Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire & Lincolnshire Regional Discussion - January 18th 2013>

Snowangel-MK

Posted

Had light and occasional slightly moderate snow for a few hours now, i live high up and i'm exposed so drifting is even happening with as little as we are currently having.

Posted

Go on the regionals, type in barnsley and you'll see the amber warning, same for sheffield. Its due too their forecast heavy snow

for 9pm tonight and 9am in the morning. I wouldn't of made the comment if there was no amber warning.

Noooooo it isn't sorry. The way the computer generated forecasts work is that if one part of the county has a warning then the computer takes it as been the whole county.

Posted

there will be no heavy showers of the north sea tonight or tom reaching sheffield.check the forecast for the love of god

That's because the Easterly is only just starting to drive these showers on to land.... they aren't forecast to get going until this evening and overnight - once the remainder of the frontal snow has fizzled out. Feel free to ask any other knowledge member of these forums as to whether this is what's expected or not.

Can anyone step in and verify the above so SWFC may finally understand and take note?

Posted

That area of showers heading North-east are definitely moving inland now, we're starting to catch some heavier bursts on the edge of it now.

Temperatures still good too at 0.1C and a dewpoint of -0.6C.

Posted

Wind turns EASTERLY after 12am. So this is the time when things should kick off shower wise!

That's because the Easterly is only just starting to drive these showers on to land.... they aren't forecast to get going until this evening and overnight - once the remainder of the frontal snow has fizzled out. Feel free to ask any other knowledge member of these forums as to whether this is what's expected or not.

Can anyone step in and verify the above so SWFC may finally understand and take note?

I can 80% say that the easterly this evening WILL deliver, just take a look NW Xtra Radar from the past 4 hours, the band in the North Sea has just intensified more and more and is now pushing in, theres no reason why it shouldnt give us all a good dumping down the coast and further inland!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Can anyone step in and verify the above so SWFC may finally understand and take note?Itotally understand believe me!The meto forecast has dropped the over night scenaro for any showers moving inland to my area.enough already!!

That area of showers heading North-east are definitely moving inland now, we're starting to catch some heavier bursts on the edge of it now.

Wind turns EASTERLY after 12am. So this is the time when things should kick off shower wise!

I know i keep saying it, but the easterly this evening could turn out to be a decent event with coverage fromSkegness up to at least South Scotland, it woudnt suprise me if these didnt push as far as leeds!

drinks.gif

Edited by Rob Harbord

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I can 80% say that the easterly this evening WILL deliver, just take a look NW Xtra Radar from the past 4 hours, the band in the North Sea has just intensified more and more and is now pushing in, theres no reason why it shouldnt give us all a good dumping down the coast and further inland!

i agree they are moving north east at the moment on a strong south east wind.the forecast for sheffield is for sheffield to recieve no showers from the east.thats it!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

No snow at all at Sandhutton yet- the first batch of frontal stuff headed north but a little hole in the precipitation developed over us as it moved north, then filled in again once it cleared away to the north (though it appears that most neighbouring areas had only a bit of light snow judging by the radar).

Still some more to the south now, but I do seem to have acquired some sort of snow shield so far today!

Posted

Go on the regionals, type in barnsley and you'll see the amber warning, same for sheffield. Its due too their forecast heavy snow

for 9pm tonight and 9am in the morning. I wouldn't of made the comment if there was no amber warning.

Same for Hull updated at 17.00

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

I'm not an expert and I cannot guarantee snow for South Yorks tonight but if the winds back Easterly then the cold uppers and the North Sea should do the rest.

There is no high ground to stop the westward movement of the showers so they should sail up the Humber and easily reach Pennine areas.

That's the theory anyway...as ever radar watching and lamp post viewing will be our best bet!

Just passing through Wakefield on the train at the moment and it looks quite festive with moderate snow and quite large flakes.

Edited by Kentish Snowman

Posted

good evening all, hope you have all had an interesting day, a quick question before my own friday night pub run, do you think that i am to far south for the showers to effect here overnight?

Posted

Glad those on the coast are getting a good covering of snow good.gif

But I want some now, starting to get snow starved lol.

It's properly coming down here, not heavy but decent sized flakes of snow. The radar is intensifying on each run,

Posted

My son just shouted BLIZZARD at the front window.. Roads now covered again after a slight thaw today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Same here, the wind is getting loud too.

It's properly coming down here, not heavy but decent sized flakes of snow. The radar is intensifying on each run,