Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Thanks Flyer - after a few glasses of wine I'm having trouble getting my head round it all! Seen so many conflicting reports everywhere it's hard to know what's going to happen. I think we may get some very light snow tomorrow morning and perhaps some flurries mid week although being so close to the coast, it could be rain instead. Apologies if there are any typos, I blame it firmly on my chardonnay!! drinks.gif

Stormboy - you have me intrigued (unless I've had too much chardonnay and imagined reading your post lol!!!) drunk.gif

I must admit one or two have been had here too drunk.gif but I do not jest as in parts and I suspect potentially not our region will be impending chaos as next weekj progresses. Wasn't there a mammoth uncovered in your neck of the woods in recent years ohmy.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Mammoth? Not that I'm aware of although it's great weather for it! Central southern england seems to get left out of quite a few things which is why I was grateful for our snowstorm on Tuesday even though it was initially forecast for 70 miles west!! As you say, some areas of the country seem to be in for potentially some nasty conditions next week but our south coast region will see rain or sleet at best. However, when I only have to travel a couple of miles to walk along the beach in the summer, or visit my nan who lives right on the beach so I usually have my tea and biscuits sitting on the shore lol I think myself lucky to live where I do!! good.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Ok if anyone wants a bit of re-assurance go to BBC site and watch/listen to Rob Mcelwee. Sensible bloke.

So high ground up to 20cm and hampshire basin (not armitage shanks)low ground up to 5cm or bugger all.

But as the event has got ever nearer we are almost at the nowcasting stage and amounts have gone up so come morning we may have 20ft drifts and be looking to escape with snow shoes from second story windows.

Get out those old tennis rackets.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

You're right - there's always hope! It was raining in Portmouth on Tuesday evening and I decided to drive a few miles to see my mum in Horndean but took my 'cold weather kit' as advised by met office etc e.g. blankets, hot drink, fully charged mobile, full tank of fuel, fully inflated tyres blah blah and lo and behold got stuck on A3 for 5 hours in very heavy snow but I was sorted!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Ok if anyone wants a bit of re-assurance go to BBC site and watch/listen to Rob Mcelwee. Sensible bloke.

So high ground up to 20cm and hampshire basin (not armitage shanks)low ground up to 5cm or bugger all.

But as the event has got ever nearer we are almost at the nowcasting stage and amounts have gone up so come morning we may have 20ft drifts and be looking to escape with snow shoes from second story windows.

Get out those old tennis rackets.

Just saw this forecast and tbh i cant c how it can miss us!!! ok it may not be heavy snow but there will deffo be spells of snow down here over the next couple of days if this forecast is to be believed! :)

I feel much more optimistic after seeing this :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

no quotes, no one liner's...

this set up seems very different... I take back most I mentioned earlier..

The Atlantic (west) is trying to move in.. the Siberian east is fighting plus there's a southerly push too..

Cold sits at the bottom of a fridge (yes!) so the warm moves over ... snow falling throughout - watch the wind and trends.

It's anyone's guess for the next few days but my feelings are that the forscasters are having a nightmare.

enjoy !

Posted

Just saw this forecast and tbh i cant c how it can miss us!!! ok it may not be heavy snow but there will deffo be spells of snow down here over the next couple of days if this forecast is to be believed! :)

I feel much more optimistic after seeing this :)

Thats the spirit IsleofWightSnowGirl !

Check out the next batch of 3 lows potentially forming to the left of Blighty. Could be a mega around Wednesday

Posted

I absolutely love the optimism - keep it up!!! It's much better than getting too downbeat. When things go milder/summer comes we can get excited about thunderstorms! I can't decide which I like most, snow or thunder - both on a par with each other I think!!

Posted

Thats the spirit IsleofWightSnowGirl !

Check out the next batch of 3 lows potentially forming to the left of Blighty. Could be a mega around Wednesday

haha If we hadnt experienced wot we had last week then i wouldnt be half as optimistic now!! :nonono:

But yes im gonna take the bbc forecast literally and get excited about the prospect of snow from early 2moz am thru till weds woo hoo :unsure:

Posted

where is all this ppn comin from then ??? lol

meteox

goin by this there aint any over northern europe either !!

surely we should be seein it on radar now ???

Posted

This week was absolutely amazing wasn't it?!! To think we had a met office red 'take action' right over our region was extraordinary as I haven't seen many of those over the country!

I was lucky enough to be in the midlands last weekend where it snowed heavily too so I've had more than my fair share but it just leaves you wanting more doesn't it......

Coxxy - you're right I haven't got a clue!!! Just had a quick peek outside and mostly clear skies! Off to bed in a mo so look forward to what tomorrow may or may not bring!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

I'm amazed anyone (cold lovers in particular) ca be downbeat over what's happened and what will be happening in the days/weeks to come. For example, if you live in Scotland, the response to normal winter is same ole snow, same ole snow problems down in the South. As for down on the south coast/Isle of Wight/Jersey etc. its normally put the snowflakes in the fridge and this cannot last. If you have already had snow on the coast as I think everyone has celebrate it, blog it, picture it, document it for the future.yahoo.gif

Truthfully, when do you think this is likely to happen again, believe me the raging zonality diablo.gif is waiting to bash us southern softies out of the way but be sure he has a battle on his hands. dirol.gif

Location, location, location is everything but when the south coast gets snow, wishing for more seems like a fantasy but even the odds have swung towards our patch once again for a change.

Truly stunning weather.

STORMBOY

Edited by STORMBOY

Posted

meteox

Ive absolutely no idea! BUT surely BBC who use meto must know something because the south were covered 2moz am and mon!! I dont really look at the radars so hav to trust the forecasters ie bbc and sky :pardon:

Posted

meteox

well, i popped out this evening and since i've been gone the precip has died on its "bottom" (ha ha! the word ar5e was removed from the post!). I too can't really see where anything is going to come from tomorrow. i'm probably missing something, but surely we should see some signs over the continent by now?

Edited by A horse called man

Posted

haha If we hadnt experienced wot we had last week then i wouldnt be half as optimistic now!! :lol:

But yes im gonna take the bbc forecast literally and get excited about the prospect of snow from early 2moz am thru till weds woo hoo :yahoo:

If you want extreme optimism follow Freds forecast (Blast from the Past) together with Roger J Smith. They follow an off the wall approach which I find interesting coupled with Sun and Moon activity.

Even though many scoff they are not so different if at all to controversial Piers Corbyn from WeatherAction.com who predicted this lot 6 months ago. OK when he is wrong boy is he wrong. But when he gets it right one cannot just ignore it. Worth a look.

Posted

Stormboy - beautifully put! I've also read Blast from the Past comments with interest as I don't discount anything. Fabulous times and even if I didn't see anymore snow I will always treasure Tuesday night...... drinks.gif

Posted

Sorry to post again I hope peeps down miss the gist of this as people in the MO discussion in particular seem to forget about the past and present, wow what a situation we are in, snow covered britain help.gif

I'm amazed anyone (cold lovers in particular) ca be downbeat over what's happened and what will be happening in the days/weeks to come. For example, if you live in Scotland, the response to normal winter is same ole snow, same ole snow problems down in the South. As for down on the south coast/Isle of Wight/Jersey etc. its normally put the snowflakes in the fridge and this cannot last. If you have already had snow on the coast as I think everyone has celebrate it, blog it, picture it, document it for the future.yahoo.gif

Truthfully, when do you think this is likely to happen again, believe me the raging zonality diablo.gif is waiting to bash us southern softies out of the way but be sure he has a battle on his hands. dirol.gif

Location, location, location is everything but when the south coast gets snow, wishing for more seems like a fantasy but even the odds have swung towards our patch once again for a change.

Truly stunning weather.

STORMBOY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

I absolutely love the optimism - keep it up!!! It's much better than getting too downbeat. When things go milder/summer comes we can get excited about thunderstorms! I can't decide which I like most, snow or thunder - both on a par with each other I think!!

me too with the optimism. Trying to predict where snow will fall is quite like predicting thunderstorms in the summer... very subjective - and lets face it a learning experience every hour on here.

I guess that's why we're all here... enjoying the un predictability :yahoo:

Mines a pint half full of guiness everytime - topped with 2 cm of the white stuff..

Sunday monday

Posted

Off to bed now - goodnight everyone and happy snow dreams lol!lazy.gif

Posted

Night SLB good luck for the morning xx

And you poppet xx

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW SNOW SNOW

Bit hit and miss this evening for Reading, had few flurries but nothing more, just have to see what we get tonight and tommorrow.

Posted

Still very light snow falling here...

Edited by SunnySouthCoast