Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Risk Discussion - 23rd July 2013 onwards

Coast

Posted

They have a no storms club, by the sound of it they should make just a "no weather" club too.

Ha ha ha I like that a lot :-) I might ask one of the mods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Couple of interesting looking towers going up to the South of me, one near Ollerton area has gone pretty quickly..

Yes just looked to my east and i can clearly see it rising fast.Posted Image

Posted

Even Kev's sounding down about the situation!

In all honesty, the Sat night/Sun night 'event' will probably be watered down/moved out of reach etc etc as we edge closer.

Paul Sherman was talking about the lack of storms for his area and to be fair it has been poor but I mentioned, have you ever heard of anyone chasing storms in NW England? A storm which would think as a beauty for here, he would probably wet himself over with laughter.

I videoed this and this has been the storm event of the year so far back in May :doh:

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Don't even mention the March snow shield. I've tried my best to forget about that travesty. I almost needed a new laptop and a pane of glass because mine was close to going through the window.[/quote

I know it was the one vivid memory of the winter and it was the moment you speak about. Strange I remember that day more than Christmas Day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Heat thundersnow heatwaves and freezing fog

The sky's looking pretty stormy to my south winds dropped aswell heard some rumbles this morning been quiet this end

Posted

Distant flashes to the south with long rolling thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Paul Sherman was talking about the lack of storms for his area and to be fair it has been poor but I mentioned, have you ever heard of anyone chasing storms in NW England? A storm which would think as a beauty for here, he would probably wet himself over with laughter.

I videoed this and this has been the storm event of the year so far back in May Posted Image

Yeah but we used to get some crackers Kev. There's no denying that they've become a lot more scarce this side of the Pennines over the last few years. Especially an area encompassing NE Wales, Shropshire and Cheshire. Lincolnshire on the other hand seems to have flourished!

Posted

Well Part 2 was even more of a damp squid than part 1 here this morning with heaviest cores staying to the east

Posted

The sky's looking pretty stormy to my south winds dropped aswell heard some rumbles this morning been quiet this end

hi, certainly a few rumbles of thunder here with very light rain

Posted

Well Part 2 was even more of a damp squid than part 1 here this morning with heaviest cores staying to the east

Is that opposed to a dry squid? Now that wouldn't be good (for the squid).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather.

Yeah but we used to get some crackers Kev. There's no denying that they've become a lot more scarce this side of the Pennines over the last few years. Especially an area encompassing NE Wales, Shropshire and Cheshire. Lincolnshire on the other hand seems to have flourished!

I assure you North East Lincolnshire hasnt. Its been terrible since about 2007. I miss storms!!

Posted

Distant flashes to the south with long rolling thunder.

That'll be the cell coming over Lincoln...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Anyone want a trip to the pub to drown their sorrows. My understanding was that it would head in from the west and fire up as it headed East. Think Meto need to update their servers from cloudcukoo to real world.

Posted

Anyone want a trip to the pub to drown their sorrows.

Well that's the only thing we'll be drowning in any time soon. It's like a dustbowl out there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Anyone want a trip to the pub to drown their sorrows. My understanding was that it would head in from the west and fire up as it headed East. Think Meto need to update their servers from cloudcukoo to real world.

Posted Image   They are still banging on about us having a wet night etc etc - erm either me radar is on the blink or they have it seriously wrong!  (I suspect the latter)

Posted

That'll be the cell coming over Lincoln...

Yes now showing some signs of moving north Posted Image . Cloud to ground lightning now visual.

Edited by Cal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Net Weather storm risk map for tonight:

Posted Image

Looks a bit optimistic for my area I think. The 70% area is not far from the Nottingham cell though. Virtually nothing happening in France/Belgium tonight on radar so far.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe

Looks like a quiet night again in East Durham, highlight was a muggy warm hour that seems to have passed, it did feel very uncomfortable but I think thats our lot.

Posted

Theres another cell popped up just south of me.. Could merge with the Lincoln cell if things go right.

Posted

Great haha you gotta love the excitement though!

Paul you couldn't use your skills and give me an idea of what is happening up here could you?  Cells are appearing then some are moving due north and others NNW - and to top it all that Notts storm has a huge area of cloud associated to the north of it now right up the coast - we have been forecast a soaking overnight but I am baffled as to where they are getting this from as the cells and storms are all moving north in to Scotland?

Tbh

I would have thought NE England would have fared very well today, is there an onshore breeze keeping the humidity tother side of the Penines ? Dont really know the landscape that well North of Leeds etc, I know some of the guys further down the Coast have been complaining about a constant sea breeze keeping it cool etc

Posted

Missed out on the early July 2001 ones, too far east but I do remember some very good storms including mid May 1997 that was a cracker.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Tbh

I would have thought NE England would have fared very well today, is there an onshore breeze keeping the humidity tother side of the Penines ? Dont really know the landscape that well North of Leeds etc, I know some of the guys further down the Coast have been complaining about a constant sea breeze keeping it cool etc

To be fair it has felt muggy - and in Middlesbrough 40 miles south of Newcastle it felt almost tropical.  Very sticky here too this afternoon in Tyneside.  Had a cracking little storm this morning with C-G lightning but apart from that nada lol  The Meto are still going for thundery showers / rain tonight I just can't see where it's coming from!

I have decided though I am booking up for next years storm chase- 100% I need to see some real action!

Edited by Wishful-Thinking

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Could that rain off Cornwall that seems to be tracking N/E have any storm potential in it ??????

Posted

Missed out on the early July 2001 ones, too far east but I do remember some very good storms including mid May 1997 that was a cracker.

There was some crackers early 00's. August '03? spent a week in Rhyl.....plume type event pummelled us one night, constant thunder, lightning and torrential rain for most of the night. Pink tinged lightning too. Then another year sometime around the early 00's there was a vicious squall line that passed through. I remember Rob Mcelwee presenting the radar on the weather......red radar returns stretched down the length of the UK. I remember the clouds approaching- it was a wall of black. The rain was that heavy it punched a hole in the roof of several places in Crewe (Morrisons supermarket included I think). Water was up to the patio doors of my auntie's house. Then there was August 2007......the best storm I've ever witnessed. Developed in situ and produced an hour or so of hail and torrential rain, along with constant thunder. Hail was flowing down the roads in sheets on top of torrents of water! Several homes flooded out with that one.