Paul; did you ever set up the Cookie settings in the ACP, I know they're not compulsary, but it's just an idea as I know of a couple of people who have set this information up, it working for a couple of months and then suddenly stopping, this was resolved by removing all the information from the cookie settings.

I didn't bother putting any information in the cookie setting on my board and people still stay logged in, so I'm not 100% sure what the idea of the cookie settings are.

I haven't touched the cookie settings to be honest and i suspect that would have been the first thing that Invision checked just now so i'm guessing they're ok :)

I think it must be a localised problem that only effects people with certain setups..

Posted

Hopefully this issue has now been sorted - Invision have made a few changes to the cookie settings on the board. Please let me know how it is :)

Posted

Unfortunatly its still logging me out Paul. I think we can rule out a problem with the forum. Its more likely to be the computer as Spy Sweeper is still removing the tracking cookie. I've looked around for an option to allow the net-weather cookie but I can't find one. Perhaps I should just uninstall Spy Sweeper and then reinstall it again?

Posted

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Spy Sweeper but its made no difference. What I can't understand is why its recently decided it will remove the net-weather cookie. Its not even malicious. The only way that I can see of getting around the problem is switching the IE Tracking Cookie Shield off but I'd rather not do that.